CNET Editors' review
The General Ledger has been the basic bookkeeping tool of double-entry accounting since the Green Eyeshade days. It records financial transactions as both Credits and Debits in balance sheets, which before the advent of software were bound together in huge volumes like something out of a Dickens novel. BS1 General Ledger from Davis Business Systems brings the General Ledger up to cyberspeed with a variety of easy-to-use accounting tools that can track budgets and financial data and generate income statements, balance sheets, and other reports. It's freeware, a good start, accountancy-wise.
At just 1.44MB, BS1 is a fairly small download for an accounting tool. The setup wizard let us choose to view sample data or enter our own; we started with the sample entry. The program opened with a very small control console, no bigger than a miniplayer. File menu entries offered sample data under Accounts, Journal Vouchers, Budget, and Reports, each displayed in a variety of compact spreadsheetlike views. An excellent Help file included everything from exporting data to Excel to accessing the program's Delphi source code. We clicked File/Companies/New Company to set up our own data, which involved entering a company name and selecting a directory for the database. We clicked Accounts/New Accounts, and BS1 walked us through the steps of setting up account data with a series of compact wizards. The program offers more than just flexible, attractive accounting sheets, though; under the General menu, we could compact and re-index tables with the Pack/Repair tool, import, purge, or back up data, and set security. The General Ledger menu accesses not only the accounts, JVs, and Budgets tools but also the Totals and History tables. We could also filter entries by date.
BS1 General Ledger proves just how much high-quality business software is available for free, though it's also available in a paid version that adds technical support and free updates. However, many businesspeople, entrepreneurs, treasurers, and others will appreciate what the freeware can do for both sides of the balance sheet.
From Davis Software:
BS1 General Ledger is an accounting software for tracking budget and actual financial data to produce financial statements such as an income statement and balance sheet, trial balance report, and general ledger (detail) report. Sample data is provided and there is an optional getting started wizard to assist with entering initial live data.
The wizard sets up common GL accounts which can later be changed, deleted, or added to. Delphi source code is available.
What's new in this version: Version 2013.7 includes improved Windows compatibility.
More Products to Consider
- Take an open-source approach to office productivity.
- Convert PDF files to Microsoft Word format.
- Open, edit, and save files using the new file formats in 2007 v...
- View, navigate, and print PDF files.
- Convert JPG, BMP, TIFF, PNG images to PDF files.
- Create your financial records and reports with a spreadsheet te...
- Get a comprehensive library of 4500 sample business letters and...
- Create business financial reports.
- Prepare any business documents from 6000 professionally written...
- Manage your accounting, bill customers, and pay vendors.
- Provide Web-based ERP solution using AJAX interface with PDF re...
- Create and share content with the help of a comprehensive set o...
- Manage your chart of accounts and generate financial reports.
- Transform PDF documents to Excel documents.
- Manage your time, billing and accounting information.
- Create, encrypt, and merge PDF files.
- Import and analyze financial statement data.
- Manage your financial information.
- Keep track of how you use your PC.
- Manage your accounts, inventory, purchasing, and sales.
- Analyze your motorsport driving performance and statistics.
- Manage your accounting, inventory, sales, and quotes.
- Render PDF files within applications that support the print fun...
- Track inventory, sales, and billing in your store.
All versions:4.0 stars
out of 2 votes
Current version:5.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"Simple outlook yet powerful reporting"
Version: BS1 General Ledger 2013.7
The best thing about the software is its ability to generate cutomized reports. I am a public accountant and was looking for an accounting software that would allow me to generate financial reports including balance sheet and profit & loss account etc. The software a very simple and user friendly interface provides features like customization of reports and comparison with budgeted targets. Cherry on top is its sub-accounts feature that allows recording of product/segment-wise results ..
The only downside i see is that with the freeware version u cant generate the reports in excel format but the cost to own the software is not much anyways so once u get urself familiarized with it u would definitely want to own it :)
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content