CNET Editors' review
Comodo Internet Security is a free antivirus and PC security solution that combines a number of effective security tools into one easy-to-use package. It's one of the latest challengers to enter the expanding field of free security bundles, with which it shares some important characteristics, such as cloud-based virus scanning and behavior analysis to counter zero-day threats, a sturdy firewall, sandboxing, and anti-spyware -- all controlled from a single access point that takes the guesswork and program-swapping out of the security equation. Each strives to satisfy advanced users and absolute beginners alike. Comodo Internet Security passes all those checkpoints and adds some unique extras, such as the privacy-enhancing Comodo Dragon browser and SecureDNS service that lets you surf safely and maybe faster, too. We've been using Comodo's free firewall app for some time, and it's proved every bit as effective as the better-known free firewalls. It's a major component of Comodo Internet Security.
The program's System Tray icon accesses the configuration files for Internet Security, Firewall Security, and Proactive Security, and four optional Security Level settings: Antivirus, Firewall, Defense, and Sandbox. We'll skip to the chase and state that Comodo Internet Security cleared the bar for all-around security. And, like the standalone firewall, Comodo Internet Security plays well with other security tools, including some large packages. In functionality and performance, it's much like its competitors, all of which share similarities. It scanned our system, updated itself automatically, and sandboxed new apps for checking and approval. Dragon is an excellent Chromium-based browser that integrates with Comodo's SecureDNS service (other browsers do too) to offer enhanced privacy. SecureDNS changed our network settings; we noticed no difference in browsing, though.
When free antivirus programs started offering the same protection and security (and even databases and engines) as premium antivirus software, the big players responded by bundling other security tools, including firewalls, threat isolation, and anti-adware tools designed to protect your PC from a wide range of critical and potential threats. Now Comodo has stepped up its game and upped the level of competition with Comodo Internet Security. It belongs on any short list of free PC security solutions.
Comodo Internet Security 7.0 is the free, multi-layered, security application that offers complete protection from viruses, Trojans, worms, buffer overflows, zero-day attacks, spyware and hackers. Built from the ground upwards with your security in mind, Comodo Internet Security combines powerful Antivirus protection, an enterprise class packet filtering firewall, advanced host intrusion prevention, application control and anti-spyware in one supremely powerful application. The latest version sees a major leap forward in security and usability with the addition of cloud based virus-scanning and behavior analysis of unrecognized files - making CIS 7.0 unbeatable at detecting zero-day attacks. Under default settings, unknown and untrusted files are automatically scanned by our cloud-based virus scanners then, while the file undergoes behavior analysis on our cloud server, it is run in a sandbox on your local machine so that it cannot modify or affect data on your 'real' system. Put simply, this ground-breaking method of protecting your PC means that only trusted applications are allowed to run on your computer. Malware and untrusted files get nowhere near anything important AND you get to use your computer without interruption from nagging alerts. CIS 7.0 also features a friendly graphical user interface; granular configuration options; easily understood and informative alerts; wizard-based detection of trusted zones and much more. Comodo Internet Security delivers enterprise class protection and can be used out of the box - so even the most inexperienced users will not have to deal with complex configuration issues after installation. Comodo Internet Security is available in many different languages and is free for life.
What's new in this version: What's new in Comodo Internet Security 7.0
- Website Filtering - COMODO Firewall now inspects URLs and blocks malicious sites while allowing users to define various access rules
- Viruscope - A new dynamic behavior analysis feature that can inspect the real time behaviors of running programs and detect and reverse malicious activities
- Data Protection - New data security feature which makes important files completely invisible to programs running in the sandbox
- Mu... See all new features
More Products to Consider
- Guard your Windows PC from malware and Internet based attacks.
- Detect and quickly remove malicious threats to your computer.
- Scan and remove the deepest malware that your antivirus/antispy...
- Search your hard disk and Registry for threats to your security...
- Protect your PC from various harmful threats.
- Detect and destroy malware and viruses.
- Protect your PC against the latest viruses and spyware.
- Detect and remove spyware, malware, rootkits, trojans, hijacker...
- Protect your computer from viruses and malicious programs.
- Keep your PC protected from all Internet threats, never slowing...
- Protect your personal computer against virus and spyware attack...
- Employ robust two-way firewall protection to stop hackers, spyw...
- Provide secure, anonymous, and private browsing on Wi-Fi hotspo...
- Protect yourself from online threats while improving your PC's ...
- Login everywhere automatically, so you'll never need to remembe...
- Detects malware, privacy issues and registry errors.
- Detect and eliminate viruses, get free protection for home user...
- Removes viruses and malware from your computer.
- Clean up your system and optimize PC performance.
- Protect and recover important files on your PC and remove virus...
- Provide 5GB of online backup, antivirus, parental control, safe...
- Download and exchange files safely, enjoy games and Web surfing...
- Secure your connection to public Wi-Fi networks with premium VP...
- Protect your PC against viruses, trojans, worms, backdoors, spy...
All versions:3.8 stars
out of 2,082 votes
Current version:5.0 stars
out of 3 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-3 of 3
"Like Virtual Machine If OS Version Doesn't Support VM."
Version: Comodo Internet Security 7.0
Some Windows versions, like Windows 7 Home Premium, don't have a group policy editor (for tweaking security beyond firewall) or an ability to support virtual machine (VM) or an ability to use Comodo CIS-type sandbox; this version of Comodo CIS improves things for such OS, and when running ANY browsers in the virtual kiosk it's as if there were a VM/sandbox running...good news for smaller OS. If you don't like Comodo AV as resident antivirus, use one you like and either install just Comodo Firewall and Defense+ (and PrivDog against web ads if you like, it's now offered at install), or choose what Comodo products you want running after installing. New users would do well to read Comodo's user manual.
This version offers a few GUI themes under configuration setting menu for "Themes"; for some reason, only the "Classic" theme seems to give access to a few features enjoyed in prior version. The free version can't be repaired, so if on rare occasion it has incurable errors you have to clean uninstall/reinstall. I found on Windows 7 Home Premium increasing the OS pagefile to 1.5X installed RAM cured random BSOD due to Comodo drivers. That's it for cons.
No one protection actually protects against EVERY possible thing by itself, but Comodo CIS 7 sure does guard against a heck of a lot! I found that even if my router/modem had ports compromised to respond "closed" rather than "stealthed", Comodo CIS was still reporting PC devices as all ports stealthed...giving impression to hackers no device beyond router/modem existed. Again, this is a great suite for ANY, and especially smaller, Windows OS.
Version: Comodo Internet Security 7.0
1. Excellent Detection
2. Tight security
3. Full Featured, and free
4. Have everything like HIPS, Sandbox, Virtual Desktop, game mode, Network Intrusion detection, rating system scans.
5. Have backgroup mode. Using it you can send any comodo task to background and it will take very minimum resource.
6. No advertisement.
7. Very useful for advanced users.
This is not actually a cons. It's kind of a suggestion. Comodo should add profiles and should make a profile for novices. So that when some alert comes they are not freaked out.
Version: Comodo Internet Security 7.0
None for me but maybe for inexperienced users sometime a bit difficulty
I used Avast anti virus for many years. Plus the Comodo firewall. When I experienced that in some benchmarks the Comodo protection is slightly better than Avast I changed completely to Comodo Internet Security Free. Since about six months I use this protection now (= April 2014) and had n0 problems other than from time tot time allow Comodo to do something on my laptops (Win 7 Ultimate and Win 7 Prof).