CNET Editors' review
This venerable and free alternative audio player has long been appreciated by hard-core customization enthusiasts, but Foobar2000 isn't just for early adopters or software jukebox fetishists. It doesn't mess with fancy buttons or bright colors, instead preferring a utilitarian, straightforward user interface to let the music speak for itself.
Foobar2000 uses tabs and panels to help the user navigate its plain, but functional, user interface. You can customize the interface using several layout options. Menu options and recognizable command buttons reside at the top of the window. Two panels, each with tabbed menus, reside on the left side of the window. From there, you can view the album list and the properties of a selected artist or song. You'll also find tabs for viewing a spectrogram, a spectrum, and VU meter of music currently being played. The largest panel displays track lists. Using the menu options, we were able to successfully pull music files from a CD, load them into the player, play them without issues, and save them as MP3s or WAVs. You can also display album art, and synchronize with portable players including iPods.
Though we would have liked to have seen a built-in help feature, the program does include a link that takes users to an FAQ page through the publisher's site. Both novice and advanced users will appreciate this program's easy navigation and straightforward style. Although many people might prefer a jukebox that looks more like iTunes, we highly recommend Foobar2000.
From Peter Pawlowski:
Foobar2000 is an advanced audio player for the Windows platform. Some of the basic features include ReplayGain support, low memory footprint, and native support for several popular audio formats.
What's new in this version:
- Generic performance optimizations, mainly affecting very large playlists and libraries.
- Improved configuration save cycle and shutdown performance with very large libraries [beta 3].
- Playlist & Media Library search dialogs no longer block UI when performing lookups.
- Converter: added an option to transfer ReplayGain information to the destination files.
- Spurious/oversized metadata such as whole EAC logs entries are now dropped from foobar2000's cache, f... See all new features
More Products to Consider
- Play video and audio files, convert to other file formats, burn...
- Convert CDs to MP3, WMA, WAV, OGG, FLAC formats, convert audio ...
- Mix, scratch, and remix MP3 or music videos live.
- Create, edit, burn, mount, and encrypt CD, DVD, and BD image fi...
- Convert DVD movies to all the popular video or audio formats wi...
- Rip audio CDs, convert music, and burn discs easily.
- Manage your music and movie libraries on your PC, iPod or iPhon...
- Get fast and flexible digital-media playback with access to sma...
- Convert M4A/AAC into MP3/WAV format.
- Cut desired parts from your MP3 files.
- Copy DVD to iPod, iPhone, 3GP, PSP, Zune, HD TV, AVI, Divx, Xvi...
- Record, edit, convert, analyze, and restore sound files.
- Run a virtual mixing console for MP3, WAV, and Karaoke (MP3+G) ...
- Play and organize a variety of audio and video files, as well a...
- Open FLV encoded video files.
- Edit your digital audio files on your Windows PC.
- Search and download from over 100 million songs.
- Tag and organize your MP3 music collection, get cover arts, lyr...
- Play audio and video files in real-time and streaming modes.
- Play audio files using a player with various features.
- Catalog and manage an entire movie, book, and music collection ...
- Magnify and capture a portion of the screen.
- Listen to your favorite music in better sound quality.
- Play video files of multiple video formats.
All versions:4.2 stars
out of 137 votes
Current version:0 stars Be the first to review this product
My rating:Write review
"Best I've ever found"
Version: Foobar2000 1.2.8
Highly customizable. Take the time to learn how to drive it,you wont be dissapointed
Everything I've tried falls short in one way or another,until I found this. Awesome!! I'd happily pay for this.
"Great when you know hoa to work with it!"
Version: Foobar2000 1.2.5
haha i spend about 15 minutes to search themes for this new foobar player and the results worth it! If you don't want the plain theme foobar player then search for new one its all around the net and got intruction with it how to install
not really recommended for people who just want it to be elegant and beautiful at once when they install it
here if you dont want to search for themes...https://www.google.com.my/search?q=foobar+theme&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&channel=fflb
"Amazing Sound Quality"
Version: Foobar2000 1.2.3
Low on system resources Sound Quality of foobar is really mind blowing.Simple interface.
