CNET Editors' review
Phoenix Slides for Mac helps you easily navigate through directories and subdirectories containing images and then play slideshows in full screen. The program is easy to use, performs fast, and, above all, is free.
Phoenix Slides for Mac offers a clean and easy-to-navigate interface. There is a separate window for image info., which you can close or move anywhere you like on the screen. It's fairly easy to get started, but there is comprehensive documentation available on the developer's Web site to guide users through all available features and shortcuts. Browsing through directories containing images is a smooth process with the well-organized tree file viewer and the slideshows played without issue. The interface offers a great amount of customization options for displaying the selected images. It features a basic slider at the bottom, which is used to set the size of thumbnails. In the program's preferences the user can set up some basic options such as thumbnail background color, maximum thumbnail width, etc. as well as some default options for the slideshows such as customization of the advanced behavior of slides, background color or transparency, display options for images, etc. During the slideshow the user can access controls by hitting the 'h' or '?' keys. The list of available shortcuts and controls then appears with the options such as pause and continue, auto-advance, assign to group, show and hide image info., rotate, flip, zoom in and out, etc. You can perform all of these operations without interrupting the slideshow. Apart from being able to perform lossless transformations on JPEG files, the program doesn't offer any additional options for image editing, which would've been a nice addition.
Phoenix Slides for Mac seems suitable for users who are looking for a free, smooth, and fast full-screen image browser without any additional image editing options.
From Gold Mountain Software:
Phoenix Slides is a fast full-screen slideshow program/image browser, for flipping through folders or disks full of images. Phoenix Slides also does lossless JPEG transformations and can display EXIF data.
- fast (pre-cached) full-screen slideshows
- rotate/zoom in slideshow
- fast JPEG thumbnails (uses Epeg)
- lossless JPEG rotation
- view EXIF data, JPEG comments
- search subfolders (recursively) for images
- move files to trash, set image as desktop
- supports drag and drop, Finder aliases
- Localizations: Chinese (Traditional), German, French
What's new in this version:
- info bar during slideshow is now hidden by default; showing/hiding of the info bar is now retained when quitting
- universal binary again! the last version inadvertently dropped support for powerpc machines. (although, this will probably be the last version to support anything before 10.6)
More Products to Consider
- Create, alter, and manipulate photos.
- Lightweight, speedy image viewer/browser.
- Graphics illustration suite.
- Illustration, page layout, photo-editing apps, OS 9 fix.
- View, edit, convert most image formats.
- Organize, edit, and share pictures locally or online.
- Create artwork, correct color, retouch scanned images.
- Create powerful images and discover new dimensions in digital i...
- Image organizer: makes books, slideshows.
- Image browsing and editing for both still images and movies.
- Resize, rename, crop, rotate and watermark photos with drag & d...
- Control photoshop from automator.
- Make your images look beautiful and realistic.
- Browse, view, tag and share images and galleries.
- Capture your full screen, a region of your screen, or scrolling...
- Fast, simple image viewer & metadata editor.
- Create flyers, newsletters, brochures.
- Image viewer for photos, comics, manga, and the web.
- Print labels, greeting cards, posters, calendars...
- View comic and manga images.
- Sync iPhoto libraries across computers (was iPhotoSync).
- Local & remote image browser.
- Professional-grade raw converter and image editor.
- Simple image viewing, converting, editing, filtering.
All versions:4.8 stars
out of 19 votes
Current version:5.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1