CNET Editors' review
This program was designed to rival Notepad, but its functionality far surpasses the Windows standard. Metapad's interface is a minor facelift to Notepad, with icons and tool tips replacing plain text prompts. Under the menus, Metapad offers numerous improvements and increased functionality such as dual fonts, configurable tabs, and the ability to save to text, HTML, or source code formats such as Java. Metapad also supports an external viewer, such as a Web browser, to display hyperlinks.
The program loads very fast and requires a bare minimum of memory to run. It could easily replace Notepad on a user's system, but making it the default Windows text editor is not a simple process: the program FAQ lists three methods, none of which are for novices. Most users will prefer to load the program through a shortcut. Metapad has been around long enough for users to create language packs, spell check, and other add-ons. This program should be added to any Windows system, and will soon become the preferred text editor for novices and advanced users alike.
Metapad is a small, fast, 32-bit Notepad replacement. Not only does Metapad have almost every feature in Notepad, it contains many extra features that make it considerably more powerful than Notepad (for instance, unlimited file size, saved window placement, intelligent find and replace, external viewers, and useful keyboard shortcuts). Metapad is useful for Web site maintenance and simple programming tasks.
Version 3.51 is a bug fixing release.
What's new in this version: Version 3.6 has new high resolution app icon, UI & usability updates, a new feature that remembers folders across sessions, better defaults for general settings, UTF-8 file support.
More Products to Consider
- Create printable calendars with saved activities in Microsoft W...
- Take notes and stick them to your desktop.
- Manage your email, time and calendar.
- Create Post-it notes, bookmark Web sites, send/receive notes, s...
- Split and merge PDF documents.
- Create and manage various events and to-do list on your desktop...
- Schedule, plan, and remind yourself of important events.
- Organize tasks, task lists, notes, and reminders in hierarchica...
- Organize your time with proactive time tracker working like a p...
- Organize your life, manage contacts, create to do list, and be ...
- Schedule and manage employees, customers, rooms, and equipment ...
- Create amortization schedule in Excel for fixed-rate loan.
- Calculate the annual percent rate on your loan.
- Build, save, share, and print arbitrary mind maps.
- Create sticky notes on your desktop.
- Search for files on your computer.
- Create and manage personal todo list and shared task list for y...
- Catch up with your daily events and meeting schedules.
- Boost up your Windows built-in search with more speed and funct...
- Track your important events and get reminders of them.
- Add unlimited program shortcuts to the taskbar tray.
- Transfer content between Android, iPhone, and Symbian phones.
- Schedule programs, scripts, and other tasks to start automatica...
- Record all keystrokes made on your computer and store them on t...
All versions:4.3 stars
out of 55 votes
Current version:4.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"Really good and very fast. Been using it for years."
Version: Metapad 3.6
- Hyperlinks are 'live', unlike Notepad
- I love the Favorites dropdown menu with its keyboard shortcut
When I moved from XP to WINDOWS 7, I read the writeup on how to install it and found it too complicated to attempt. This was all nonesense because I finally just copied the folder from XP into WIN 7 and it just started. Those instructions are redundant.
Maybe there are more sophisticated text apps out there but I don't need more features than what metapad has.