CNET Editors' review
We really wanted to like SimplePiano. It looks like it has the potential to be a great tool for users who are learning to play the piano. Unfortunately, a problem with the program's interface combined with its lack of Help file made the program practically useless.
SimplePiano's interface consists of a keyboard, which users can play using either their computer keyboard (the corresponding keys are labeled on the piano) or with an external MIDI keyboard. This part of the program worked just fine. Unfortunately, in the space above the keyboard where we expected to see the treble and bass clef staffs, all we got was a bunch of nonsensical symbols. We suspected that this was a font issue, so we referred back to the publisher's description, which told us that Maestro fonts would be installs along with the program. We rebooted our computer hoping that that would solve the problem, but it didn't. Frustratingly, the program has no Help file at all, leaving us completely unable to troubleshoot. We were very disappointed that we couldn't get the program to display properly, because it looks like it has some really great features, including a note-reading test and a chord-playing function. But all we could really do with it was noodle around on the keyboard.
SimplePiano is free. It installs and uninstalls without issues. We recommend this program with reservations; we can't guarantee that all users will have the display problems that we had, so it may be worth a try. Just don't be surprised if you find yourself with problems and no way to fix them.
SimplePiano is an aid to learning piano and music notation. It uses Maestro fonts (that are installed with the program) to show the notes played on the treble and bass clef staffs as well as on a 60-key on-screen piano keyboard, using either the keyboard, the mouse, or a midi keyboard connected to the computer. The Circle of Fifths can be displayed, and when a key in it is selected, that key's signature is shown on the staffs. Eight types of chords can be selected and played by playing their root key. The output piano sound (Windows or soundcard sound) is selectable. I recommend the M-Audio Keystation 61es midi keyboard to go with it.
More Products to Consider
- Watch and record online TV Channels and listen to radio station...
- Play the piano using your keyboard and mouse.
- Create, play, and print tablature scores.
- Transform your PC keyboard into a piano.
- Understand your life events through astrology.
- Play virtual piano with your computer's keyboard.
- Provide on-screen piano, synthesizer and MIDI controller for yo...
- Play piano and drum with keyboard control and joystick.
- Download and convert videos from any Web site.
- Play this guitar with your computer keyboard.
- View thousands of online TV shows, streaming channels, videos, ...
- Train your ears, learn to read music by sight, and study music ...
- Learn new beat patterns and develop your sense of timing.
- Convert FLV files into popular video and audio formats, and vic...
- Display Valentine's Day images accompanied by romantic poems an...
- Download free music directly from your desktop.
- Open, play, and record MIDI files using a virtual keyboard or M...
- Download video from YouTube fast and easily.
- Create and record your own songs without possessing musical kno...
- Customize your own music sheet and its playback.
- Learn how to play and practice playing on fretted instruments.
- Tune up acoustic and electric guitars.
- Convert your MP3, WMA, and WAV files into MIDI format.
- Find and play Internet video.
All versions:4.2 stars
out of 4 votes
Current version:4.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"I find it good"
Version: SimplePiano 1.17
Dunno actually cause I haven't used any other software alike(cause I can't find)
But it's usable, simple and easy to use and light weight
The application window is too big, I hope it's more like an inch tall on the screen so I can still read the music sheet easily
It's simple, light weight, portable and easy to use
Fun to use when you don't have your own piano/keyboard
And for sure, it's not something you can call "useless" cause I've been downloading it for years :P