CNET Editors' review
Growly Notes for Mac has many features that are useful for note-taking, but it ultimately fails to set itself apart from similar programs.
Upon startup, Growly Notes for Mac immediately brings up a note containing a tutorial, which was very helpful since there were a number of options and features. A top menu contains buttons for the main options, from creating a new notebook to changing colors. The interface could have benefited from larger text or more appropriate graphics for the buttons, to assist new users. During testing, creating a new note was easy. The program allows users to add almost anything to a new note, including pictures, PDF images, and text. While notebooks can be saved and exported, there is no direct link to things like smartphones, which is a feature present on most competing applications. It's also not really clear if active technical support is available, but the program does support updates.
Growly Notes for Mac functions well as a note-taking application, but lacks some of the cross-platform features of competing programs.
From GrowlyBird Software:
Growly Notes lets you capture everything you're interested in, all in one place. Organize research projects, trips, to-do lists, or journals. Scrapbook your images, web links, and video clips. Your imagination is the only limitation.
Pages can contain almost anything: formatted text, images, movies, audio clips, PDF files, tables, lists, web and file links, and drawings you create in Notes. There are no rules for where things have to go: put an image beside text, or under it. Draw shapes on top of other notes. Put two snippets of text right next to each other. Click anywhere and start typing. It's really that simple.
Notebooks are organized into sections (the larger tabs on the left in the image above), each of which contains as many pages as you like. All the open notebooks are shown in one window, for easy navigation and quick jumps.
More Products to Consider
- Edit mind maps, XML/HTML documents, and directory trees.
- Powerful general purpose text editor, and Unix and server admin...
- Quickly create visually appealing mind maps.
- Save & organize any text you may want handy.
- Countup/countdown chronometer.
- Play a wide range of audio files at variable speed to assist wi...
- Personal finance and money management for individuals and small...
- List of all active shortcuts of the current application.
- Enhanced calendar app with iCal and Google Calendar sync/sharin...
- Sophisticated text editor for code, markup and prose.
- Video SIP softphone application.
- Scientific and Programmers desktop calculator with variables an...
- Simple alarm clock & timer.
- Organize and manage your finances and track your spending.
- Spoken-word transcription software.
- Messaging & collaboration client.
- Instant screen sharing for collaboration, training, product dem...
- Phonebook, SMS, gallery, calendar, themes for Nokia phones.
- Better bookmark manager.
- Share your screen with another user quickly and easily.
- Convert your music to WMA, AAC, WAV, FLAC, OGG or Apple Lossles...
- An easy-to-install distribution of Open Atrium.
- Move your cursor off the screen edge to next edge.
- Newsreader with thorough Google Reader integration.
All versions:4.7 stars
out of 3 votes
Current version:5.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"One of the best free apps I have ever used!!"
Version: Growly Notes 1.2.14
Attention touring technicians.
It's free...no banners, no ads....just real software that does what it says it can do. I am a touring audio engineer, and this is the best thing I have found to advance my next show. I can be on the phone with the venues Tech Director and take notes at the same time. Then later I can visit the venue's website and copy and past their tech information and any pictures, so that I am prepared before I get there and setup.
Need a better way to share my notes with someone who does not have Growly Notes
If you need an app to organize your notes......look no further.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content