CNET Editors' review
CarrierEditor for Mac lets users with iOS devices change the icon that's displayed for their wireless carrier. The app is easy to use, but unfortunately, it didn't work for us.
We're not ones to really fiddle around much with our iPhone 5's display, so we were a little nervous about trying CarrierEditor for Mac. It ended up being incredibly easy to use, with a wizard-style interface that walked us through each step of the process. We were first instructed to select a new icon to use in place of our phone's existing carrier logo. A quick Google search turned up a suitable-looking skull icon that we thought would be fun to try. We just dragged and dropped the new icon onto CarrierEditor's interface and it created a new IPCC file. We then followed the app's instructions to hold the "Alt" key while clicking the "Restore iPhone" button in iTunes. As promised, we were able to select the new IPCC file, and it appeared to be updating our phone. But then...nothing. We restarted our phone, as CarrierEditor had suggested this might be necessary, but our usual logo was still there. We tried the process several more times, synching and restarting in between, and nothing happened. CarrierEditor doesn't include a Help file, so there was no way to troubleshoot. Although we weren't particularly excited about changing our carrier icon to begin with -- the default logo suits us just fine -- we do think it's a shame that an app that's so well designed and easy to use doesn't actually perform its stated function.
CarrierEditor for Mac installs and uninstalls without issues. It might be worth a try if you really want to change your device's wireless carrier icon, but be prepared for the possibility that it might not work.
CarrierEditor allows you to customize your iOS device's carrier logo to something totally different. This is limited to devices that can support data/phone service, so no WiFi-only devices. Some carriers might not be supported because they do not use images for their logos (e.g. Sprint). The good part is that CarrierEditor works WITHOUT a jailbreak on any firmware, so iPhone 5's and iPad LTE's work. If you do not see your device/carrier within CarrierEditor in the drop down lists, it means that your device is incompatible.
More Products to Consider
- Retrieve lost contacts, photos, SMS from iOS devices with ease.
- Copy Music from iPod, iPhone or iPad to iTunes. Transfer iPhone...
- Preview and recover lost iPhone data from iTunes backup Files o...
- IPhone, iPad, and iPod touch data recovery software.
- Transfer files on iPod, iPhone and iPad.
- Copy music and playlists from an iPod, iPhone or iPad to iTunes...
- Copy iPod to Mac and in iTunes. Rebuild iTunes library from iPo...
- A program that allows users to jailbreak their iPod touch, iPho...
- Transfer songs, movies, photos, eBooks, playlists, contacts, SM...
- Ebook reader & converter for Mac, iPhone & Kindle.
- Displays the artwork of the currently playing iTunes track as w...
- Recover the data from iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch.
- Backup your iDevice SHSH.
- Amarra Hifi is the high resolution music player designed to mak...
- Scan and delete duplicates in iTunes automatically, get album c...
- Extract information from iPhone and iPad backups.
- Enables communications with Arduinos, Xbee, and other serial de...
- Export music from iPhone/iPad/iPod touch to Mac.
- Jailbreak your iOS device running iOS 6.0-6.1.
- Transfer iPod to Mac with iPod Transfer for Mac Software.
- Transfer music, video and photo between iPod/iPhone and Mac, ex...
- Exclusive and professional Mac-based tool to help rescue all yo...
- Browse & search iChat logs.
- Transfer iPad to Mac with iPad to Mac Transfer.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content