CNET Editors' review
We've tried tons of freeware MP3 converters. They tend to fall somewhere in between Easy Enough for Beginners and Feature-Filled for Experts. DVDVideoSoft's Free Audio Converter definitely registers on the "Easy" end of the dial, but it offers enough options to enable you to encode your MP3s in several different formats, including three levels of LAME. A Preset Wizard makes it easy to save your settings for future use. It can access compatible audio files on your hard drive or stored on a CD, but it doesn't rip CD audio.
Free Audio Converter shares a basic interface style and background with DVDVideoSoft's other audio/video freeware, with a colorful abstract design and a minimum of controls. You can add files by clicking Add Files and browsing or by dragging and dropping files directly into Free Audio Converter's main window. A Save To field is easy enough to understand, as is the Quality button, which let us select the type of encoding we wanted, including AAC, APE, FLAC, WMA, WAV, and OGG (MP3, too!). A drop-down list offers further refinement, including not only three levels of LAME quality (Insane, Extreme, and Standard) but also Original Audio and even Audio Book, the CD audio standard. Free Audio Converter uses handy pop-ups to edit tags and file names. Clicking the Magic Wand icon opens the Preset Editor, a handy wizard for saving presets for a variety of different file types and situations. With it, you can create different profiles for your best tunes and your podcasts. Basic options include ATI-based acceleration, interface languages, and a selection of attractive themes that improve on the basic look.
We browsed to our music archive and selected some MP3s, which appeared in the main window in a list we could edit with Up/Down arrows. We made our selections and pressed Convert. Free Audio Converter did its thing quickly, and the finished tunes played normally in our usual player. Free Audio Converter can handle WAVs, which gives it an advantage over similar tools that require external help (such as Winamp) to encode and convert MP3s to WAVs for editing.
Free Audio Converter converts different audio file formats, including MP3, WAV, M4A, AAC, WMA, OGG, FLAC, and APE. Each format is provided with a corresponding profile kit and a preset editor in order to make a personalized preset. So you can create new presets, delete and edit the old ones (change the current parameters). Free Audio Converter goes with both a single and a batch mode support. Supports XP, Vista and Windows 7. Free Audio Converter contains no spyware or adware. It's clearly free and absolutely safe to install and run.
What's new in this version: Version 126.96.36.1994 may include unspecified updates, enhancements, or bug fixes.
More Products to Consider
- Convert CDs to MP3, WMA, WAV, OGG, FLAC formats, convert audio ...
- Create, edit, burn, mount, and encrypt CD, DVD, and BD image fi...
- Get fast and flexible digital-media playback with access to sma...
- Convert audio formats among MP3, WMA, WAV, OGG, APE, ASF, WMV, ...
- Mix, scratch, and remix MP3 or music videos live.
- Play video and audio files, convert to other file formats, burn...
- Delete unwanted parts from audio files.
- Open FLV encoded video files.
- Convert DVD movies to all the popular video or audio formats wi...
- Convert M4A/AAC into MP3/WAV format.
- Create all sorts of CDs, DVDs, and Blu-ray discs.
- Rip audio CDs, convert music, and burn discs easily.
- Create drum or audio loops and play sample files and MIDI instr...
- Convert text into a WAV, MP3, OGG, or WMA audio files.
- Convert videos to iPod MP4 video format.
- Convert text into a WAV, MP3, OGG, or WMA audio files.
- Convert video files to MP4 format (H264, AAC) to playback on iP...
- Cut desired parts from your MP3 files.
- Edit MP3 tags, find covers, and organize your music collection.
- Convert YouTube videos into formats compatible with iPod, PSP, ...
- Tag and organize your MP3 music collection, get cover arts, lyr...
- Copy DVD to iPod, iPhone, 3GP, PSP, Zune, HD TV, AVI, Divx, Xvi...
- Listen to audio files with light and simple audio player from t...
- Track your DVD collection and keep up-to-date.
All versions:3.5 stars
out of 31 votes
Current version:5.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"Basic but nice"
Version: Free Audio Converter 188.8.131.524
wide range of files of convert and very user friendly.
had a little trouble converting I actually had to delete the top song off my list and convert them one at a time for some reason
I did not get any extra downloads with this one you have to realize when you download anything off the internet they are paid to put in adds so you have to not download them and it really annoys me when idiots don't even know internet safety and then bash a perfectly good product because the person doesn't have a brain.
and for anyone who falls under the no brain category here is a how you download from the internet.
1: check and make sure the link you click on is a trusted link and will not redirect you multiple times
2: make sure you are downloading what you expect to download
3: you are allowed to decline in a download you do not have to click accept and for gods sake read the terms and conditions it will say what you are downloading
4: read the installer information before clicking it make sure that is what you expected it to be
5: never do the recommended installation it tells you right off the bat that recommended adds crud and auto likes things on social media networks, instead go with custom and unclick every box once again after you have read the content and decided it is not what you want
6: when you are finally done don't click finish they sometimes add something extra on that last page so just close the installer even if you have to use task manager to use it
7: if all else fails and you end up with a virus or extra programs then delete the program files
8: if that fails restore your computer to an earlier state
9 if that fails factory reset (more likely than not this is all a computer shop will do for you ...150 dollars for something you can do for free
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content