CNET Editors' review
OhSoft's oCam is a freeware screen capture utility that packs its own codecs, including hi-fi audio codecs from the open-source LAME project, for real-time recording of onscreen video and system sounds. As with similar tools, oCam also takes screenshots, including full-screen, windows, or selected areas. It captures cursor motion and other onscreen activity, too, and it supports large recordings of up to 4GB. Among other upgrades, the latest release of oCam, v13, adds Flash video codecs, improved scheduling of recordings, and better real-time audio encoding. It's compatible with Windows versions XP to 8, including Server 2008.
With a gadget-like user interface and separate selection window, oCam's draggable, two-part user interface is small enough to sit in a corner of your desktop yet large enough to be easy to spot when you need it. Seven buttons in a row access all of oCam's features and options: "Record," "Capture," "Resize," "Open," "Options," "Codec," and "Info." If you've ever used a screen capture tool before, nearly all of oCam's controls will be familiar, as will be the procedure: For example, to capture a section of our desktop, we dragged oCam's green-bordered, transparent selection window over the area in question and pressed "Record." The program recorded all screen activity in the selection box, which for our purposes consisted of some quick mousing. Pressing "Stop" saved the video in the format and destination we selected in the Options sheet. Likewise, pressing "Capture" took a snapshot of the selected area. The "Resize" button selects preset capture areas -- a handy feature for standardizing images.
We noted that nearly all of oCam's controls will be familiar to most users. The single (and notable) exception is the Codecs button. Pressing it calls up a menu of installed audio and video codecs, including LAME. We just had to select the codec we wanted on the menu, and oCam did the rest. Dedicated codecs mean oCam can record high-quality audio or video no matter what codecs your system or media player is using. It's definitely worth a look.
* Computer screen, video recording is possible. * Recording using the built-in video codecs(AVI, MP4, FLV, MOV, TS, VOB) and audio codecs(MP3) and real-time audio encoding * Have large video formats to support more than 4GB. * Recording sound from your computer as you can. * Audio recording is made possible without the stereo mix setting.(Windows 7, Vista SP1 or later) * A variety of sound quality when recording can be selected. * Screen capture is possible. Image Format(JPEG, GIF, PNG, BMP) * Recording area of the keyboard can be easily controlled. * Can record the full screen and window area. * During recording, the mouse cursor can be set to be included. * Bug reporting is available to developers. * Record the results can be stored in a specific folder, you have the option. * oCam dual-monitor support. * Flash in the IE browser, the target area can be selected. * Preferences from the FPS setting is possible. * Recording schedule function is available.
What's new in this version: Version 16.0:
- The ability to use external VFW codec has been added.
- Manifest compatibility of Windows 8.1 has been added.
- Has been modified to be fixed to 30 FPS when using the MPEG-1, MPEG-2 codec.
More Products to Consider
- Play audio and video files in real-time and streaming modes.
- Play video files of multiple video formats.
- Play virtually any media file in open-source cross-platform mul...
- Record all screen and audio activity on your computer.
- Play various types of video, audio, movie, music files in Media...
- Record high quality videos from the web sites and DVDs or anyth...
- Play digital media of various formats with 3D and WiDi support.
- Record gameplay and screen activities in real-time mode.
- Capture screen with all the tools required to make professional...
- Convert video and YouTube to AVI, WMV, MP4, FLV, MP3, burn vide...
- Record your gaming and PC screen activities in real-time condit...
- Convert and edit your video files adding slide shows and titles...
- Record screen activities and save them as AVI or Macromedia fla...
- Play audio and video files on the go.
- Record video with sound, convert, cut, join, mix, and apply eff...
- Record PC screen into AVI video in real time.
- Play 99.9 percent of files with a collection of codecs for Wind...
- Give a good look to screenshots and record videos.
- Discover and play online videos, download, save, organize, and ...
- Allow you to capture and record screen activities.
- Play any video and audio file including Youtube clips without t...
- Turn screen recordings into polished videos that train, teach, ...
- Record video on your screen or with a webcam.
- Play YouTube video files from the Web or your local folders, pl...
All versions:4.1 stars
out of 20 votes
Current version:3.0 stars
out of 3 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-3 of 3
"Laggy and was just okay"
Version: oCam 16.0
Was simple to use
NO audio for demo versoin
Yeah, not much.
"Less Than 1 Star"
Version: oCam 16.0
None. It does NOT work if you do not let it slow down your computer by being in the start-up menu.
It does NOT work if you do not let it slow down your computer by being in the start-up menu. Computer kept freezing up after download. Disabled it from the startup menu and then tried to use it. All it does is give a prompt to download the UpGrade. If it works like this then why upgrade? Upgrade to what, another upgrade prompter?
Felt strongly enough about it to spend 30-minutes of hassle creating an account here because I felt robbed of good moments of my life wasting them on this thing that won't do anything except freeze up a computer. Go with screen-o-cast or whatever the superior one to this one is. This is useless junk that may very well be nothing more than glorified malware disguised as a product. Now my computer is acting strange.I decided after doing more research to delete this review because my experience wasn't typical results, but the option to delete the review is not available. Just try it for yourself. Maybe I had conflicting software problems.
Updated on Dec 7, 2013
"Wow, so far so good :)"
Version: oCam 16.0
It does exactly what I need; nice quality video and audio with very easy to understand buttons. Press record to record and F2 to stop.
The videos show up in my oCam folder as soon as i hit F2 with no formatting needed and they play well in Media player right away.
it takes the sound right from my internal mic, whatever sound is played on my computer.
The resizing box is easy to place where you want to capture the video.
This is very good.
There is no pause or editing, but I don't need these things for simply capturing training webinars.
I haven't tested out the limits on the 4gb video size. I had a bad experience with camstudio files not working over 2gb, so I don't want to push it with this software since it works so nicely.
Nice quality video and audio, VERY easy to use for a novice like me. Very happy with this software.
Pretty idiot proof, VERY happy.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content