CNET Editors' review
Google Chrome is a strong contender in the raging browser wars, but it's not without its critics. Concerns have been raised about several aspects of Chrome that could potentially compromise user privacy. SRWare Iron Portable is a browser that's based on the Chromium source code and is nearly identical to Chrome, but it addresses several of these privacy concerns.
Visually, SRWare Iron Portable is virtually indistinguishable from Chrome, and it functions just as Chrome does; it's sleek and speedy. We were unable to install Chrome extensions in Iron Portable, but this seems to be related to the fact that this is the portable version of the browser. Other than that, we noticed very few differences between Iron Portable and Chrome. There are seven privacy issues that Iron claims to address: the installation ID, the suggest feature, alternate error pages, error reporting, RLZ tracking, the Google updater, and the URL tracker. All of these features have been removed, which may or may not be problematic for you. RLZ tracking lets Google know when Chrome has been downloaded as part of a promotional package, and most users are unlikely to know or care about that. But if you like Chrome's predictive search terms, you're going to miss them in Iron, because they've been removed so that the browser does not communicate with Google as you're typing your search terms. The browser's online Help file is brief and not written in very good English. Overall, we think that SRWare Iron Portable is a good choice if you're interested in a portable browser that makes privacy one of its top concerns.
SRWare Iron Portable comes as ZIP file. It is accessible after extraction with no need for installation.
SRWare Iron Portable is a web browser implementation of the Chromium source code which primarily aims to eliminate usage tracking and other privacy-compromising functionality that the Google Chrome browser includes. While Iron does not provide extra privacy compared to Chromium, it does implement some additional features that distinguish it from Google Chrome, such as built-in ad blocking.
What's new in this version: Version 28.0.1550.01 includes improvements on new rendering engine "Blink", rich notifications, and security and bugfixes.
More Products to Consider
- Explore the Web using Google's super-fast browser.
- Surf the Web without a concern for your privacy and security.
- Surf the Internet without any bloat.
- Manage and organize your RSS feeds and TV Shows.
- Take your bookmarks, surf internet, and experience the private ...
- Run Java applications on your Windows computer.
- Take Google's Chrome browser with you on a USB stick.
- Surf the Web comfortably, relying on speed, safety, and power o...
- Run Java applications on your Windows computer.
- Try the faster browser that lets you get the most from today's ...
- View Flash multimedia content through your browser.
- Browse internet using a Chrome-based browser with automation fe...
- Detect trackers and control their ability to view your online b...
- View, organize, and manage multimedia files and all possible im...
- Explore the Web in a safe and secure way.
- Browse the web with this lightweight customizable browser.
- Navigate the Web with HTTPS browser that encrypts browsing sess...
- Scan for working online coupon codes during checkout while shop...
- Get a full-featured CD and DVD burner.
- Surf the Web with browser with automatic form filler, popup blo...
- View and edit text files on PC.
- Unblock Web sites and browse securely in Google Chrome.
- Download video from Metacafe, Vimeo, Facebok, and other sites v...
- View and read PDF files from your PC.
All versions:3.7 stars
out of 3 votes
Current version:3.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"AMATEURS messed up settings and lost bookmarks!"
Version: SRWare Iron Portable 28.0.1550.01
This is about the same as chrome, but like they said, with a few minor nuances. Can't see difference in the user experience. I prefer the portable version, because you know updates won't fnck up your registry or cause windows to malfunction.
the most basic of things has not been checked or taken care of, when srware pushed the last update (automatically). it crushed my bookmarks and replaced it with an emtpy file (except for the link to bild.me and iron search page), and pretty much crushed all my settings as well.
this is an oversight that is very amateurish.
it puts into question their competence.
procedures and good practices is part of programming-101!
If they could get rid of the amateur programmers, or at least get their experienced ones to show better leadership, that would certainly be nice!
I like this browser.
It's a lot like Chrome - not much difference.
after the recent update deleted ALL my personalized settings AND bookmarks, I am wondering if I might want to return to standard Chrome. I know that at least, at google, they know what they are doing!