CNET Editors' review
WiseCleaner's Wise Folder Hider is a free tool that can secure your data by hiding important files or folders on your disk drive or portable drive, and protecting them with a password. And Wise Folder Hider lets you go a step further by requiring a double password for special items; nothing less than the legendary "double secret password."
We clicked Wise Folder Hider's desktop icon and created a password to start using the program. Wise Folder Hider's user interface is simple but attractive, with three items in the toolbar: Hide File, Hide Folder, and Hide USB. The main window displayed a drag-and-drop diagram, which switched to a list view sorted by column headings for Name, Lock, Status, and Operation. An online Help file offers a good introduction to this program, but it's hardly needed since there's little to configure with this simple tool: just tell it what to hide, and it hides it. (You'll need to put something in your folder before you hide it since Wise Folder Hider won't hide empty files -- which is wise, isn't it?)
We added files, folders, and our USB drive to Wise Folder Hider. Each appeared in due course in the list view, with a menu of options under Operations: Open, Unhide, and Set Password, which lets you set a second password for double password protection. When Wise Folder Hider is open, you can open any hidden item normally from within its interface, but double-password-protected items require an additional step. When a file, folder, or USB drive is open, Wise Folder Hider displays its status as Visible; closing it hides it again. Clicking Unhide restores an item's normal visibility and removes it from Wise Folder Hider's list.
Wise Folder Hider takes Windows' ability to hide files, folders, and drives and turns it into a neat, easy-to-use privacy tool. When Wise Folder Hider is active, hidden files, folders, and drives stay hidden. Wise Folder Hider works with Windows XP, Vista, 7 and 8. We tried it in 32-bit and 64-bit Windows 7.
Wise Folder Hider is freeware. It can quickly and safely hide not only the files/folders on local partitions or removable devices but also USB drives or the files/folders on USB drives. The hidden files/folders will be safely hidden no matter whether the drive is accessed in another operating system on the same computer or reinstalled on another computer. The only way to access hidden files/folders/USB is to enter the valid password(s) correctly. Its double password protection can ensure the absolute safety of your files/folders/USB. Wise Folder Hider is very convenient. You can directly hide a file/folder/USB only by right click if you don't want to start up the program. It supports many languages such as English, Chinese Simplified, German, Hungarian, Japanese, Korean, and Turkish.
What's new in this version: Version 1.51.79:
- Added Windows 8.1 compatibility.
- Context Menu made optional.
- Language package updated.
More Products to Consider
- Protect your PC against the latest viruses and spyware.
- Protect your computer from viruses and malicious programs.
- Detect and quickly remove malicious threats to your computer.
- Scan and remove the deepest malware that your antivirus/antiSpy...
- Protect files and folders with quick, safe encryption and abund...
- Provide secure, anonymous, and private browsing on Wi-Fi hotspo...
- Hide and encrypt any folder including flash disk and removable ...
- Search your hard disk and Registry for threats to your security...
- Login everywhere automatically, so you'll never need to remembe...
- Modify locked Microsoft PowerPoint 2007/2010/2013 presentations...
- Maintain system performance and free up disk space of your PC.
- Store your credentials securely via sophisticated encryption.
- Detect and eliminate viruses, get free protection for home user...
- Search files/folders in various formats on local drives and rem...
- Secure desktops and lock computers on the network.
- Recover various data in various devices.
- Protect PC from viruses, Trojans, worms, buffer overflows, zero...
- Protect yourself from infected sites.
- Clean and optimize Windows registry, remove junk from hard driv...
- Guard your Windows PC from malware and Internet based attacks.
- Mask your E-mail address, phone number, or credit card in Firef...
- Search files or folders on all your local drives.
- Recovery of files encrypted.
- Protect yourself from infected sites.
All versions:3.9 stars
out of 19 votes
Current version:1.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"Buggy, unreliable, dangerous - BEWARE!"
Version: Wise Folder Hider 1.51.79
It (is supposed to) hide your file / folders.
(Apparently) it doesn't destroy you files.
The hidden files return visible with no advice.
If you try to hide again, it doesn't allow any more.
Upgrading software version makes the situation is even worse: strange semi-hidden directories appears (with 4 dots) that cannot be removed. A secondary copy of all directories appears, but no files can be accessed. Previosly hidden directory (including parent directory) cannot be hidden again. The error message says "" (yes, empty message - very useful indeed!).
Deinstalling the software doesn't solve the problem. The root directory remains corrupted. No (easy) way to repair the disk.
Crappy software. It's free but it will cost you a lot because of the damages it produces.
Stay away from this software, and find something else, you're warned!
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content