CNET Editors' review
Dilbert, the technoverse's personal hero, treats other users' USB drives like rats carrying fleas infected with bubonic plague. We sympathize: you don't know where that thing has been and what it might be carrying. The same is true if you carry a USB drive with important (maybe life-saving) data; you may be 100 percent sure your flash drive is virus-free, but can you say the same thing about the PCs you plug it into? No, and that's why you should have ClamWin Portable on your USB drive, CF card, or other high-capacity media. ClamWin Portable is the free, open-source antivirus solution portable-ized by Portable Apps, specialists in mobile freeware goodness.
We extracted the program's zipped download and saved it to a USB 2.0 thumb drive. With virus definitions, ClamWin Portable took up 56.6MB of drive space; once upon a time, that would be a lot, but it barely made a dent in our drive's 8GB of storage. The program downloaded an updated virus definition database as soon as we opened it. The compact main interface is extremely simple; it's essentially a window displaying our system's drives to select for scanning, a toolbar, and Scan and Close buttons. The toolbar accesses Preferences, Updates, and tools for scanning our computer's memory and selected files for viruses. We started with our USB drive by selecting it in the list and pressing Scan. The program displayed full file directories as it scanned; we could stop a scan, too, and save a report when it finished. ClamWin Portable's scans will probably take a bit longer than your main antivirus since it's running from a USB drive, but be sure you let it do its thing. The scan turned up a phishing scam, a spoofed e-mail domain in a year's-old mail archive file we keep around for just such a test. The report indicated the program scanned 1.16GB of data in 6 minutes, 10 seconds and flagged three issues. The memory scan took 1 minute, 26 seconds and flagged no files.
ClamWin Portable obviously isn't meant to be your main antivirus application. It's a precisely targeted tool that lets you apply up-to-date antivirus scanning and protection on the go. With it, you can take the tool to the threat instead of waiting for it to come to you.
ClamWin Portable is the popular ClamWin antivirus packaged as a portable application, so you can take your antivirus with you to scan files on the go. You can place it on your USB flash drive, iPod, portable hard drive or a CD and use it on any computer, without leaving any personal information behind. Features: high detection rates for viruses and spyware, regular virus database updates. ClamAV team regularly updates virus databases to include a new virus/variant immediately after it appears, standalone virus Scanner.
More Products to Consider
- Protect your PC against the latest viruses and spyware.
- Detect and quickly remove malicious threats to your computer.
- Scan and remove the deepest malware that your antivirus/antiSpy...
- Search your hard disk and Registry for threats to your security...
- Protect your PC against viruses.
- Protect your personal computer against virus and spyware attack...
- Protect your computer from viruses and malicious programs.
- Detect and remove spyware, malware, rootkits, trojans, hijacker...
- Protect your PC against viruses, spyware, Trojans, worms, rootk...
- Provide secure, anonymous, and private browsing on Wi-Fi hotspo...
- Compress files and documents on your Windows machine.
- Protect PC from viruses, Trojans, worms, buffer overflows, zero...
- Login everywhere automatically, so you'll never need to remembe...
- Modify locked Microsoft PowerPoint 2007/2010/2013 presentations...
- Store your credentials securely via sophisticated encryption.
- Detect and eliminate viruses, get free protection for home user...
- Clear you screen of dangerous mines with this portable game.
- Secure desktops and lock computers on the network.
- Protect yourself from infected sites.
- Read PDF files with this lightweight PDF viewer.
- Guard your Windows PC from malware and Internet based attacks.
- Mask your E-mail address, phone number, or credit card in Firef...
- Take your Mozilla Sunbird calendar on the go.
- Protect your Windows PC from online threats.
All versions:3.7 stars
out of 23 votes
Current version:3.5 stars
out of 2 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-2 of 2
"Worth every penny"
Version: ClamWin Portable 0.97.8
FREE and finds many results
Very slow and many false positives
"good demand scanner for system check"
Version: ClamWin Portable 0.97.8
-second check demand scanner
-easy to use
-so so detections (not great, but better than many) - good for older malware. good for a second opinion. considering the volume of malware, it's a good idea to use an unobtrusive, friendly scanner to take a looksy.
-incremental updates (do not like when you have to redownload entire virus data base each time like in malwarebytes).
-no tricks, no hidden running processes, no startup entries, no ask tool bar etc.
-scan drives or running processes.
-scan all files, not just `unmodified' ones.
-small program comparatively.
-detection ratings are lower than the big boys of freeware.
-not sure about clean up. but suspect its ok also.
i use this on my i7 desktop and my netbook atom processor. contrary to what some comments suggest, i do not consider this a slow scanner. perhaps if you compare it to scanners that do not rescan files that haven't been modified, it might seem slow in-comparison. however, clamwin scans all the files. it seems to me that clever malware could mask itself as not being modified and avoid a viral scanner. i prefer all files to be scanned (unless i'm doing a quick check). furthermore, some scanners just scan running processes. clamwin can be selected to scan in this way also and is quick at it.