CNET Editors' review
Anyone in need of amping up desktop security will find this application both useful and easy to use.
WinLock Professional has a clean and functional interface that is easy to understand. The program works well to limit access to certain areas of the computer, but a few of the security measures could be bypassed by savvy users. On the first use, users can easily set up a password to keep others from changing settings, decide when the program will run, and how it will log activity. Other features include the capability to lock users out of vital areas, such as the registry, task manager, control panel, and Windows folders. Users can even go so far as to disable changes to the desktop or access to the Start Menu. There is even a timer, which will limit the amount of time spent on the computer. The only issue we had upon testing was the Internet access tab. Users can set up a list of restricted and/or trusted sites, but the restrictions apply only to Internet Explorer. The settings were null and void if the sites were accessed through Firefox.
Parents, among others, will find WinLock Professional a great resource to limit user access to certain areas of the computer and the Internet, but be aware that it won't completely prevent sites if the kids use Firefox.
From Crystal Office Systems:
WinLock is a comprehensive security solution for personal or publicly accessible computers. It is a program that ensures that only authorized people can access sensitive information on your computer. With WinLock, you can control how long others can use your computer. It runs from the system tray and requires a password to gain access to the available settings. It loads automatically with Windows and allows you to add an optional startup message, provides audio notification, and sets the time limit. Once that limit is reached, Windows is summarily shut down. You can toggle the timer on and off from the tray. When enabled, there is no way around it without the proper password. Parental control system lets you activate filters that allow access to websites that are useful for learning and reference only. That's why responsible parents install WinLock on every computer that their children use. Window blocking blocks virtually any application or any part of it: window, popup message, dialog box. WinLock also lets you disable Windows hot keys (such as Alt-Ctrl-Del, Alt-Tab, Ctrl-Esc, etc.), lock Windows desktop, hide the Start button and Switch bar, lock files and folders, filter Internet content, apply lockdown security for public-access computers (companies, schools, hotels, public agencies)...
What's new in this version: Version 6.09 handles user switching more gracefully and include minor fixes.
More Products to Consider
- Guard your Windows PC from malware and Internet based attacks.
- Protect your PC against the latest viruses and spyware.
- Protect your computer from viruses and malicious programs.
- Detect and quickly remove malicious threats to your computer.
- Scan and remove the deepest malware that your antivirus/antiSpy...
- Provide secure, anonymous, and private browsing on Wi-Fi hotspo...
- Search your hard disk and Registry for threats to your security...
- Login everywhere automatically, so you'll never need to remembe...
- Modify locked Microsoft PowerPoint 2007/2010/2013 presentations...
- Store your credentials securely via sophisticated encryption.
- Detect and eliminate viruses, get free protection for home user...
- Convert .BAT files into .EXE files in one click.
- Secure desktops and lock computers on the network.
- Play a 3D cartoon-style multiplayer role-playing game.
- Protect PC from viruses, Trojans, worms, buffer overflows, zero...
- Protect yourself from infected sites.
- Play an arcade-style 3D sidescrolling MMORPG.
- Mask your E-mail address, phone number, or credit card in Firef...
- Start off as rookie pilot in alien world.
- Shutdown, reboot, or re-logon to your computer automatically or...
- Protect yourself from infected sites.
- Use joystick for playing Web games and controlling any applicat...
- Download and exchange files safely, enjoy games and Web surfing...
- Improve reading, typing, and comprehension with the help of thi...
All versions:5.0 stars
out of 1 votes
Current version:0 stars Be the first to review this product
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"Outstanding parental website and security control"
Version: WinLock Professional 5.37
This program is considered a system security tool, but it's also among the best for website blocking. It can block sites based on the URL, or keywords in URL, web page, or window title.
In addition to file/folder protection, WLP can block any window or program based on window keywords. This is really powerful to block an undesired program or system tool regardless of source filename or folder location; users can't simply rename the file or download it to another folder. You can disable essentially any software or Windows feature.
For example, to block a user from launching MS Config (by entering "msconfig" in the Run command), just specify the MS Config window i.e. "system configuration utility" and it will instantly shutdown upon launch. Another example would be disabling changes to the system clock by specifying "date and time properties"
To block sites in Firefox or any non-IE browser, just use the window blocker (window titles almost always contain domain name keywords).
The time control feature only limits sesson duration. It doesn't allow scheduling periods to block pc usage (see below).
I have found that combining WinLock Pro with Crawler Parental Control (free) is the ultimate combination for controlling pc usage time and website access -- WLP for website control, CPC for limiting pc time.