CNET Editors' review
This free tool makes small demands with potentially big benefits, but only if you take advantage of them, of course. Workrave's miniscule window pops up at regular intervals to prompt you to take breaks long enough and frequently enough to be of real benefit to your health and productivity, yet short enough not to break your stride.
Workrave's main interaction with the user is a desktop applet that's probably not much bigger than your Recycle Bin icon, plus a series of equally small pop-up reminders. But Workrave isn't a stripped-down app, even though it's free, as its 42MB Program folder showed. Much of Workrave's data consists of helpful (and healthful) exercise tips in 3D animation that demonstrate stretches and other beneficial actions -- some as easy as tilting your neck or moving your eyes to the corner of your screen. Workrave's system tray icon and Preferences sheet make setting things up just as easy on the user as its quickie exercises. Tabs on the Preferences sheet let us configure Micro-breaks, Rest breaks, and Daily Limits. We could also enable alternate monitors and use our own sound clips for alerts. Of course, we could easily dismiss or postpone breaks when necessary.
Seemingly endless platitudes extol the cumulative virtues of small but consistent and persistent efforts. Let's state unequivocally that downloading, installing, configuring, and, yes, paying attention to Workrave can make just such a difference in your day and your life. But only if you do what you told it to tell you to do!
Workrave is a program that assists in the recovery and prevention of Repetitive Strain Injury (RSI). The program frequently alerts you to take micro-pauses, rest breaks and restricts you to your daily limit. Please refer to the feature comparison for a complete list of features, and how the program performs with respect to other programs on the market. The program runs on GNU/Linux and Microsoft Windows.
What's new in this version: Version 1.10.1 has fixed issue with uninstall.
More Products to Consider
- Look up words in thesaurus and dictionary from almost any progr...
- Hear the Athan (Azan) automatically five times a day at each pr...
- View your real-time physical position on moving Google Map.
- View satellite pictures, maps, terrain, buildings and other glo...
- View, read, and convert EPub e-books.
- Read King James Bible on your PC.
- Discover how to type and improve your typing.
- Learn touch-typing with a program that dynamically adjusts trai...
- Get English and Sinhala definitions with technical terms glossa...
- Get an English too Bangla dictionary.
- Get reminders about prayer time.
- Learn touch typing in Hindi and English.
- Exercise your typing fingers with practice lessons and entertai...
- Manage your eBook library and synchronize to reader devices.
- Read the CBR files.
- Time any events or activities on your computer.
- Protect your kids, friends and yourself by having an Internet a...
- Get an alarm at specified time.
- View, convert, and print digital images.
- Type in Hindi using iTrans scheme of transliteration.
- Stay on top of important events.
- Find prime numbers and pairs of primes and plot associated hist...
- Play a hexagonal puzzle game with no time limit.
- Set the alarm and be notified when it goes on.
All versions:4.8 stars
out of 6 votes
Current version:5.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"Best of it's class (for the price)"
Version: Workrave 1.10.1
- Rest and Break timers start (5 seconds) after you stop typing or using mouse
- Can adjust settings to suit your use
- No ads
- Can be (very) annoying when you first start using it, but then again, it's meant to be
I've used Workrave for at least 7 years and have had no RSI related injuries in all that time. Since I work in IT and I'm on a computer at least 7 hours a day, I find no injuries quite remarkable. I'd recommend Workrave to anyone.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content