CNET Editors' review
Twitter changed the way we are able to receive and share meaningful information online, but it's still a challenge to manage it efficiently. In an attempt to simplify your social updates from Twitter, YoruFukurou for Mac lets you create separate filters to display only what is most relevant to you. The program seems well packed but it is not too intuitive.
YoruFukurou for Mac offers a good-looking interface but lacks intuitiveness. For instance, the Follow button, which is a seemingly obvious function for a Twitter client, is hard to find. First you need to click the avatar, then a small arrow and go two levels deeper before you see the desired button. Even if you know the name of someone you want to follow, it's quite hard to find them. The search field returned conversations mentioning tags close to the name but, surprisingly, never the actual person. After a few unsuccessful attempts, it was clear that the Web interface of Twitter is more efficient for such tasks. What we did like is that this program seems to offer a lot of filtering options and customizable searches. While beginner Twitter users may find these a bit complicated, advanced users will find them useful for managing large numbers of feeds.
If you already know your way around Twitter's Web site and feel you've hit its limits, then YoruFukurou for Mac will offer a lot more freedom and filtering options. Beginners might be better off sticking to the basic Twitter platform.
From Akihiro Noguchi:
YoruFukurou (NightOwl) is a powerful native Twitter client for Mac OS X, designed for Twitter addicts.
User Interface Designer: @hydroxygenic
- Manage multiple Twitter accounts
- Create tabs from rules (user IDs, keywords and regular expressions)
- Create Twitter search tabs
- Create tabs from Lists
- Block unwanted Tweets (user IDs, keywords, regular expressions and application name)
- Powerful keyboard shortcuts
- Real-time streaming support
- Conversation view
- Single user view
- Change font size
- Unread management (hit space key to read through unread Tweets)
- Powerful notification support (sound and growl)
- Two different appearance modes (normal view and mini view)
- Image preview
- "Paste to YoruFukurou" bookmarklet for web browsers
- Autocompletion (user IDs and hashtags)
- Now browsing & now playing
- Upload images
- Customizable image service
- Instant filter
- URL shortening and expansion
- Customizable URL shortener
- Show one-sided follow badge
- Color customization
- API Error console
What's new in this version: Fixed compatibility issues on Mavericks.
More Products to Consider
- Make and receive phone calls and hold cross-platform webcam cha...
- Hear, see, and chat with many people at a time.
- Send free messages and make free calls to other Viber users, on...
- Video chat/calling tool; see up to 6 friends at once.
- Exchange online messages that appear as soon as they're sent.
- Use your webcam with multiple apps & add cool graphics & effect...
- View Outlook .msg email and contact files on Mac.
- Google, Skype, Yahoo, MSN, AIM, Jabber, Facebook, SMS, Fax, and...
- Copy to, move to, or open a recently used mailbox.
- Export to Facebook directly from iPhoto.
- Tiny Twitter client with Growl support, inline images.
- Access your Infusionsoft data from Apple Mail.
- Customizable, sleek and themeable Twitter client.
- Add DSP effects to any Mac application with audio content.
- Add functionality for Apple Mail signatures.
- Text editor with tabs, file drawers and non-contiguous views.
- Auto record Skype phone and video calls.
- Remind yourself to include e-mail attachments if you forget.
- Organize your twitter workflow efficiently.
- (GCK) DNA design, manipulation & drawing.
- Generate short links for Twitter by dragging media to your menu...
- RSS & Atom news reader.
- Instant messaging tool.
- The official microblogging client.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content