CNET Editors' review
OnyX is a utility for Macs that allows you to check the integrity of your startup files, as well as configure some hidden parameters of your system. There are OnyX versions for the latest releases of Mac OS X (and they are not cross-release compatible) so you have to download the appropriate version. The download is free and OnyX installs easily as long as you allow installs from non-App Store sources.
OnyX can verify your startup disk and the System file structure. By itself, this is a useful function in case of system issues. However, OnyX does more, allowing you to configure some parameters not typically accessible for the Finder, Dock, Safari, Mail, and other apps. You can also use OnyX to delete disk caches and logs. The OnyX interface features dialogs, which look a little overwhelming but actually are designed to give you control over all the parameters OnyX can touch. The learning curve is not trivial, but not complex, either.
The flexibility OnyX offers is remarkable, and while you can't get OnyX from the App Store, it is available through the developer's Web site. Since OnyX has been around since 2003 and there's a constant update process from a dedicated developer, this is one of the more useful utilities we've encountered. Recommended.
From Titanium's Software:
OnyX is a multifunction utility for OS X. It allows you to verify the Startup Disk and the structure of its System files, to run misc tasks of system maintenance, to configure the hidden parameters of the Finder, Dock, Spotlight, and of some of Apple's own applications, to delete caches, to remove a certain number of files and folders that may become cumbersome and more.
What's new in this version: New option : Change the background image in the Login window Bug corrected while purging the inactive memory Deleting the Cache improved Added ability to uninstall in the Help menu New version of sqlite3 Arabic translation added Spanish translation added
More Products to Consider
- Graphical disk usage utility.
- Recover data and photos from lost partitions and drives.
- Expand RAR archives on your Mac.
- Snow Leopard operating system.
- Optimize and personalize the appearance of your Mac.
- Recovers photo, videos and music files efficiently.
- Extract, recover, and backup WhatsApp chat messages on your iPh...
- Mac operating system for Intel-based Macs.
- Remove apps, data, and other unnecessary junk.
- Mount, read & write to NTFS-formatted drives under OS X.
- Synchronize your files automatically to your computers and the ...
- Add tabs and new features to the OS X Finder.
- Restore bmp, jpg, png, tif, mp3 files fast and accurately.
- Screen capture utility.
- Expand over 30 formats: StuffIt, Zip, RAR, 7z, tar, open encryp...
- Clean up your Mac.
- Recover files, photos and office documents.
- OS X Mountain Lion is the latest release of the world's most ad...
- Protect the security of Mac from Trojans.
- Simple way to quickly manage tasks and resource usage on your M...
- Data recovery software.
- File sharing app that makes it simple to manage, protect and sh...
- Recover your lost data.
- Graph your debt profile and find the best way out of debt.
All versions:2.8 stars
out of 16 votes
Current version:2.5 stars
out of 2 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-2 of 2
"Used since 2008"
Version: OnyX (Mavericks) 2.8.2
1. Easy to understand and follow assuming directions supplied are read
2. Reliable when appropriate version is used for MacOS
3. Keeps maintenance items close at hand and not all have to be used.
With older version of Mac OS, when Mac wasn't so active, about running application that Apple had not approved of and was not selling to developers with Apple blessing and approval, this application could be updated easily.
Now however because Apple has chosen to control application to some degree we much all wait for update versions to post AFTER beta is done. This is NOT developer's fault to the extent Apple is trying to control what is or is not loaded to OS 10.9.x
I have found this application to be reliable and actually credit it with it's support of keeping my Mac running smoothly and effectively.If there are issues with downloading from CNet try Titanium Onyx directly from their website.
Updated on Apr 3, 2014
"Spigot Adware with this download"
Version: OnyX (Mavericks) 2.8.2
Onyx is awesome
Downloading via Cnet installs adware that changes your browsers to Yahoo search and installs third-party extensions
DO NOT DOWNLOAD via Cnet. Go to Onyx's site unless you want adware installed.