CNET Editors' review
If you're anything like us, you probably have multiple applications and windows open while you're working. While having everything at your fingertips is convenient, it can also be really distracting when you're trying to concentrate. Shroud for Mac is a basic program that creates a solid backdrop behind your active window, eliminating the visual clutter of everything else you have open. Shroud is a great choice if you want or need to keep lots of things open but also tend to have trouble focusing on the task at hand.
It never occurred to us that Shroud was something that we might need, but using it proved surprisingly calming. The default color for Shroud is a dark gray, but users can change it to whatever custom color they desire. Enabling Shroud is as easy as selecting it from the dock and then choosing whatever application you want to focus on; Shroud will supply a blank, solid background behind it. Users can also create keyboard shortcuts to activate Shroud, and it can be set to appear behind the frontmost window or the frontmost application. We liked that, by default, Shroud hides the menu bar. If you find that you keep checking the clock, this is a great way to break yourself of this habit and focus on your work. Mousing over the menu bar will reveal it, though, and this feature can also be disabled if it's not for you. Shroud for Mac is easy to use, but it also comes with a comprehensive Help file.
Shroud for Mac installs and uninstalls without issues. Overall, we were surprised by how much we liked Shroud for Mac, and we recommend it to anyone who could use a little help focusing.
From Nicholas Riley:
Shroud places a solid-color backdrop behind windows or applications on your Mac to allow you to focus. Unlike some similar applications, the backdrop doesn't activate when you click on it, messing up your carefully arranged workspace. Shroud also (optionally) obscures your menu bar until you move the mouse over it.
What's new in this version:
- Note: This version requires Mac OS X 10.6 or later, including OS X Lion (10.7) and Mountain Lion (10.8). Shroud 1.1.2 is the last version to support Mac OS X 10.5.
- Hide or show Shroud's backdrop with a keyboard shortcut.
- Focus on the frontmost window in OS X 10.8.
- Eliminate flashing when focusing on the frontmost window or application (not entirely in Mac OS X 10.6, however).
- Try to ensure Shroud's Preferences appears in front of the backdrop in more cases... See all new features
More Products to Consider
- Powerful general purpose text editor, and Unix and server admin...
- Save & organize any text you may want handy.
- Edit mind maps, XML/HTML documents, and directory trees.
- Countup/countdown chronometer.
- Play a wide range of audio files at variable speed to assist wi...
- Personal finance and money management for individuals and small...
- List of all active shortcuts of the current application.
- OneNote-style note taking and clipping app.
- Enhanced calendar app with iCal and Google Calendar sync/sharin...
- Sophisticated text editor for code, markup and prose.
- Video SIP softphone application.
- Scientific and Programmers desktop calculator with variables an...
- Simple alarm clock & timer.
- Organize and manage your finances and track your spending.
- Quickly create visually appealing mind maps.
- Spoken-word transcription software.
- Slows down the system pointer so you can place it precisely in ...
- Fast access to Favorites folder & drop boxes.
- Customizable app switch menu like Classic OS's.
- Cmm creates new documents from a list of a specified types to s...
- Launch a group of apps.
- Streamlined license management tool for Mac apps.
- Produce receipts and invoices for UK & US customers and print t...
- Phonebook, SMS, gallery, calendar, themes for Nokia phones.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content