CNET Editors' review
Fresh is a small, low-cost, file-management utility that essentially offers an amped-up version of the Finder's "Recent Items" lists, along with a quasi-replacement for your Desktop called "The Cooler."
The app's streamlined interface consists of two simple "zones," or panes, which display your "Fresh Files" (basically, anything that's new to your computer or recently changed) and "The Cooler" (a user-defined collection of files that you want to have quick access to). "Fresh Files" is particularly great for tracking downloads and Mail attachments, and the Cooler can come to your rescue when you want to keep tabs on important files or folders. You can also pull up contextual menus on items to reveal them in the Finder (or just see their path), and you can control which files Fresh displays here, too (for example, if you don't need to see .log files, you can have Fresh suppress that extension--or you can have it ignore particular files or folders).
You can pull up Fresh's two zones the way that you pull up any app (for example, through the Dock or by Command-tabbing through apps), or you can use a customizable hot key--and the app's near-invisibility is one of its greatest assets. Fresh also has a hidden tab on the right side of the screen that you can drag files to, for placement in the Cooler or for tagging (Fresh has an optional, searchable tagging system as well).
As with all productivity-enhancing apps like this, Fresh may or may not jibe well with your workflow, but it provides a lot of easy-to-use and potentially time-saving functionality in a sleek, seamless package.
From Ironic Software:
Fresh solves that "Where did I just save that file to?" problem. It also allows you to instantly find anything you download, open, or save, even if you can't remember the name. There is also a cooler area - a dock for your files - where you can store references to files that you are currently using.
What's new in this version: Fixed bugs for 10.9.
More Products to Consider
- Expand RAR archives on your Mac.
- Snow Leopard operating system.
- Add tabs and new features to the OS X Finder.
- Graphical disk usage utility.
- Extract, recover, and backup WhatsApp chat messages on your iPh...
- Mac operating system for Intel-based Macs.
- Search, view, and manage your documents.
- Optimize and customize the Mac OS X operating system.
- Mount, read & write to NTFS-formatted drives under OS X.
- Recover data and photos from lost partitions and drives.
- Zip or unzip your files with this PKZip-compatible compression ...
- Search for images by color, similarity, tag, keyword, size, sha...
- Screen capture utility.
- Media browser, organizer, tagging.
- Expand over 30 formats: StuffIt, Zip, RAR, 7z, tar, open encryp...
- Synchronize your files automatically to your computers and the ...
- Recover files, photos and office documents.
- OS X Mountain Lion is the latest release of the world's most ad...
- Secure your passwords, credit cards, bank accounts & documents.
- MacHider is a cutting edge solution for hiding private data on ...
- Recovers photo, videos and music files efficiently.
- Access applications, documents, folders quickly without wasting...
- Data recovery software.
- Track any folder or disk in a text file.
All versions:3.0 stars
out of 2 votes
Current version:0 stars Be the first to review this product
My rating:Write review
Results 1-3 of 3
"App is not very useful and is unused"
Version: Fresh 1.2.2
Could be handy for accessing frequently used documents or files.
Program crashed several times and seemed limited in capabilities to organize and access files. I quit using it shortly after downloading. It sounded promising, but was disappointing.
This app was unstable, and the "tab" on the right side of the window was in the way at times.
"Makes Life Easier to Manage"
Version: Fresh 1.1.3
Easy way to keep track of recent downloads; keep files you're working on throughout the day at your fingertips
Mac only (would love to have this on my work computer), has a dock icon - I feel that for what it does, a dock icon is unnecessary.
Fresh does what it says it will do - it makes it easier to manage your work/life. I would like the ability to choose my own colors for the backgrounds, but that's not integral to the operation of the program.
"Great idea well executed"
Version: Fresh 1.0
This review was originally posted on VersionTracker.com.
The guys at Ironic Software have made some great software in the past, and this follows in that tradition. It does one thing and that one thing well. It keeps track of the files that you have recently used and downloaded. The program doesn't need to be running to track these changes. There are two parts to this pretty over the top interface. An area that tracks the changed files and a "cooler" where you can store files to refer to later. I'm using a 30" monitor, so I don't know what it looks like on a smaller monitor, but the areas it draws are huge and run across the entire screen. It would be great if there was an option to scale this down. Otherwise it does what is it is supposed to do.