CNET Editors' review
For those looking for a Skype or Yahoo Messenger alternative, Camfrog Video Chat is an option to consider. While we found it easy to use, we ran into a few difficulties trying to join some of its chat rooms.
Camfrog's user interface is clean and simple, although it reminds us a bit too much of Apple's iChat application. Still, it isn't intimidating and has all the primary functions accessible so you won't waste valuable minutes reading the Help files. Just like in Skype or YM, you need to create a contact list first, but the application isn't limited to messaging; it also provides a place to meet people through its long list of video chat rooms. Unfortunately, Camfrog for Mac wasn't at its peak performance during our testing. We wanted to join several video chat rooms, but we got kicked out of some, as the application couldn't recognize our built-in iSight camera.
When compared with the Windows application, we found that Camfrog for Mac has certain limitations. For instance, we couldn't retrieve a contact's profile details by hovering the cursor over the video window. You can access the user's public information by locating him or her using the Locate User feature, which seems a bit Skype-ish.
Camfrog is a good free application for both personal and professional use (due to its videoconferencing feature), providing what you'd expect from the name: easy video chat.Camfrog Video Chat for Mac - Join in multiple video chats all over the world - Download Video Previews:
Camfrog Video Chat allows you to join real streaming video chat rooms where you can hear, see, and chat with many people at a time. Instant message a user to get to know them before you Webcam chat, and add them to your contact list. This videoconferencing software also works behind most firewalls and routers. Camfrog Video Chat allows multi-user videoconferencing where you can join a room with up to 1000 users and just click a user name to begin seeing someone. Press the 'talk' button to talk to the entire room with audio. The video chat rooms are hosted by broadband users who are running the Camfrog Video Chat Room Server software so any user can set up their own multi-user video conference for other users to join. No Webcam is required to see people, but some rooms might not allow users without Webcams. Camfrog Video Chat is optimized for broadband users so it has fast video.
What's new in this version:
- MacOS X 10.8 compatibility.
- Numerous bug fixes.
More Products to Consider
- Use your webcam with multiple apps & add cool graphics & effect...
- Make and receive phone calls and hold cross-platform webcam cha...
- Exchange online messages that appear as soon as they're sent.
- Send free messages and make free calls to other Viber users, on...
- Video chat/calling tool; see up to 6 friends at once.
- Combine video chat and IM into one program with auto translatio...
- Control camera settings from iChat, Skype and other apps.
- View Outlook .msg email and contact files on Mac.
- Export to Facebook directly from iPhoto.
- Google, Skype, Yahoo, MSN, AIM, Jabber, Facebook, SMS, Fax, and...
- Copy to, move to, or open a recently used mailbox.
- Add DSP effects to any Mac application with audio content.
- Access your Infusionsoft data from Apple Mail.
- MSN client with webcam support.
- Auto record Skype phone and video calls.
- Add functionality for Apple Mail signatures.
- Extract words and their frequency, counts words, characters, fr...
- Remind yourself to include e-mail attachments if you forget.
- Instant messaging tool.
- Issue tracker: manage tickets and milestones.
- Find, enjoy and share content.
This download is served from an external siteclose
LEGAL NOTICE: This link will take you to a third-party website. Downloading copyrighted materials without authorization or providing others with copyrighted materials for them to download without authorization may put you at risk for legal action under copyright law in the United States and other countries. CNET discourages the use of software for any unlawful purposeSponsored Products
- Generate short links for Twitter by dragging media to your menu...
- Blast bugs that orbit, hide, dance, and disappear.
- Localized version.
All versions:4.0 stars
out of 6 votes
Current version:5.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content