CNET Editors' review
Comodo Internet Security is a free antivirus and PC security solution that combines a number of effective security tools into one easy-to-use package. It's one of the latest challengers to enter the expanding field of free security bundles, with which it shares some important characteristics, such as cloud-based virus scanning and behavior analysis to counter zero-day threats, a sturdy firewall, sandboxing, and anti-spyware -- all controlled from a single access point that takes the guesswork and program-swapping out of the security equation. Each strives to satisfy advanced users and absolute beginners alike. Comodo Internet Security passes all those checkpoints and adds some unique extras, such as the privacy-enhancing Comodo Dragon browser and SecureDNS service that lets you surf safely and maybe faster, too. We've been using Comodo's free firewall app for some time, and it's proved every bit as effective as the better-known free firewalls. It's a major component of Comodo Internet Security.
The program's System Tray icon accesses the configuration files for Internet Security, Firewall Security, and Proactive Security, and four optional Security Level settings: Antivirus, Firewall, Defense, and Sandbox. We'll skip to the chase and state that Comodo Internet Security cleared the bar for all-around security. And, like the standalone firewall, Comodo Internet Security plays well with other security tools, including some large packages. In functionality and performance, it's much like its competitors, all of which share similarities. It scanned our system, updated itself automatically, and sandboxed new apps for checking and approval. Dragon is an excellent Chromium-based browser that integrates with Comodo's SecureDNS service (other browsers do too) to offer enhanced privacy. SecureDNS changed our network settings; we noticed no difference in browsing, though.
When free antivirus programs started offering the same protection and security (and even databases and engines) as premium antivirus software, the big players responded by bundling other security tools, including firewalls, threat isolation, and anti-adware tools designed to protect your PC from a wide range of critical and potential threats. Now Comodo has stepped up its game and upped the level of competition with Comodo Internet Security. It belongs on any short list of free PC security solutions.
Comodo Internet Security 2013 is the free, multi-layered, security application that offers complete protection from viruses, Trojans, worms, buffer overflows, zero-day attacks, spyware and hackers. Built from the ground upwards with your security in mind, Comodo Internet Security combines powerful Antivirus protection, an enterprise class packet filtering firewall, advanced host intrusion prevention, application control and anti-spyware in one supremely powerful application. The latest version sees a major leap forward in security and usability with the addition of cloud based virus-scanning and behavior analysis of unrecognized files - making CIS 2013 unbeatable at detecting zero-day attacks. Under default settings, unknown and untrusted files are automatically scanned by our cloud-based virus scanners then, while the file undergoes behavior analysis on our cloud server, it is run in a sandbox on your local machine so that it cannot modify or affect data on your 'real' system. Put simply, this ground-breaking method of protecting your PC means that only trusted applications are allowed to run on your computer. Malware and untrusted files get nowhere near anything important AND you get to use your computer without interruption from nagging alerts. CIS 2013 also features a friendly graphical user interface; granular configuration options; easily understood and informative alerts; wizard-based detection of trusted zones and much more. Comodo Internet Security delivers enterprise class protection and can be used out of the box - so even the most inexperienced users will not have to deal with complex configuration issues after installation. Comodo Internet Security is available in many different languages and is free for life.
What's new in this version: Version 6.3: While there are 200+ issues addressed, here are a selected few:
- Installer crashes during updates
- "Agree and Install" button is disabled when no options are selected during the update
- 0xc0000018 BSOD error randomly occurring during clean boot on Windows 8.1 x64
- FIXED: 'Restart Computer' window does not appear after changing CIS configuration and further upgrading Windows from 8.0 to 8.1
- FIXED: 'Hardware installation' error window appears ... See all new features
More Products to Consider
- Guard your Windows PC from malware and Internet based attacks.
- Detect and quickly remove malicious threats to your computer.
- Scan and remove the deepest malware that your antivirus/antiSpy...
- Search your hard disk and Registry for threats to your security...
- Protect your PC from various harmful threats.
- Detect and destroy malware and viruses.
- Protect your PC against the latest viruses and spyware.
- Detect and remove spyware, malware, rootkits, trojans, hijacker...
- Protect your computer from viruses and malicious programs.
- Protect your personal computer against virus and spyware attack...
- Keep your PC protected from all Internet threats, never slowing...
- Provide secure, anonymous, and private browsing on Wi-Fi hotspo...
- Protect yourself from online threats while improving your PC's ...
- Employ robust two-way firewall protection to stop hackers, spyw...
- Login everywhere automatically, so you'll never need to remembe...
- Detects malware, privacy issues and registry errors.
- Detect and eliminate viruses, get free protection for home user...
- Removes viruses and malware from your computer.
- Clean up your system and optimize PC performance.
- Protect and recover important files on your PC and remove virus...
- Scan your PC for running viruses and invalid registry entries.
- Provide 5GB of online backup, antivirus, parental control, safe...
- Download and exchange files safely, enjoy games and Web surfing...
- Secure your connection to public Wi-Fi networks with premium VP...
All versions:3.8 stars
out of 2,056 votes
Current version:2.0 stars
out of 2 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-2 of 2
"DO NOT DOWNLOAD THIS!"
Version: Comodo Internet Security 6.3.302093.2976
NONE. This is the worst software ever!
Comodo Internet Security just nearly destroyed my brand new laptop. It froze up my entire system. It took me four hours to fix it and when I finally got it fixed some of my important documents have been erased. I will never download comodo ever again!
"BRINGS A QUAD+CORE TO IT'S KNEES!!!"
Version: Comodo Internet Security 6.3.302093.2976
I really like the interface. They have gone a long way to make this nooB friendly. Sort of a security suite for the rest of us. (although I used to be a techie back in the nineties).
Definitely complete, covers all the bases.
I found this software to have too much stuff going on at the same time. I was overwhelmed with messages to update and scan, it scanned in the background without asking you for an OK, and had other stuff going on in the background as well. I have a quad-core, and EVERYTHING became slow, with an almost permanent hourglass (well, that new round thingie that used to be an hourglass in older versions of windoze). I just wanted to replace the Lavasoft product, that doesn't allow you to schedule the scans, with something offering more control. In the end, I got less control, being overwhelmed with components that run all at the same time. It's as if Comodo tinks that their product is the only valid process on a computer. It shouldn't be! This is the reason why people go to Mac and Linux Mint! Security software should be out of the way, not be disruptive.
And that geekbuddy thing... another process running, that I didn't ask for!
This overwhelms your system, with way too many processes.
The programmers do not make use of the multiple cores in a processor so that this is non-disruptive. Instead, it is extremely disruptive to your work... with all the icons, processes running, various control panels that load... it's crazy! It just asks for so much attention!