CNET Editors' review
The screen-capture video tool Camtasia Studio has long balanced a strong set of features with a friendly interface and graceful learning curve. Version 8 continues the tradition with cool, new features that don't bog down the app with any additional complexity. Camtasia's price--$300--may raise eyebrows, but make no mistake: this screencasting software is serious business. New and advanced users both should be able to learn the software and start producing professionally looking videos in little time.
Robust in-app tutorials introduce Camtasia to users, but experienced editors can wave them aside and dive in. The main interface is arranged logically, with the top-right corner reserved for the vast array of editing and production options: view your clips, manage your video library, or configure settings for zooming, panning, audio, and video transitions, or browse a myriad of including templates, music, and outros offered free by Digital Juice.
Recent versions of Camtasia added features for recording system audio, automatically resizing windows, and a "Smart Focus" option that highlights key video frames and captions. Version 8 adds in smoother, 30fps captures, interactive "Hotspots" on videos, unlimited tracks for multitrack editing, a new TSC2 codec, and "Quizzing," a feature that lets users provide instant feedback on your screecast videos.
Camtasia allows exporting for nearly any sort of device or system: Web, phones, tablets, DVDs, and other mobile devices are all covered. The remarkably useful online help center is icing on the video-editing cake.
TechSmith Camtasia is a reliable screen recording and video editing tool that helps users convey their message conveniently and effectively, from nearly any device. Easily record your screen to capture PowerPoint slides, software demos, webpages, and more. Then enhance your videos by importing existing media or using Camtasia's wide variety of editing tools to create powerful, professional videos. Videos can be shared directly to YouTube, Google Drive, or our free hosting site, Screencast.com for easy viewing.
What's new in this version:
- Made improvements to the Relay plugin
- Updated TSCC codec to fix a crash bug when accessing corrupt input
- Fixed a bug where the playhead advances but the video frame doesn't change
- Fixed a bug where transitions are treated as audio media and can cause attenuation in project audio
- Fixed a bug where indented callout text didn't show as indented in the preview window
- Fixed a bug where MOVs could break project upgrading
More Products to Consider
- Record screen activities and save them as AVI or Macromedia fla...
- Play audio and video files in real-time and streaming modes.
- Play video files of multiple video formats.
- Play virtually any media file in open-source cross-platform mul...
- Broadcast and edit video audio files.
- Play various types of video, audio, movie, music files in Media...
- Record Flash movies directly from your screen.
- Play digital media of various formats including incomplete, par...
- Capture your screen and desktop activities and create your own ...
- Capture or record your computer screen, audio, or Webcam video.
- Convert video and YouTube to AVI, WMV, MP4, FLV, MP3, burn vide...
- Capture desktop screen movements or Webcam video, record voice,...
- Download web video and audio from millions of sites and convert...
- Play audio and video files on the go.
- Edit movies and other video recordings on a Windows PC.
- Build presentations to demonstrate your software features.
- Record video on your screen or with a webcam.
- Capture and save sound and video clips under the AVI format.
- Play 99.9 percent of files with a collection of codecs for Wind...
- Take control of the videos that you enjoy online.
- Create training videos, presentations, and software demonstrati...
- Discover and play online videos, download, save, organize, and ...
- Capture your screen or Webcam images and build them into a Flas...
- Capture high quality video from computer screen.
All versions:3.6 stars
out of 141 votes
Current version:5.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"Works great with almost anything."
Version: Camtasia Studio 220.127.116.111
So far I have been able to record and edit almost anything I needed to. It works perfectly with all but one program I have. I have been able to edit just about any video file. Better than any other editor I have found.
Sometimes it will crash but usually you can recover your work. The only program I cannot record is GTA 4. I have tried EVERYTHING I could find to get it to record it and ended up having to use OBS instead to record GTA 4. Other than that, it works like a charm!
Very few problems and it works well. I have yet to have found anything that works better.