Fast Duplicate File Finder is a free version of a shareware tool. If you've tried duplicate finders before and are still recovering, not to worry: Fast Duplicate File Finder uses advanced algorithms that compare the actual binary content of a wide range of file types, not just name, size, and other attributes that may or may not be accurate indicators of duplicate files. It can search not only for 100 percent duplicates but also for similar files based on a variable level of similarity. As with all duplicate file finders, we recommend checking carefully before you delete anything it finds.
Fast Duplicate File Finder's interface has a familiar layout, with a main window and panels with draggable borders. We clicked Add Folder on the toolbar and selected a folder of digital snapshots, opting to scan subfolders as well. Our selections appeared in the Folders panel, including, surprisingly, the parent folder. We didn't want to scan the parent folder (it's large) so we clicked Remove Folder just below in the Scan options. We selected a 100 percent similar scan, though we also tried the feature that lets you scan for similar files based on a variable percentage of similarity that we selected from a rotary button, a useful feature that takes longer but finds resized and lower-quality copies. We clicked Start Scan, and the program quickly displayed all pairs and groups of duplicates in the main display, including size, directory, and other information, with the duplicates all checked for removal or deletion sorted by date and size of the file. The Preview pane let us see each file for visual verification. We simply checked those files we wanted to remove, unchecked those we didn't, selected a destination folder for the duplicates, and clicked Move Checked Files, though we could just as easily have deleted them. We opened the original and duplicate folders and verified that only duplicates had been moved. Fast Duplicate File Finder also lets users create, save, and return to Projects for regular checks.
The Free version of this program disables some of the Pro version's features, such as the Filters button, and limits some of its capabilities. It did a good job of finding duplicates, though, which is all we were hoping for.
Fast Duplicate File Finder will find all duplicate files in a folder and its sub folders. The application will compare the content of your files so it will find duplicates even if they are using different file names.
It uses fast binary comparison algorithm and has internal preview supporting a lot of image, video, music and text file formats. You can also preview the files in binary mode. After the scan process is finished the program shows you all duplicate files in groups and can automatically mark the older files for deletion. The auto mark algorithm has advanced settings to exclude from auto mark files with user specified extensions, file sizes, file dates and file names. You can also set which folders you want to exclude from the auto mark.
There is an option to protect system files and folders which is recommended to be turned on.
The duplicate remover is a powerful utility for finding duplicate files in a folder and all its sub folders. The duplicate remover has the following features:
- Find duplicate files or find similar files in user specified folders, hard drives, computers or entire networks
- Fast binary comparison algorithm
- Internal preview supporting images, videos, music, text and binary files
- Older or smaller files can be automatically marked for deletion
- Duplicate files can be moved to Recycle Bin, custom folder or deleted permanently
- Support for all kinds of removable media - usb drives, diskettes etc.
- Has intuitive interface and rich documentation
- Process priority settings that will let the application scan in your computers IDLE time
- Protection for system files and folders that will prevent damages to your system files when removing duplicates
- Automatically locate duplicate files in Windows Explorer
- Open file with associated program
- Powerful filter and exclude from auto-check options
- Powerful Quick Check/Uncheck dialog
- Multi-language file system support
What's new in this version:
- In results grid added popup menu item "Remove from List..."
- In results grid added popup menu item "Remove Group from List..."
- Fixed issue deleting large amount of files
- Fixed issue that prevented the program to show results on rotated desktops
- Fixed loading some older project file formats
- Faster and safer way of getting associated file icons