CNET Editors' review
We've tried tons of freeware MP3 converters. They tend to fall somewhere in between Easy Enough for Beginners and Feature-Filled for Experts. DVDVideoSoft's Free Audio Converter definitely registers on the "Easy" end of the dial, but it offers enough options to enable you to encode your MP3s in several different formats, including three levels of LAME. A Preset Wizard makes it easy to save your settings for future use. It can access compatible audio files on your hard drive or stored on a CD, but it doesn't rip CD audio.
Free Audio Converter shares a basic interface style and background with DVDVideoSoft's other audio/video freeware, with a colorful abstract design and a minimum of controls. You can add files by clicking Add Files and browsing or by dragging and dropping files directly into Free Audio Converter's main window. A Save To field is easy enough to understand, as is the Quality button, which let us select the type of encoding we wanted, including AAC, APE, FLAC, WMA, WAV, and OGG (MP3, too!). A drop-down list offers further refinement, including not only three levels of LAME quality (Insane, Extreme, and Standard) but also Original Audio and even Audio Book, the CD audio standard. Free Audio Converter uses handy pop-ups to edit tags and file names. Clicking the Magic Wand icon opens the Preset Editor, a handy wizard for saving presets for a variety of different file types and situations. With it, you can create different profiles for your best tunes and your podcasts. Basic options include ATI-based acceleration, interface languages, and a selection of attractive themes that improve on the basic look.
We browsed to our music archive and selected some MP3s, which appeared in the main window in a list we could edit with Up/Down arrows. We made our selections and pressed Convert. Free Audio Converter did its thing quickly, and the finished tunes played normally in our usual player. Free Audio Converter can handle WAVs, which gives it an advantage over similar tools that require external help (such as Winamp) to encode and convert MP3s to WAVs for editing.
Free Audio Converter converts different audio file formats, including MP3, WAV, M4A, AAC, WMA, OGG, FLAC, and APE. Each format is provided with a corresponding profile kit and a preset editor in order to make a personalized preset. So you can create new presets, delete and edit the old ones (change the current parameters). Free Audio Converter goes with both a single and a batch mode support. Supports XP, Vista and Windows 7. Free Audio Converter contains no spyware or adware. It's clearly free and absolutely safe to install and run.
What's new in this version: - .amr support was added - minor changes
More Products to Consider
- Convert CDs to MP3, WMA, WAV, OGG, FLAC formats, convert audio ...
- Create, edit, burn, mount, and encrypt CD, DVD, and BD image fi...
- Get fast and flexible digital-media playback with access to sma...
- Mix, scratch, and remix MP3 or music videos live.
- Play video and audio files, convert to other file formats, burn...
- Convert DVD movies to all the popular video or audio formats wi...
- Create and process MP3 and WAV files for portable digital playe...
- Rip audio CDs, convert music, and burn discs easily.
- Convert audio formats among MP3, WMA, WAV, OGG, APE, ASF, WMV, ...
- Create or extract music from audio CDs and save them as MP3, OG...
- Burn CD, DVD, and Blu-ray.
- Convert your MP3 files to OGG format.
- Open FLV encoded video files.
- Convert M4A/AAC into MP3/WAV format.
- Convert your MP3 files to popular audio formats.
- Create all sorts of CDs, DVDs, and Blu-ray discs.
- Cut desired parts from your MP3 files.
- Edit, convert, and burn audio files of various formats.
- Convert MIDI files into MP3, OGG, and WAV format in batch mode.
- Delete unwanted parts from audio files.
- Copy DVD to iPod, iPhone, 3GP, PSP, Zune, HD TV, AVI, Divx, Xvi...
- Convert audio files between OGG, MP3, WAV, WMA, and MP2 formats...
- Record, edit, convert, analyze, and restore sound files.
- Convert your digital music into most popular media formats.
All versions:3.6 stars
out of 29 votes
Current version:1.0 stars
out of 2 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-2 of 2
"DANGER WILL ROBINSON!!! imbedded Malware"
Version: Free Audio Converter 220.127.116.112
NONE! Program did not offer MP3 to CD Audio conversion.
SOFTWARE CONTAINS MALWARE/TROJAN DOORWAY
Installing causes ads to appear on the bottom of screen. Opt out, and it simply goes into stealth mode. The download file somehow camouflages the file and fooled my current Norton Security. BAD NEWS!
Even carefully refusing additional software options, the program opens Adpeak - Scorpion, infusing a doorway for other malware/Trojans to infect your computer.
I was in a hurry, and didn't read other's comments; as they say, MY BAD. Cost me lots of frustration and hour stripping links and re-directs out of REGISTRY.
Registry Search: Scorpion, Adpeak, but it may allow Trojan acceptance from other malware sites.
"MALWARE BUNDLE TRASH!!!"
Version: Free Audio Converter 18.104.22.1682
Admittedly, didn't even run the program. See below.
* Installed a Chrome extension, no option to not install it. Auto-hijacked that I was logged into facebook and Auto-liked all sorts of trash.
* Installed an IE extension, no option to not install it.
* Does not create an entry in Control Panel programs to uninstall ANYTHING. You have to run their binaries to uninstall. Given the above, I don't trust them.
* Registered an account with cnet for the sole purpose of writing this up.
* Wouldn't be surprised if I got rootkitted as well.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content