CNET Editors' review
Quicker than you can turn a page, e-books have gone from a novelty to a publishing mainstay and will soon be the dominant format (perhaps by the time you're reading this). While many book-lovers use handheld e-book devices such as Amazon's Kindle, others read e-books on their tablets or even their smartphones. All you need is a good e-book reader. We tried the 64-bit release of Calibre, the free, open-source reader and library manager. It's a good e-book reader.
Calibre's welcome wizard let us choose from a long list of interface languages. It also prompted us to set up our e-book library by creating a destination folder or browsing to existing e-books. By default, Calibre creates its library folder in your Documents library. Of course, you can change it later, but it's not a bad idea to start with the right folder in the right location, since your e-book collection may grow rapidly when you see what's available for free (or cheap). It's also easy to establish your e-book library on a USB drive, memory card, or external drive. (You can lug your entire library around with you without giving yourself a hernia! Try that with hardbacks.) Next, we set up Calibre to be compatible with our specific e-book gadget. We could choose devices from a list of 15 different manufacturers, including Amazon, Apple, and Barnes & Noble, as well as generic devices such as smartphones and tablets. The setup finished with links to demo videos and an online User Manual. Better yet, Calibre's main interface opens with one free e-book already displayed: "The Calibre Quick-Start Guide." A colorful interface with a familiar layout makes for easy navigation, aided and abetted by icons with easy-to-grasp labels such as Get Books and Fetch News, each with equally clear submenus.
We've got nothing but good things to say about Calibre, whether it's the 32- or 64-bit version. Adding, converting, and removing books, editing metadata, and even sharing our favorite titles all proved to be as easy as a few clicks. If you don't have a favorite e-book reader and library app yet, or even if you do, check out Calibre.Calibre - Manage your eBook library and synchronize it to reader devices - Download Video Previews:
From Kovid Goyal:
Calibre is a program to manage your eBook collection. It acts as an e-library and also allows for format conversion, news feeds to eBook conversion, as well as e-book reader sync features and an integrated e-book viewer. It features library management, format conversion (all major eBook formats), syncing to e-book reader devices, fetching news from the Web and converting it into eBook form, viewing many different e-book formats, and giving you access to your book collection over the internet using just a browser.
What's new in this version:
- An option to add multiple books from inside a ZIP or RAR file. Right click the Add Books button and choose 'Add multiple books from archive'.
- Database backend: Make the database backend more robust when the calibre library is placed on flaky filesystems. Now when an I/O error occurs while writing to the database, the connection to the database is closed and re-opened and the operation is retried.
- DJVU Input: Speedup extraction of text from DJVU f... See all new features
More Products to Consider
- Manage your eBook library and sync to reader devices.
- View, read, and convert EPub e-books.
- Read ebooks on your Windows personal computer.
- Look up words in thesaurus and dictionary from almost any progr...
- Hear the Athan (Azan) automatically five times a day at each pr...
- View your real-time physical position on moving Google Map.
- View satellite pictures, maps, terrain, buildings and other glo...
- Read King James Bible on your PC.
- Manage your eBook library and synchronize to reader devices.
- Discover how to type and improve your typing.
- Learn touch-typing with a program that dynamically adjusts trai...
- Read e-books and other digital books on your computer.
- Get English and Sinhala definitions with technical terms glossa...
- Enhance your electronic reading experience.
- Get an English too Bangla dictionary.
- Get reminders about prayer time.
- Learn touch typing in Hindi and English.
- Exercise your typing fingers with practice lessons and entertai...
- Read the CBR files.
- Read and shelve all your e-books with a universal e-book manage...
- Type in Hindi using iTrans scheme of transliteration.
- Read PDF documents in 3D, convert Word & Excel files to PDF, an...
- Get the e-book reader for your PC.
- Read and handle e-books on your Windows system.
All versions:4.1 stars
out of 216 votes
Current version:4.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"(RH/RS) Vrlo dobar program isplati se skinut ga"
Version: Calibre 1.27
Program je zaista jednostavan za koristenje, rekao bi da je vrijeme ucenja 5min. maksimalno. Sucelje je graficki lijepo uredjeno i podrzava odredjen broj oblika fajlova, zato sam rekao vrlo dobar. Konvertira ih brzo i bez greske. Jos kad uzmemo u obzir da je besplatan, ako ste zaljubljenik u e-books, ovo je program za vas.
Kazem da sadrzava relativno malen proj podrzanih fajlova (EPUB. MOBI, AZW3, FB2, HTMLZ, LIT, LRF, PDB, PDF, PMLZ, RB, RTF, SNB, TCR, TXT, TXTZ I ZIP) Sad ovako izgleda velik broj ali realno, ovi svi oblici fajlova su malo kome potrebni i, barem po mom misljenju rijedje se koriste. Mogli bi dodati jos (CBR, CBZ, SXW, SXC, SXD, DOC, PPT, PPS, XLS, DOCX, PPTX, PPSX, XLSX)
Rekao bih da je zapravo prava steta da nisu dodali jos neki oblik fajla kojeg podrzava program jer je inace zaista odlican.
Ali s obzirom da je besplatan ja mu dajem +4