CNET Editors' reviewThis overly complicated text editor doesn't offer any cutting-edge features and isn't very user-friendly. SmEdit's elementary interface offers a string of icons for basic text-editing tools that are easily understandable. Less clear are the five labeled only with Roman numerals or the three with Run followed by a letter of the alphabet. Noticeably missing is a print button. The online help file cleared up some of these mysteries: the three alpha buttons launch user-designated text files and can be set up through Options. The file also explained that additional options are offered on a context menu, and a print option was found there. However, the help file didn't offer an adequate explanation for using the numbered icons. The complexities involved with setting up and using this program didn't seem warranted by its features or functionality, and users of all levels can easily find a more intuitive and effective text-editing program.
SmEdit is a compact text editor that packs far more features than its size suggests. Due to its highly configurable design, it can be as basic or as featured as you want. This makes SmEdit an extremely quick loading and flexible editor for most tasks. All Sinner Computing software, including SmEdit, was developed using SmEdit. Highlights include: Auto selection of font, text colour, background colour and word wrap based on the files extension, bookmarks, programmable label search, programmable context menu insert text and run file list, auto file registering for 12 file types (plus 2 customizable types) with a unique descriptive icon for each file type, optional and configurable toolbar, optional Status bar, tray minimisation, word/character/letter/number/line/sentence count, external modification notification, partial loading for extremely large filesa customizable tool bar, a status bar with line and column number display, Unicode support, customisable time insert and auto save.
Version 1.17 features labels, enhanced font support, enhanced insert date, guess name, Multi-User support.
More Products to Consider
- Create printable calendars with saved activities in MS Word and...
- Take notes and stick them to your desktop.
- Manage your email, time and calendar.
- Create Post-it notes, bookmark websites, send/receive notes, se...
- Split and merge PDF documents.
- Create and manage various events and to-do list on your desktop...
- Schedule, plan, and remind yourself of important events.
- Organize tasks, task lists, notes, and reminders in hierarchica...
- Organize your time with proactive time tracker working like a p...
- Organize your life, manage contacts, create to do list, and be ...
- Schedule and manage employees, customers, rooms, and equipment ...
- Create amortization schedule in Excel for fixed-rate loan.
- Calculate the annual percent rate on your loan.
- Build, save, share, and print arbitrary mind maps.
- Create sticky notes on your desktop.
- Allow performance of various tasks through a pop-up menu.
- Create and manage personal todo list and shared task list for y...
- Catch up with your daily events and meeting schedules.
- Expand and enhance the Windows Explorer context menu.
- Track your important events and get reminders of them.
- Capture and hold multiple screenshots with the click of a butto...
- Transfer content between Android, iPhone, and Symbian phones.
- Schedule programs, scripts, and other tasks to start automatica...
- Manage the files in your system, File search, and search for st...
All versions:3.0 stars
out of 4 votes
Current version:5.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"unique text editor that have been using for 4 years"
Version: SmEdit 1.17
I have tested lots of text editors (notepad replacements etc.pp.) and stuck with smedit despite it's optical shortcomings (use the skin!). program is very stable. it has great features like configurable auto-save and text overwrite protection.
- message windows have nonstandard yes/no inversion (but you get used to it).
- you might need to read in the (well written) help file
- ugly icon
- scroll bar has small display glitch
- interprogram cut and paste loses formatting sometimes
one of the unique features is the ability to prevent accidental deletion of text. not even hitting tab (as might happen when multitasking) while some text is selected will delete the selected text with this option.
the program is highy configurable but still very slim.
the auther has always responded to requests and even added new features that I requested.
one of the few programs I actually felt I should pay for because support was so good.
dont let you be deterred by the imho rather ugly homepage.