From Blue Coat Systems:
K9 Web Protection is easy-to-use Parental Control and Internet filtering software that helps parents protect their children online. K9 Web Protection has the ability to block adult, porn and other offensive content, prevent spyware infections, and monitor visited sites on any Internet access connection (AOL, MSN, Yahoo, Earthlink). Based on commercial-grade Web filtering controls from Blue Coat Systems, K9 Web Protection is unique among content filters and it is free for home use. K9 can be configured as a porn blocker, a spyware stopper, a gambling filter or various other configurations based on our over 69 Web categories.
What's new in this version:
- Windows 8 Metro App filtering support
- Implemented experimental Advanced YouTube Filtering
- Added additional configuration options:
- Disable HTTPS block notifications
- Disable Google SSL redirection
- Separate Option for YouTube Safety Mode
- Improved HTTPS filtering
- Compatibility with more Antivirus and Firewall vendors
More Products to Consider
- Record keystrokes, log visited websites, take screenshots and s...
- Antivirus app powered by the open-source ClamAV engine.
- Protect your PC against the latest viruses and spyware.
- Find out what your kids are doing online.
- Get Wi-Fi privacy and security, protect yourself from malware t...
- Maintain your anonymity online and secure your web session.
- Protects privacy online and secures your computer.
- Protect your anonymity and others' as you browse the web.
- Detect apps that establish outgoing Internet connections.
- Easy-to-use protection from viruses, Trojans and worms. Quarant...
- Scan the page behind any link you click on or any web address y...
- Detect spyware, clean up Internet privacy clutter and protects ...
- MacKeeper is like 911 for your Mac.
- Lock and unlock your Mac account by using your face and track y...
- Record keystrokes, websites, chats, and screenshots.
- Add website interactive calculation & visualizations.
- Parentally controlled web filter app.
- Protect yourself from unfriendly websites and applications on M...
- Advanced protection to surf, bank and shop online with your Mac...
- Acrobat PDF imposition solution.
- Monitor user activity on your Mac Pro, iMac, MacBook, MacBook A...
- Secure your privacy and maintain your anonymity while surfing t...
- Parentally controlled Web filter app.
- Keylogger application for your Mac OS X.
All versions:4.0 stars
out of 2 votes
Current version:0 stars Be the first to review this product
My rating:Write review
Results 1-2 of 2
"Good product and free, but no longer effective with AOL"
Version: K9 Web Protection 4.0.288
Effective filter, very customizable. Can limit hours, can cut off internet access if tomm many prohibited sites selected, Can set to bark loudly for filtered site. List of filtere sites always current. Hard to sneak around.
Stopped working with AOL browser 6 mos ago. Had used for a year, and suddenly it didn't work with AOL. Still works fine with IE. A problem is random barking if computer is in use or not. No remote reports or keyboard logging if you need those.
This seemed to be an outstanding product almost two years ago when i first started using it, particularly since it was free. I had started with NetNanny, which was great for censoring everything an enterprising child might search for, including covering up sexually related pictures anywhere in the computer's files. But NetNanny was too aggressive and even blocked the Wall Street Journal.
Then I tried K9 and really liked it. OUr setup is that grandchildren occasionally visit and use our computers, We don't need remote monitoring or keyboard logging, which K9 doesn't have. We wanted a good filter. And K9 is highly customizable. If you don't want the search engines to look for "panites", for example, you can block that word and as long a list of words as you like. You can also block categories like gambing, or terrorism, or whatever you wish. You can set it to block internet access at whatever hours you wish. The list of automatically blocked websites always seemed up-to-date.
Negatives: As noted above, K9 no longer blocks the AOL browser, meaning it is useless for us now. There is no way to engage is a dialog with the maker about this. (After all, you are getting it for free, but it would be most helpful.) And the random barking is annoying.
"An amazing package!"
Version: K9 Web Protection 4.0.288
Very easy to setup and works amazingly well. If someone tries to access one of the blocked sites you can set it to bark loudly alerting us to what they are looking at! Brilliant!
Haven't found any yet..
An excellent piece of software and can't believe it is free on a mac! Thanks!