CNET Editors' review
Growly Notes for Mac has many features that are useful for note-taking, but it ultimately fails to set itself apart from similar programs.
Upon startup, Growly Notes for Mac immediately brings up a note containing a tutorial, which was very helpful since there were a number of options and features. A top menu contains buttons for the main options, from creating a new notebook to changing colors. The interface could have benefited from larger text or more appropriate graphics for the buttons, to assist new users. During testing, creating a new note was easy. The program allows users to add almost anything to a new note, including pictures, PDF images, and text. While notebooks can be saved and exported, there is no direct link to things like smartphones, which is a feature present on most competing applications. It's also not really clear if active technical support is available, but the program does support updates.
Growly Notes for Mac functions well as a note-taking application, but lacks some of the cross-platform features of competing programs.
From GrowlyBird Software:
Growly Notes lets you capture everything you're interested in, all in one place. Organize research projects, trips, to-do lists, or journals. Scrapbook your images, web links, and video clips. Your imagination is the only limitation.
Pages can contain almost anything: formatted text, images, movies, audio clips, PDF files, tables, lists, web and file links, and drawings you create in Notes. There are no rules for where things have to go: put an image beside text, or under it. Draw shapes on top of other notes. Put two snippets of text right next to each other. Click anywhere and start typing. It's really that simple.
Notebooks are organized into sections (the larger tabs on the left in the image above), each of which contains as many pages as you like. All the open notebooks are shown in one window, for easy navigation and quick jumps.
What's new in this version:
- List editing enhancements.
- The trackpad zoom gesture resizes pictures, drawings, and PDFs.
- Menu of favorite notebooks.
- Toolbar item for most recent tag.
- Manage notebook templates.
- The Scratchpad notebook now does automatic backups.
- PDF search improvements.
- And much more.
More Products to Consider
- Edit mind maps, XML/HTML documents, and directory trees.
- Simple alarm clock & timer.
- Enhanced calendar app with iCal and Google Calendar sync/sharin...
- Scientific and Programmers desktop calculator with variables an...
- Powerful general purpose text editor, and Unix and server admin...
- Save & organize any text you may want handy.
- Countup/countdown chronometer.
- Play a wide range of audio files at variable speed to assist wi...
- Personal finance and money management for individuals and small...
- List of all active shortcuts of the current application.
- Clear duplicate contacts out of Address Book.
- Easy and free Personal todo list and shared task list for your ...
- Sophisticated text editor for code, markup and prose.
- Convert your music to WMA, AAC, WAV, FLAC, OGG or Apple Lossles...
- All-in-1 tool for tracking and analyzing your investments and t...
- Move your cursor off the screen edge to next edge.
- Video SIP softphone application.
- Update image EXIF, IPTC and XMP metadata with location-specific...
- Organize and manage your finances and track your spending.
- A goofy idea organizer and information manager.
- Simplenote-compatible notepad with systemwide keyboard shortcut...
- Watch YouTube videos in a player.
- Quickly create visually appealing mind maps.
- Calculate expressions.
All versions:4.7 stars
out of 3 votes
Current version:0 stars Be the first to review this product
My rating:Write review
Results 1-3 of 3
"One of the best free apps I have ever used!!"
Version: Growly Notes 1.2.14
Attention touring technicians.
It's free...no banners, no ads....just real software that does what it says it can do. I am a touring audio engineer, and this is the best thing I have found to advance my next show. I can be on the phone with the venues Tech Director and take notes at the same time. Then later I can visit the venue's website and copy and past their tech information and any pictures, so that I am prepared before I get there and setup.
Need a better way to share my notes with someone who does not have Growly Notes
If you need an app to organize your notes......look no further.
"I feel I've been gifted with a new and useful toy!"
Version: Growly Notes 1.2.2
GrowlyNotes is so intriguing! I haven't been able to use it yet pending a bit more orientation. Everything I've read and can discern seems to put me in a huge room where creativity is fully encouraged and supported.
For a right-brain program, the instructions seem left-brain. Yet all is forgiven. The features of this program go 'way beyond anything I've used before, especially for free. I'm willing to do my homework!
"good piece of software!"
Version: Growly Notes 1.1.2
user friendly, lots of features, not too complicated, the designer is open to suggestions and very responsive.
not very pretty
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content