A handy, little utility, Text Expander for Mac lets you configure keyboard shortcuts that automatically expand into larger snippets of text as you type.
We installed the program without hassle, and when we ran it for the first time were presented with a basic tutorial, which got us working with the app quickly. Text Expander for Mac comes with several built-in "snippets," as they are called, for frequently typed bits of text, like e-mail and snail mail addresses, phone numbers, or the time and date. Snippets are highly configurable. We created a form letter that, when activated, launches a little dialog box with a blank field for the name. We typed in the name, hit "OK," and then the full text of the letter appeared in Word. We were able to generate a TinyURL on the fly, simply by copying a link to the clipboard and then typing "/tinyurl" in our document. The program then used a script to create the TinyURL at the Web site, and then pasted it directly where we typed. The possibilities seem limitless with what Text Expander for Mac can take on. The app offers a backup function for all your snippets, and a feature that allows for syncing with other computers and even iOS devices, as well.
Text Expander for Mac, quite simply, seems to be one of the cooler and more original apps available. Anyone who finds themselves doing a lot of repetitive typing would do well to give the fully-functional demo a try.
Editors' note: This is a review of the trial version of TextExpander for Mac 4.0.4.
TextExpander saves you countless keystrokes with customized abbreviations for your frequently-used text strings and images. Save time and effort with TextExpander. Whether it's a simple email signature or several paragraphs of a standard response, you'll love how easy it is to use TextExpander to avoid typing the same thing over and over.
What's new in this version:
- Fixes a variety of problems while editing snippets, including a frequent failure to save changes made to fill-in fields
- Fixes crashes that could occur while searching for snippets
- Clears search mode completely when creating new snippets or performing certain other actions
- Fixes problem with Bubble sound preference in non-English systems
- Provides correct VoiceOver descriptions of items in the snippet and group list
- Other fixes and improvement... See all new features »