CNET Editors' review
Data Rescue can help you retrieve lost files, whether they were destroyed in a hard-drive crash or just accidentally deleted by some overzealous trash-emptying.
This app has an easy--and even kind of fun--interface, with 3D animations that show available drives and your options for diagnosis and recovery. Once you've chosen a drive to examine, Data Rescue prompts you for an additional drive to use as "workspace" and gives you six choices: a Quick Scan or Deep Scan to find recoverable files; a Deleted Files Scan (good for an accidental deletion on an otherwise healthy drive); Clone, which makes an exact copy of a drive, good if you suspect mechanical problems and want to do recovery on a more stable drive; Analysis, which will clock your drive's read time, a possible predictor of future problems; and FileIQ, in case you need to teach Data Rescue file types that it doesn't already recognize, such as proprietary formats.
Data Rescue is fairly speedy, scanning a removable flash drive in a few minutes or a larger hard drive in hours, with satisfying animations to keep you entertained; for example, you can see a running count of extensions for recovered files, like MP3s or AVIs, which pop up as Data Rescue finds them. Once the app is finished scanning, you'll see a complete list of recoverable files, broken down by folders such as audio, documents, and images, usually with file names and metadata still intact (depending on the extent of the file damage). From the list, you can preview files or simply recover them.
Data Rescue's demo limits you to previewing and recovering a single file of 10MB or less, but that's enough to see this app in action and get a feel for its friendly interface, good documentation, and impressive recovery capabilities. This is the kind of software that you hope you never need--but when you do, Data Rescue is a great app to have.
From Prosoft Engineering:
Data Rescue is the best Mac Hard Drive Recovery Software available today. Data Recovery for your Mac hard drive doesn't get any easier. Try the free demo to see if this Mac recovery software works before you buy! Do you have a corrupt hard drive or one that no longer mounts? Are other tools failing to even recognize your bad drive? Do you need to recover files that have been deleted? Data Rescue 3 is the best digital data recovery software on the market for recovering files from a problem hard drive or that have been previously deleted. Data Rescue 3 works when other tools fail. Data Rescue 3 is also completely safe to use since it does not attempt any risky repairs to the drive it's scanning. This is the safest, most powerful software to recover your hard drive. Data Rescue 3 is the same software used by many data recovery services. You will need to save your recovered files to either an internal or external hard drive (USB or FireWire), removable media device (such as a Zip or MO) or a networked drive. An optional emergency bootable DVD is available.
More Products to Consider
- Data recovery software.
- Recover data and photos from lost partitions and drives.
- Speed Up (Defrag), Clean Up and Optimize Your Mac.
- Maintain, repair, and recover system disk/drive data.
- Expand RAR archives on your Mac.
- Snow Leopard operating system.
- Recover lost data from deleted files, formatted disk, lost raid...
- Graphical disk usage utility.
- Extract, recover, and backup WhatsApp chat messages on your iPh...
- Mac operating system for Intel-based Macs.
- Mount, read & write to NTFS-formatted drives under OS X.
- Hardware/software diagnostic tool.
- Add tabs and new features to the OS X Finder.
- Backup, restore, synchronize data with minimal effort.
- Screen capture utility.
- Expand over 30 formats: StuffIt, Zip, RAR, 7z, tar, open encryp...
- Synchronize your files automatically to your computers and the ...
- Recover files, photos and office documents.
- OS X Mountain Lion is the latest release of the world's most ad...
- Download/upload GPS data to GPX, Google Earth.
- Recovers photo, videos and music files efficiently.
- Clone, synchronize, back up files.
- Tag and rate any file on your Mac. Search for tagged files.
- Restore bmp, jpg, png, tif, mp3 files fast and accurately.
All versions:3.7 stars
out of 93 votes
Current version:1.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
Version: Data Rescue 3.2.3
Didnt work for me.
Pretends to be freeware but you cant recover files under 10 mb like it claims.
Paid for premium version and recovered all my files but they had been overwritten and damaged.