CNET Editors' review
OhSoft's oCam is a freeware screen capture utility that packs its own codecs, including hi-fi audio codecs from the open-source LAME project, for real-time recording of onscreen video and system sounds. As with similar tools, oCam also takes screenshots, including full-screen, windows, or selected areas. It captures cursor motion and other onscreen activity, too, and it supports large recordings of up to 4GB. Among other upgrades, the latest release of oCam, v13, adds Flash video codecs, improved scheduling of recordings, and better real-time audio encoding. It's compatible with Windows versions XP to 8, including Server 2008.
With a gadget-like user interface and separate selection window, oCam's draggable, two-part user interface is small enough to sit in a corner of your desktop yet large enough to be easy to spot when you need it. Seven buttons in a row access all of oCam's features and options: "Record," "Capture," "Resize," "Open," "Options," "Codec," and "Info." If you've ever used a screen capture tool before, nearly all of oCam's controls will be familiar, as will be the procedure: For example, to capture a section of our desktop, we dragged oCam's green-bordered, transparent selection window over the area in question and pressed "Record." The program recorded all screen activity in the selection box, which for our purposes consisted of some quick mousing. Pressing "Stop" saved the video in the format and destination we selected in the Options sheet. Likewise, pressing "Capture" took a snapshot of the selected area. The "Resize" button selects preset capture areas -- a handy feature for standardizing images.
We noted that nearly all of oCam's controls will be familiar to most users. The single (and notable) exception is the Codecs button. Pressing it calls up a menu of installed audio and video codecs, including LAME. We just had to select the codec we wanted on the menu, and oCam did the rest. Dedicated codecs mean oCam can record high-quality audio or video no matter what codecs your system or media player is using. It's definitely worth a look.
Computer screen, video recording is possible. Recording using the built-in video codecs (AVI, MP4, FLV, MOV, TS, VOB) and audio codecs (MP3) and real-time audio encoding Have large video formats to support more than 4GB. Recording sound from your computer as you can. Audio recording is made possible without the stereo mix setting.(Windows 7, Vista SP1 or later) A variety of sound quality when recording can be selected. Screen capture is possible. Image Format(JPEG, GIF, PNG, BMP) Recording area of the keyboard can be easily controlled. Can record the full screen and window area. During recording, the mouse cursor can be set to be included. Bug reporting is available to developers. Record the results can be stored in a specific folder, you have the option. oCam dual-monitor support. Flash in the IE browser, the target area can be selected. Preferences from the FPS setting is possible. Recording schedule function is available.
What's new in this version: Version 21.0:
- Fixed a bug that program screen is recorded together, when the Aero feature is enabled.
- When the recording screen, by supporting multiple cores, and improved recording performance significantly.
- After closing About dialog, fixed a bug that does not move the focus to the main form.
- Fixed that the Save As dialog box to go behind the window in the window 8.1.
- Add advertising for the livelihood of developers.
More Products to Consider
- Play audio and video files in real-time and streaming modes.
- Play video files of multiple video formats.
- Play virtually any media file in open-source cross-platform mul...
- Record all screen and audio activity on your computer.
- Play various types of video, audio, movie, music files in Media...
- Record high quality videos from the web sites and DVDs or anyth...
- Play digital media of various formats including incomplete, par...
- Record gameplay and screen activities in real-time mode.
- Capture screen with all the tools required to make professional...
- Record screen activities and sounds into AVI video file.
- Convert video and YouTube to AVI, WMV, MP4, FLV, MP3, burn vide...
- Record your gaming and PC screen activities in real-time condit...
- Record screen activities and save them as AVI or Macromedia fla...
- Play audio and video files on the go.
- Record video with sound, convert, cut, join, mix, and apply eff...
- Record PC screen into AVI video in real time.
- Play 99.9 percent of files with a collection of codecs for Wind...
- Capture, edit, and share screenshots and HD videos.
- Discover and play online videos, download, save, organize, and ...
- Allow you to capture and record screen activities.
- Play any video and audio file including Youtube clips without t...
- Turn screen recordings into polished videos that train, teach, ...
- Record video on your screen or with a webcam.
- Record video, sound, and pictures on your desktop screen.
All versions:3.6 stars
out of 27 votes
Current version:1.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"Worked great until the latest update"
Version: oCam 21.0
Easy to use
Update basically ruined the program completely. You are now presented with in app ads which where NOT there before and the sound does not work. I've used this on a Windows XP machine and a Win7 now for the last two years and this is the first time I've had to deal with this. I don't like, wait let me correct that, I HATE programs and apps that push ads through the same app or program. I don't use any application that uses those means to make an app free. Its a perfect way to get malware and spyware. Another thing that I noticed with the update installer is that it now changes your home page to something else, even though it does provide a box to un-check and keep the app from changing your home page, it is very small and the average user will likely miss it and be met with a surprise next time they open a browser!
Not what it used to be, not by a LONG shot. I despise applications that shove ads to your face by doing in app ads. I could deal with a little hickup with the updates and I can use other programs in the mean time, I Picked this one because of its ease of use but now I'm done. I'm uninstalling and will look back some time in the distant future to see if its fixed although its unlikely I'll ever use it again.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content