CNET Editors' review
WordWeb is a handy utility that gives you the definition, synonyms, and antonyms of any given word without requiring you to go online, though it can connect to the Internet for expanded functionality should you want it.
The interface feels like an expanded version of any major word processing app's dictionary function, giving users an instant familiarity--even if they've never used WordWeb. After you type a term into the Lookup dialog box, the word's definition will appear in the interface's top pane, along with tabs that link to various wiki functions.
The bottom pane offers tabs for such items as synonyms, antonyms, and related words. The app's most notable feature is its hot key support; you simply use a hot key combo when the cursor is pointed over any word, and WordWeb will pop up onscreen with all pertinent information.
There are tools for changing the database to one of several English variations, altering the text size, and disabling WordWeb from recognizing offensive terms. The depth and functionality of WordWeb would be worth paying for, but thankfully you don't have to redefine your budget to get it--it's free.
From WordWeb Software:
This thesaurus/dictionary can be used to look up words from almost any program. In addition to displaying sense definitions and synonyms, WordWeb can find sets of related words. The database has more than 150,000 root words and 120,000 synonym sets, many proper nouns, pronunciations, and usage tags. WordWeb works off line, but when online you can also quickly view Web references such as the Wikipedia encyclopedia.
What's new in this version: Version 7.03 adds new words and definitions.
More Products to Consider
- View your real-time physical position on moving Google Map.
- Read King James Bible on your PC.
- Learn touch-typing with a program that dynamically adjusts trai...
- Hear the Athan (Azan) automatically five times a day at each pr...
- View satellite pictures, maps, terrain, buildings and other glo...
- Discover how to type and improve your typing.
- View, read, and convert EPub e-books.
- Translate words between English and Bengali.
- Get an English too Bangla dictionary.
- Use thesaurus and dictionary to look up words while surfing the...
- Refer to an English dictionary and thesaurus on your computer w...
- Browse a dictionary for your language reference.
- Get English and Sinhala definitions with technical terms glossa...
- Get a comprehensive guide to the essential language of medicine...
- Double-click on a word and read its definition in Collins Engli...
- Translate with the help of English-Italian, Italian-English ele...
- Double click for right explanation in English.
- Get reminders about prayer time.
- Utilize PC dictionary comprising 30 specific parts.
- Learn and improve your English vocabulary by listening to spoke...
- Learn touch typing in Hindi and English.
- Find English definitions of words, or Spanish definitions of En...
- Exercise your typing fingers with practice lessons and entertai...
- Search and translate words between English and Bulgarian langua...
All versions:4.5 stars
out of 1,295 votes
Current version:2.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"Wordweb fails on many counts which demishes its value"
Version: WordWeb 7.03
Free and nothing else
Completely lacks any look up logic. If you don't know the spelling, Wordweb is helpless to produce probable possibilities.
Next, you want to look up the meaning of word and invoke Wordweb, it usually scrambles the target word into some non-web that makes the look up USELESS.
With major operational problems interfering with spelling look ups and dictionary meaning look ups, the program is best avoided as a waste of time. Wordweb simply does NOT do when is it advertised as.