CNET Editors' review
Pixel Ruler is a free application that claims to allow you to use your mouse to dynamically measure pixels. With it, you can accurately measure selected onscreen views in pixels, which can help when configuring image formats, creating graphics, and scaling images. It shows measurements in pixels up to 2,500 pixels in width or 1,500 pixels in height.
After a painless download and a surprisingly detailed installation process, a horizontal ruler appeared on our screen. There's also a ruler for vertical measurement. The interface consists only of these rulers; there are no navigation buttons or other controls. We would have consulted a Help file, but alas, none exists. However, this tool is extremely easy to use. Pixel Ruler floats above the desktop and can be dragged and dropped anywhere on the screen. As we moved our cursor up and down the ruler, a tiny box displayed the measurement from the end point in pixels. Clicking or double-clicking the ruler switches between the horizontal and vertical views. Right-clicking a ruler closes the program.
This application installs and uninstalls cleanly. Pixel Ruler doesn't require personal information or registration, nor does it ask for a username or password. As far as pixel measurement goes, surely there is a better option.
Pixel Ruler features horizontal and vertical orientation, dynamic mouse measurement tracking in pixels, cool design. Pixel Ruler float over your screen, work with all applications, show measurements in Pixels, rotate to horizontal or vertical position, auto-size, up to 2500 pixels width or 1500 pixels height.
More Products to Consider
- Enhance your desktop with different widgets.
- Bring back the Windows "Start" menu to Windows 8.
- Return the Windows 7 style Start menu to Windows 8.
- Create multiple alerts which can alert you at a specific moment...
- Enable clock with countdown, reminder, stopwatch, and desktop s...
- Place favorite Web links, program shortcuts, and widgets on a f...
- Clean up icon clutter on your desktop.
- Set unlimited numbers of alarm clocks on Windows.
- Magnify and measure accurately between points on your screen.
- Get dock with live icon reflections and speed up access to your...
- Customize the look and feel of the Windows user interface.
- Give your Windows 7, XP, or Vista cursor a wide range of effect...
- Create and stick electronic notes on your Windows desktop.
- Install multiple useful gadgets for Windows 7 in one click.
- Wake up/remember important event to your favorite songs.
- Personalize your Windows 8 start and lock screens with your own...
- Monitor your processor temperature via a graph at the bottom of...
- Show hidden fields with their name attribute.
- Convert and display resistor color bands.
- Display an animated talking character on your desktop.
- Gain quick access to all types of shortcuts via an easily searc...
- Perform calculations and express the result in various linear m...
- Wake up to this alarm clock that has a different alarm for each...
- Analyze your desktop icons and keep them organized.
All versions:3.0 stars
out of 2 votes
Current version:3.0 stars
out of 2 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-2 of 2
"Nice, clean, easy to use"
Version: Pixel Ruler 4.0
Quick, simple, clear, adjusts automatically
Not big enough for two screens, no 'real' measurements, Has a moving bar showing your position anywhere on the screen
Would be perfect if the rule spread over more than one screen
"Poorer than other free rulers"
Version: Pixel Ruler 4.0
Easy to use
It works as designed
Dedicated good quality install / uninstall wizard
No help file
It takes 25M to run (against 6 for similar free rulers)
No inch / cm unit of measure
The ruler adjust its size even when the mouse is moved far to operate on underlaying window
Other free rulers have more functions
Thank you to publishers to make available this tool, however his quality is well below similar products