From John Schilling:
BwanaDik is an IP address (WAN and LAN) menu item. Yes, another IP address app. Just what the world needs. You may be asking yourself "why the heck does the world need another IP address application?" Well, it doesn't. But I did. I looked all over for an IP address app that met my needs, and never found one. So I wrote my own. Here's what I wanted in an IP app:
What's new in this version: Works with Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard). No longer supported under 10.4. Ability to send email alerts removed, as Apple removed the ability to do this in Cocoa under 10.5. Thanks, Apple.
More Products to Consider
- Make and receive phone calls and hold cross-platform webcam cha...
- Hear, see, and chat with many people at a time.
- Send free messages and make free calls to other Viber users, on...
- Displays your current IP address in the menu bar and to notify ...
- Video chat/calling tool; see up to 6 friends at once.
- Exchange online messages that appear as soon as they're sent.
- Use your webcam with multiple apps & add cool graphics & effect...
- VoIP softphone for SIP networks, pbx like features.
- Looking to open those frustrating Microsoft Outlook MSG files o...
- Google, Skype, Yahoo, MSN, AIM, Jabber, Facebook, SMS, Fax, and...
- Copy to, move to, or open a recently used mailbox.
- Export to Facebook directly from iPhoto.
- Man page viewer for your browser.
- Access your Infusionsoft data from Apple Mail.
- View Mac OS X man pages.
- Add DSP effects to any Mac application with audio content.
- Add functionality for Apple Mail signatures.
- Network diagnostic tool: traceroute, ping, DNS lookup and whois...
- Auto record Skype phone and video calls.
- Remind yourself to include e-mail attachments if you forget.
- Widget displays internal & external IP addresses.
- Generate short links for Twitter by dragging media to your menu...
- The power of command line without getting near it.
- Instant messaging tool.
All versions:4.5 stars
out of 2 votes
Current version:4.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"i love it, but it keeps disappearing"
Version: BwanaDik 3.3
shows me the status of my 'net connection at a glance, and more at a click.
has been disappearing from my menu bar lately - it might be closing/sleeping my MacBook Pro that makes it go away...but i'm not sure. i've just often looked for it and found it AWOL lately (i'm running 10.6.4)
i've been using BwanaDik steadily on all my machines for about two years now, i think...i love its functionality; it's one of the first things i install after getting a new machine or wiping or creating a new user on an old one. and i don't even use all its functionality - namely, i don't have it display any alerts. i just love its combining the IP-address-in-menu-bar function with the little customizable status light that tells me how my connection's doing at a glance. my only complaint is that version 3.3 doesn't seem to be completely comfortable with 10.6.4; i keep looking for BwanaDik in my menu bar and finding it's quit somewhere along the line...and i've never seen a crash report or alert about it on my screen, so it must be crashing very surreptitiously, below the OS's radar or something. it's disconcerting...such that i think i might look around and see if there's another app that provides quite the same functionality.