CNET Editors' review
Fences is an app that allows you to organize your desktop icons into categories to un-clutter your workspace. The latest version, Fences 2.0, adds new features to help you get and stay organized even faster.
The interface of the newer version is much like before. The fences look the same - they're clean and blend well, and you can adjust the transparency and color to suit your needs. You'll also still be able to easily sort your files and program icons into multiple fences on your desktop. One of our favorite features, Auto-Organizer, also lets you choose which files will automatically go into the fence you specify--this is handy if you frequently add new files to your computer.
Fences 2.0 also comes with a couple new features, Folder Portals and Desktop Pages. Folder Portals lets you create a fence from any folder and organize the contents on your desktop for quick access. Desktop Pages lets you set up multiple screens, each with their own set of fences, and navigate between them just by clicking and dragging. While we found it fairly easy to set up and use the fences, we liked the user guidance and tutorials so you can make sure you're using Fences to its fullest potential.
Users who are overwhelmed by desktop clutter will like the flexibility of Fences 2.0. The installation is easy and quick and you can try the product free for 30 days to see if it's right for you.
Editors' note: This is a review of the full version of Fences 2. The trial version has limited features.Fences - Arrange icons on your desktop - Download Video Previews:
Fences eliminates desktop clutter with adjustable fenced areas that organizes desktop objects into logical groups for quick access. Over 5 million users around the world rely on Fences every day to keep their PC desktops organized for quick and easy access to their programs and files they use most. The new Fences 2.0 features will now keep frequently used folders visible and organized on the desktop by creating a fence from any folder. Customization options direct Fences to automatically place new icons in designated fenced areas. Additionally, simple double click can hide or unhide all fence groups revealing an unobstructed view of the desktop.
Features: Create shaded areas called "fences" on your desktop in which you can place and organize icons. Folder Portals: View and organize the contents of any folder as a fence on your desktop. Desktop Pages: You can now have multiple pages of "fences" on your desktop. To flip a page, just take your mouse cursor to the edge of your screen and click and drag a new page of "fences" onto your desktop. Double-click blank space on your desktop and all of your icons will fade out. Double-click again and they will return. Define rules for where your icons are placed and how they are arranged. When a new icon gets added, from an installer for instance, it will be automatically added to your preferred "fence". Customize the look and color of your fences.
What's new in this version: Version 2.10:
- Enhanced the desktop pages feature with a skinnable page indicator
- Option for persistent fences across desktop pages
- Added network drive connection detection
- Assorted improvements and bug fixes
More Products to Consider
- Place favorite Web links, program shortcuts, and widgets on a f...
- Customize the look and feel of the Windows user interface.
- Give your Windows 7, XP, or Vista cursor a wide range of effect...
- Customize your Windows XP, Vista, or Windows 7 logon screen.
- Return the Windows 7 style Start menu to Windows 8.
- Get dock with live icon reflections and speed up access to your...
- Bring back the Windows "Start" menu to Windows 8.
- Create multiple alerts which can alert you at a specific moment...
- Enable clock with countdown, reminder, stopwatch, and desktop s...
- Personalize your Windows 8 start and lock screens with your own...
- Set unlimited numbers of alarm clocks on Windows.
- Download and change your desktop wallpaper.
- Keep your favorite apps, control panel, websites, files and fol...
- Enhance your desktop with different widgets.
- Create a unique desktop design using a set of special tools and...
- Capture and print out anything on PC screen via hotkeys.
- Get transparent menus on your desktop.
- Revive your Start Menu in Windows 8.
- Scan your hard drive or local devices to get detailed statistic...
- Integrate intelligent and highly configurable iconbar into your...
- Stick your notes on desktop to read them at any time.
- Create and stick electronic notes on your Windows desktop.
- Customize your wallpapers and screensavers with pictures and vi...
All versions:4.1 stars
out of 1,161 votes
Current version:2.2 stars
out of 4 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-4 of 4
"Wants you to pay after loading"
Version: Fences 2.10
Nice interface. Works well
Nag screens constantly want you to buy the purchased version. Had to go in and disable nag messages in services.
I would give it 5 stars if it didnt nag me to buy the purchased version constantly.
"Do not Update!"
Version: Fences 2.10
Almost the same as the previous version with a few new features.
When I installed the new version I did not realize the free version is now gone. So instead of having the old version that was free I now only have 30 days to use it before I will have to uninstall it. Shame they did not put in a warning before you upgraded.
"When it was free Great, but now not so Great!"
Version: Fences 2.10
When it was free this was a must have program/app for anyone who hated an icon infested desktop! It gives a clean look to any desktop with icons hidden with a simple click of the mouse. Despite now having to pay for it still is very useful to keep the desktop tidy.
Since it has become paid for, it is no longer a must have program/app! It is useful but not must have!
For what was originally a free program/app, this could have easily been used as a hook to get people to buy an upgraded version.
Keep a basic version free, but if people want more capabilities, then charge for it! It works for other software vendors????????
I'm basing my rating on it being useful, as it is no longer a must have
"went from free to paid only"
Version: Fences 2.10
It's still a good program.
They don't tell you that the update is a paid only version and there is no longer a free version. Only load it if you want to pay.
Good program if you need to remove clutter, of course you could just make your own folders. It's not worth it to me to pay for it.