An advanced search utility, HoudahSpot for Mac offers plenty of search filters and features, which enable you to do more thorough searches. It's a capable app but not necessarily easy to use.
Comprehensive search: HoudahSpot for Mac supports multiple search options, such as grouping the searches or using user-defined groups, and can search file attributes and the content of text files. It can also do a fuzzy search using the parameters you enter.
Include and exclude locations: The search can be limited to a certain location on the computer, or it can be specific to certain folders on user-mounted volumes or Spotlight indexed pages. Explicit locations can also be excluded.
Interface full of options: Integrating with Spotlight to help you find files on your computer, it features an interface that looks like Finder, except for the sidebar full of filters and options.
Not for simple searches: Simple searches can be done more easily with Spotlight.
Not for beginners: As an advanced search tool, it might not appeal to beginners. There are too many options that can easily confuse a beginner.
Search parameters can be contradictory: If you're not paying attention to all the search parameters you choose, you might end up with conflicting filters.
HoudahSpot for Mac proves to be a potent search tool that allows you to filter many search results fairly quickly. However, this app can be counterintuitive to basic searches, for which filters are seldom needed. This app is definitely not for beginners -- grab it only if you must search through thousands of files using many filters.
Editors' note: This is a review of the trial version of HoudahSpot for Mac 3.9.2.
HoudahSpot is a powerful file search tool based upon Mac OS X Spotlight.
- Keep frequently used files within reach
- Retrieve the files you didn't know you still had
- Don't waste time filing. Save time finding
'HoudahSpot is the front end most Spotlight users don't know they're missing!'
HoudahSpot unleashes the power of Spotlight. It makes good on the promise of quickly finding the files you search for.
- Create detailed queries to pinpoint the exact file you want to get to
- Narrow down searches. Step by step, zero in on files
- Save active queries as documents for direct access to your favorite files
- Set up templates for frequently performed searches
- Tag files for easy retrieval
- Do some housekeeping: Have HoudahSpot find music files not yet in your Music folder. Drag them to where they belong
'HoudahSpot is EXACTLY what Spotlight should have been in Mac OS X'
- Chris Pirillo, @ChrisPirillo
What's new in this version:
- New Feature: Tag Mail messages
Tag mail messages by drag-and-drop from Apple Mail.app to the HoudahSpot Tray
- Bug fix: Search mounted NAS volumes
HoudahSpot failed to search certain Spotlight-indexed network volumes
- Bug fix: Preferred Template
Selection in the menu to select a preferred template was off by one