CNET Editors' review
We really wanted to like SimplePiano. It looks like it has the potential to be a great tool for users who are learning to play the piano. Unfortunately, a problem with the program's interface combined with its lack of Help file made the program practically useless.
SimplePiano's interface consists of a keyboard, which users can play using either their computer keyboard (the corresponding keys are labeled on the piano) or with an external MIDI keyboard. This part of the program worked just fine. Unfortunately, in the space above the keyboard where we expected to see the treble and bass clef staffs, all we got was a bunch of nonsensical symbols. We suspected that this was a font issue, so we referred back to the publisher's description, which told us that Maestro fonts would be installs along with the program. We rebooted our computer hoping that that would solve the problem, but it didn't. Frustratingly, the program has no Help file at all, leaving us completely unable to troubleshoot. We were very disappointed that we couldn't get the program to display properly, because it looks like it has some really great features, including a note-reading test and a chord-playing function. But all we could really do with it was noodle around on the keyboard.
SimplePiano is free. It installs and uninstalls without issues. We recommend this program with reservations; we can't guarantee that all users will have the display problems that we had, so it may be worth a try. Just don't be surprised if you find yourself with problems and no way to fix them.
SimplePiano is an aid to learning piano and music notation. It uses Maestro fonts (that are installed with the program) to show the notes played on the treble and bass clef staffs as well as on a 60-key on-screen piano keyboard, using either the keyboard, the mouse, or a midi keyboard connected to the computer. The Circle of Fifths can be displayed, and when a key in it is selected, that key's signature is shown on the staffs. Eight types of chords can be selected and played by playing their root key. The output piano sound (Windows or soundcard sound) is selectable. I recommend the M-Audio Keystation 61es midi keyboard to go with it.
More Products to Consider
- Watch and record online TV Channels and listen to radio station...
- Play virtual piano with your computer's keyboard.
- Provide on-screen piano, synthesizer and MIDI controller for yo...
- Create, play, and print tablature scores.
- Play the piano using your keyboard and mouse.
- Transform your PC keyboard into a piano.
- Understand your life events through astrology.
- Learn how to play and practice playing on fretted instruments.
- Download and convert videos from any Web site.
- Play this guitar with your computer keyboard.
- Get professional statistics reporting for your cricket club, te...
- View thousands of online TV shows, streaming channels, videos, ...
- Learn music notation and keyboard notes grand staff in all keys...
- Manage leagues of various kinds of sports.
- Create and record your own songs without possessing musical kno...
- Download USGS aerial photos from Microsoft's Terraserver Web si...
- Convert FLV files into popular video and audio formats, and vic...
- Create and check your personal lottery number selections.
- Improve your music skills by playing songs while staying in tun...
- Download free music directly from your desktop.
- Allow you to play piano cords on your PC.
- Substitute your keyboard with a virtual one with a variety of k...
- Make your Fantasy Football draft feel like a simulated NFL draf...
- Turn your PC into an easy to play virtual piano, synthesizer, o...
All versions:4.2 stars
out of 4 votes
Current version:4.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"I find it good"
Version: SimplePiano 1.17
Dunno actually cause I haven't used any other software alike(cause I can't find)
But it's usable, simple and easy to use and light weight
The application window is too big, I hope it's more like an inch tall on the screen so I can still read the music sheet easily
It's simple, light weight, portable and easy to use
Fun to use when you don't have your own piano/keyboard
And for sure, it's not something you can call "useless" cause I've been downloading it for years :P