CNET Editors' review
My Family Tree's attractive user interface and drag-and-drop capability make it easy to create and update your personal family tree. You can attach photos, videos, sound clips, and more to individual records, including your own narratives. It has a full range of genealogical tools, such as relationship calculators, timelines, statistics, and even genetic data, and can also import GEDCOM data. The latest release, v3.0.5, adds support for KMZ files in reports and generally-improved performance. My Family Tree is freeware with separate downloads for 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Windows XP to 8. We tried the 64-bit version in Windows 7.
My Family Tree's installer offered to import GEDCOM data and other options. We clicked "Start a New Family Tree," opening a nice two-panel interface with up-to-date graphics (plus Themes) and a wizard-like process that quickly walked us through each step: name, gender, date, birthplace, and so on. The birth date field uses a scrolling selector that tried to enter the current date as we typed; but most fields let us type in data, directly. An image icon told us to drag and drop our portrait, but we tried several times with no success -- nor could we attach photos or other files to our record. Acting on a hunch, we saved our file and then reopened it, and then we could drag images and other files into our record. That's a bit clunky, but again, most of My Family Tree is easy to use. The next step was to enter the parental units, starting with Father. Each new entry appears as a branch on our growing family tree in the left panel. Creating ancestor trees is similar.
My Family Tree has tons more to explore, like Reports, or a Tools menu with photo capture, sound recorder, character map, and other extras. We've seen free genealogy tools with as many features and extras as My Family Tree, but few as easy to use. If you're thinking about recording your family history, My Family Tree is a good place to start.
From Chronoplex Software:
My Family Tree (64-bit) is a genealogy product aimed at both the novice and advanced family historian. With its modern user interface and wide range of features, My Family Tree will help you create your family tree in no time at all. It features include simple flexible workflow, visualize, and interact with your family tree and conveniently store all your research in a single file.
What's new in this version: Version 3.0.5 add support for Compressed Keyhole Markup Language Files (KMZ) in place reports and performance improvements.
More Products to Consider
- Look up words in thesaurus and dictionary from almost any progr...
- Hear the Athan (Azan) automatically five times a day at each pr...
- View your real-time physical position on moving Google Map.
- View satellite pictures, maps, terrain, buildings and other glo...
- View, read, and convert EPub eBooks.
- Read King James Bible on your PC.
- Discover how to type and improve your typing.
- Collect GPS data from various GPS trackers simultaneously.
- Evaluate mathematical equations, generate graphs from equations...
- Learn touch-typing with a program that dynamically adjusts trai...
- Manage all aspects of a school's student administrative system.
- Get English and Sinhala definitions with technical terms glossa...
- Search and read the Quran in different languages.
- Convert Kindle Mobi, AZW, PRC books to ePUB format to read Kind...
- Get an English too Bangla dictionary.
- Create Flash banners in Adobe Dreamweaver.
- Display Quran in Uthmani script with many options and settings ...
- Get reminders about prayer time.
- Select and defrag files on your hard disk.
- Calculate body mass index for women.
- Create your family tree with ease.
- Correct deficiencies of room acoustics using multipoint compens...
- Learn touch typing in Hindi and English.
- Calculate your BMI using a chart.
All versions:3.0 stars
out of 2 votes
Current version:3.0 stars
out of 2 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-2 of 2
"Perfect for what I need!"
Version: My Family Tree (64-bit) 3.0.5
Small, simple, intuitive; doesn't try to take you to a website or nag you to do searches. Since what I want is to be able to keep track of the extended family in a book series I'm writing, it's 100% awesome for my needs (I'm on Ancestry.com for my actual family). It might be too simple for a gung-ho genealogist, but to create a family tree with a picture and notes about each person, it's perfect.
No cons for me, but as I use it, I find that there aren't a lot of extra features. The custom attributes leaves something to be desired for me. Since what I *really* should be doing is writing, and not making tons of notes, maybe that's for the best. :)
No "malware" here - make sure you click on the "Direct Download Link", though. As **SOON** as you put your mouse over the big green "Download" ad button, a message shows that tells you that the CNET Downloader is an ad-supported stub, which should have been the first reviewer's first clue (MyPC Backup is an add-on, not a virus, and by clicking that button, you 'agree' to install it). Always read carefully when you download anything, anywhere! You can usually uncheck all those things, if you go slow enough and don't just hit "continue" without even looking. Always scroll through the EULA as well ... sometimes 'offers' are hidden at the bottom of those.
"Danger Will Robinson. Malware."
Version: My Family Tree (64-bit) 3.0.5
No immediate deaths occurred.
Chock full of nasty Malware, adware, etc. including the infamous "mypc backup".
Zero Stars. Steer clear.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content