None so far
Foobar is music player uses low system resources without compromising on sound quality.U can customize foobar with number of skins available on web.Overall highly recommended music player.
"Music player at its best!"
Version: Foobar2000 1.2.2
Highly customizable, including personal layouts and keyboard shortcuts, lots of configurations without being heavy, great sound, folder monitoring is a breeze, a robust media library and a playlist that allows you to view music the way you want, a great music organizer that never attempts automagic things, powerful tag editing capabilities with support for viewing and even embedding album art, event console, DSP, equalizer, a file converter that works like a charm for your personal purposes, and lots, and lots of other things that others have mentioned. Ah! Secure ripping made easy! And of course, music playing is an invitation to life! It's punchy, it's outrageously gorgeous.
With all this, it's free and light! Even a modest system configuration can run it perfectly!
Thank God we have Foobar to please our ears!
Someone should be kind and help Peter on making it cross-platform!
Rate was kept at 3.0 stars because the rate system doesn't seem to work with screen reading software.
Updated on Feb 10, 2013
"I Just Don't See Why All The Good Reviews."
Version: Foobar2000 1.2.1
It's free. Does What it says. Apparently loved by many. It's Fast.
Hard to customize to preference.
Doesn't sound any better than most free media players. (not a con just true)
I really hate this piece of @$#&*^%$!
I don't want to spend an hour or so setting up a media player that when finished looks ugly and doesn't sound all that great. I'm not a novice. I have tried and used literally dozens of free media players in my many years. Some harder to configure and set up than this....but when finished the player was good looking, sounded better and was something I would keep. Not this. I'm Truly disapointed. After reading all the reviews I thought I would have a great media player and instead got Fubared.
"The Best music player around"
Version: Foobar2000 1.1.15
Minimalistic, has a lot of awesome themes, powerful ID3 tagging, great sound quality,highly customizable, open source, FAST, lightweight, great converter.
Right out of the box, it's not so pretty. Looks kind of technical at first. Casual users might get scared by this.
"Fast loading and clear interface"
Version: Foobar2000 1.1.14a
+Very fast,just 1 second loading time!
+Total clear interface
-Not a con but a suggestion : Open folders (right click) in a new tab instead of an existing one.
"Small, fast, free, yet the most powerful"
Version: Foobar2000 1.1.13
FAST. Load in 2 seconds with 80K library
Play DVD Audio, DTS, and AC3 files
bit perfect output to my amplifier
Sound quality. It's just so natural. iTunes is boomy, and WMP is muddy. foobar2000 is just perfect. Clear high, tight bass punch, and balanced mid range.
No Linux, and developer has been blatantly rejected linux port. I've seen people willing to shed $100 for anyone that can port foobar2000 to linux. I am upping the ante for $150. Most people that can't live without foobar anymore are using WINE, but I sense some quality problem when played under WINE. We need native linux foobar2000.
If you think other player powerful, think again. Can they use filter? Can they use wildcard? Can they use tag template? Can they reorganize music based on ID3 tag? custom folder and file name? Search 80,000 files in a flash? Library refresh on the fly? 40M memory footprint while playing FLAC? ASIO support? Steinberg VST? WASAPI support? resampler? Bit converter? downmix-upmix? loadable equalizer? transcoding and converting selective files by filter?Oh, been using this for 9 years now, and the only software that made me buy windows 7. Microsoft should thank foobar2000.
Updated on Jul 16, 2012
"Highly customizable music player."
Version: Foobar2000 1.1.10
Plays many codes and even more if you know how to install extension, very customizable if you can do the same.
Have used it for a almost 2 years now and no problems as of yet.
Except not easily syncing to pmp's
Great free music player that is simply amazing.
"Simply the best of the bests mini players"
Version: Foobar2000 1.1.10
Easy to modify (Well if not installing a skin that is)
Cute when not skinned and when is
None so far and I've been using it for a year