CNET Editors' review
TimeTrex is an interesting Web-based, modular, multiplatform payroll and employee time management system. Employees can keep track of their time at the office, at home, and on the road, even from their cell phones. TimeTrex Standard Edition is free and includes the open-source Payroll Module, the Employee Scheduling Module, and the Time and Attendance Module.
TimeTrex's On-Site client is a substantial download, nearly 56 MB, including the Apache database software. The setup process involves installing the client and then setting up the software via a Web-based process, chiefly initializing our database. We entered our company's information as well as an administrator username and password. TimeTrex recommends its Online University training program, which is also free, and there's a PDF-based Administrator's Guide for getting started. After entering our company data, we entered our Branch data. Every company must have at least one Branch or Location for employees to punch in and out of. We could access these and other settings from the Admin menu. We finished our selections and logged in to the main online interface. This displayed our company's name and our user name with a Recent Activity Summary of Recent Requests, Recent Messages, Current Exceptions (with severity), and Pending Requests. A toolbar gave instant access to all of the program's tools and functions, often via simple pop-ups. For instance, clicking In/Out called up a small dialog with our name, the time, and Punch In/Out options. In this way, we could access Time Sheets, Schedules, Reports, MyAccount settings, and Admin functions. The Help menu included not only links to the training material but also FAQs, support forums, and other resources.
There's certainly a lot to TimeTrex, both in terms of what it offers as well as getting the most out of it. However, at no point did this powerful tool feel at all intimidating in either local or Web-based functions. Far from it--we'd say it's one of the least confusing and complicated time-tracking programs we've tried, despite its many features and options. The freeware has all that most businesses will need, but the developers offer additional modules for special requirements.
TimeTrex Payroll and Time Management is a web-based Time And Attendance suite which offers Employee Time and Attendance (time clock, timesheet) and Payroll all in single tightly integrated package. With the ability to interface with hardware such as iButtons, barcode readers, and cell phones, employees are able to efficiently track their time at the office or on the road. It can automatically calculate complex over time and premium time business policies, and is immediately able to identify labor costs attributed to projects by employee, branch, department, task-type and quantities produced. It can process your payroll by calculating withholding taxes (US or Canada), generate detailed electronic pay stubs, and even print paychecks or direct deposit funds.
What's new in this version: Features: Rounding Policies: (Professional/Corporate/Enterprise Edition) Add conditional rules to determine when to apply rounding or not, for example only within a specific start/stop window around the employees scheduled time or some other static time. System Add support for automatically upgrading to the latest version without any manual intervention.
More Products to Consider
- Take an open-source approach to office productivity.
- Convert PDF files to Microsoft Word format.
- Open, edit, and save files using the new file formats in 2007 v...
- View, navigate, and print PDF files.
- Convert JPG, BMP, TIFF, PNG images to PDF files.
- Get a comprehensive library of 4500 sample business letters and...
- Prepare any business documents from 6000 professionally written...
- Create and share content with the help of a comprehensive set o...
- Transform PDF documents to Excel documents.
- Create, encrypt, and merge PDF files.
- Keep track of how you use your PC.
- Render PDF files within applications that support the print fun...
- Develop your own custom solutions visualizing various data.
- Read, create, and save files seamlessly in Office 2007/2010 and...
- Recognize text from images using the open source Tesseract OCR ...
- Search for and share recipes, chat and collaborate with other r...
- Download and create your own Paycheck Stubs.
- Restrict Websites, instant messengers, and gaming activities on...
- Track your assets, check in, check out, and maintain service re...
- Get statistics of your site in comprehensive colorful graphs an...
- Generate paystubs and calculates your pay.
- Convert Word, RTF, and TXT files into PDF documents.
- Create and manage projects, analyze their progress, and generat...
- Create Web sites, and transfer files to and from any FTP Web si...
All versions:3.0 stars
out of 2 votes
Current version:0 stars Be the first to review this product
My rating:Write review
Results 1-2 of 2
"Amazing product and you can't beat free!"
Version: TimeTrex Payroll and Time Management 3.7
I can handle everything from tracking my employees time right down to paying them, its quick and easy and extremely flexible.
It has a lot of features, sometimes too many. But with a little work the parts I don't need can be hidden.
"It is a free download until you try to use it."
Version: TimeTrex Payroll and Time Management 3.7
I downloaded the free Time Trex program but was unable to sign into the site.
I made contact with Time Trex support and was told that I should purchase a support package. Seems a little shady.
I would not download the program if I had a do over.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content
See more CNET content tagged: