CNET Editors' review
While we appreciate this program's unobtrusive approach to reminding us of important task and appointments, its second-rate interface design left very little to be desired.
MiniMinder appears as a tiny window on your desktop. Important reminders are presented on top of a green background, which is a little hard to read. Clicking on the Edit button introduces the second interface, which lacks any effort at design. The Options menu is the place for scheduling daily reminders, but it offered very few scheduling options. It mostly contained options for changing the interface's appearance. Adding a new task involved entering the event name, and selecting an occurrence option from an awkward drop-down list. We were able to add a specific date, but not a specific time. The program includes a Help feature, but it's just as awkward, clutter, and difficult to navigate as the program itself. Eventually, we were able to add a task, and receive the reminder, but getting to that point was a pain.
If you're looking for an easy to use program to keep you on task, this probably isn't the one for you, even with the free price tag. We recommend that you keep looking for a calendar program that sports a more professionally designed, easy to navigate interface.
When you reach the desktop, MiniMinder greets you with a slick, daily countdown to all the upcoming dates and alarms you wish to track. You can set yearly, quarterly, monthly or daily events, events such as the 4th Thursday of the month, events in increments such as every 28 days and MiniMinder can also calculate the dates for floating holidays such as Easter and Passover. Each event can be set with its own unique advance notice and when an event is taken care of (birthday card sent, credit card payment made) you can right-click it from the Reminders Window and chose to hide it until its next occurrence. Setting alarms is as simple as adding a time inside your event title and you can watch the countdown to your alarm times from the Reminders Window. To top it all off, an impressive collection of Daily Quotes files have been submitted by fans of the MiniMinder. These Daily Quotes can optionally be served along with your daily reminders.
What's new in this version: Version 8.4 features enhanced printing features for Vista, Win7 & 8 users, as well as a working donation link.
More Products to Consider
- Organize your schedule and provide reminders of upcoming events...
- Catch up with your daily events and meeting schedules.
- Create and manage various events and to-do list on your desktop...
- Schedule, plan, and remind yourself of important events.
- Manage any mobile phone from the PC via Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, or ca...
- Create printable calendars with saved activities in MS Word and...
- Incorporate images and formatted text into your daily diary.
- Take notes and stick them to your desktop.
- Manage your email, time and calendar.
- Create Post-it notes, bookmark websites, send/receive notes, se...
- Create amortization schedule in Excel for fixed-rate loan.
- Split and merge PDF documents.
- Edit plain text in Notepad alternative equipped with time-savin...
- Plan and manage finances right on a calendar.
- Build, save, share, and print arbitrary mind maps.
- View, create list, and modify installed fonts on your computer.
- Plan your activities, display notifications, launch application...
- Eliminate your credit card debt and consumer loans using popula...
- Allow you to convert any PC into a till.
- Perform complex calculations and mine bitcoins.
- Make notes, mark important events in order not to forget.
- Get audible and visual reminders of important events or appoint...
- Read and manage RSS/ATOM feeds and content.
- Access a digital diary that accepts entries up to the end of th...
All versions:4.5 stars
out of 105 votes
Current version:4.7 stars
out of 3 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-3 of 3
"The quickest, easiest solution out there"
Version: MiniMinder 8.4
All sorts of event types, from yearly (anniversaries, birthdays) to counting the days from an event in the distant future or past, to floating holidays like Easter and the Jewish holidays. Best thing is, the whole program contains just two screens and it's very quick to add new dates.
None that I can think of.
Well worth the donation, I don't know where I'd be without my daily reminders.
Version: MiniMinder 8.4
I've used mini minder for years. Really great little program.
New computer. Donloaded and installed. For some reason, the reminder blip doesn't show at boot up. Have to manually open it.
"Nice, simple, easy-to-use program"
Version: MiniMinder 8.4
I have been using Mini-Minder for several years now. I looked at various calendar programs but most were really more than I needed.
I like the list & countdown features for upcoming events. It doesn't help me to look at a day on a calendar in order to gauge how far in the future something is taking place. The Mini-Minder lets me know exactly how many days away (or months & days, depending on your preference) something is taking place, or a bill is due, or my next VACATION is. You can put the year in for a birthday/anniversary and every reminder will tell you how old the person, or how long married, etc.
You can customize the colors, fonts, sounds, pop-ups, etc. It's easy to do and learn. The CNET reviewer couldn't have spent very much time with this program, and it is obvious from my experience as well as the other positive user reviews here.
Cannot download directly from developer site, must do so here, thereby facing a deluge of extra unwanted add-ons trying to sneak their way in.
As of today (Dec 10) the "Download Now" with the CNET Installer does NOT link to the newest version (8.4). You will end up installing 8.3 again through this. Click on the "Direct Download Link" link underneath that and this will give you the updated 8.4 version of Mini-Minder.