CNET Editors' review
When you need to paste text, the whole text, and nothing but the text, turn to this modestly appointed clipboard app. With a default hot key combination of WINDOWS V, PureText pastes plain, stripped-down, unformatted text from the source document to its destination quickly and without fuss.
It's hardly what one would call feature-rich, but this freeware offering doesn't need to be. It worked equally well on Vista and XP in our tests, and pasted flawlessly from Web documents. It would be nice if PureText had an optional desktop icon and was listed in the program menu; unless you've selected to run PureText on startup, you'll need to run the EXE to launch the app anew.
From Steve Miller:
PureText allows you to paste text to any application without formatting. It removes rich formatting from text. This includes the font face, font style, font color, paragraph styles (left/right/center aligned), margins, character spacing, bullets, subscript, superscript, tables, charts, pictures, and embedded objects. However, it does not modify the actual text. It will not remove or fix new-lines, carriage returns, tabs, or other white-space. It will not fix word-wrap or clean up your paragraphs. If you copy the source code of a web page to the clipboard, it is not going to remove all the HTML tags.
What's new in this version: Version 3.0 has added support for using the ALT key in Hot-Keys and fixed issue that prevented many Hot-Keys from working on Windows 8.
More Products to Consider
- Bring back the Windows "Start" menu to Windows 8.
- Return the Windows 7 style Start menu to Windows 8.
- Create multiple alerts which can alert you at a specific moment...
- Enable clock with countdown, reminder, stopwatch, and desktop s...
- Place favorite Web links, program shortcuts, and widgets on a f...
- Clean up icon clutter on your desktop.
- Set unlimited numbers of alarm clocks on Windows.
- Download and change your desktop wallpaper.
- Keep your favorite apps, control panel, websites, files and fol...
- Get dock with live icon reflections and speed up access to your...
- Launch any document, folder, program, or website with few keyst...
- Capture and print out anything on PC screen via hotkeys.
- Word processor.
- Enhance your desktop with different widgets.
- Get transparent menus on your desktop.
- Compute measurements between different units.
- Revive your Start Menu in Windows 8.
- Customize the look and feel of the Windows user interface.
- Program to rename files.
- Change font size in SharePoint 2010 on a click.
- Stick your notes on desktop to read them at any time.
- Monitor the clipboard and keeps track of its entries.
- Give your Windows 7, XP, or Vista cursor a wide range of effect...
- Find new pals and friends all over the world.
All versions:4.6 stars
out of 23 votes
Current version:3.7 stars
out of 3 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-3 of 3
"Does exactly what it's supposed to"
Version: PureText 3.0
Low memory usage
No installation required
I don't know if it's just me, but it seems like there's a second or two delay in the new version that didn't used to occur. I'm using it on a new system, though, so it could be that.
Highly recommended. No bloat, no UI flash, no BS. Just does what it's supposed to do, and does it well.I don't know what the CNET downloader program does, but if you download from the direct link, all you get is a nice little ZIP file with the EXE in it. There is no installer, so I'm not sure what the other users could be talking about aside from the CNET program itself. My recommendation: always use the direct download link.
Updated on Feb 7, 2013
"Ditto on the warning about ride along software"
Version: PureText 3.0
The Puretext itself is very helpful software. It becomes very easy to copy text from any source and then paste it as unformatted into any other document or chat window.
Very difficult to remove crapware comes with this installer. It will hijack your preferred search engine, add an unwanted toolbar, and hijack your homepage unless you VERY CAREFULLY uncheck all of the pre-checked options in the agreement.
Very good program that consorts with very bad company in the installer.
"Product is installing other malware."
Version: PureText 3.0
This product works great, but see cons below.
This is installing infoatoms as a browser plugin that is malware and difficult to remove. Do not recommend in the short term.
It is not worth the hassle to download this and have the infoatoms malware. I did not realize this until it was too late and had to go through a frustrating process to remove. Overall, with the infoatoms, I would not recommend.