CNET Editors' review
Calibre provides all the elements you need to organize and manage an e-book collection. With a simple set of tools and a helpful layout, this program is a nice choice for any electronic reading lover.
The program's interface is a snap to understand because of its professionally designed layout and easy-to-use command icons. Calibre lets you open a variety of e-book types and read them. You download your e-books from your desktop or hard drive directly into Calibre. The entire process is so simple that we never felt the need to consult the Help file. You can easily sort your titles by alphabetical order, cover image, or tags. We especially like being able to customize tags and covers, which is handy if the book doesn't come with any. While all these functions worked well, the program didn't feel like an essential utility until we tried out its special features, which elevate Calibre from a mere reader into an e-book manager. The conversion feature converts any e-book's file type with a few clicks, which we like because some handheld readers only accept specific file types. The uploading feature lets you send your e-books directly to one of those handheld readers or other portable device with equal ease. Calibre covered every base, from downloading and cataloging our electronic book collection to putting the words in the palm of our hand.
Calibre is freeware. It installs desktop icons without permission. We loved its simple operation and impressive results, and we recommend this program.Calibre - Manage your eBook library and synchronize it to reader devices - Download Video Previews:
From Kovid Goyal:
Calibre is program to manage your eBook collection. It acts as an e-library and also allows for format conversion, news feeds to eBook conversion, as well as e-book reader sync features and an integrated e-book viewer. It features library management, format conversion (all major eBook formats), syncing to e-book reader devices, fetching news from the Web and converting it into eBook form, viewing many different e-book formats, and giving you access to your book collection over the internet using just a browser.
What's new in this version: Version 0.9.31 fixes incorrect playOrders in the generated toc.ncx when editing the toc in an epub file, this apparently affects FBReader.
More Products to Consider
- Manage your eBook library and sync to reader devices.
- Read ebooks on your Windows personal computer.
- Manage your eBook library and synchronize to reader devices.
- Read e-books and other digital books on your computer.
- Enhance your electronic reading experience.
- Hear the Athan (Azan) automatically five times a day at each pr...
- Look up words in thesaurus and dictionary from almost any progr...
- View, read, and convert EPub eBooks.
- Discover how to type and improve your typing.
- View satellite pictures, maps, terrain, buildings and other glo...
- View your real-time physical position on moving Google Map.
- Get reminders about prayer time.
- Read OCAD map files and print them with this app.
- Read comics and eBooks in PC.
- Allow you to perform a live saving operation on your Windows PC...
- Build and keep track of your family tree.
- Get English and Sinhala definitions with technical terms glossa...
- Build and keep track of your family tree.
- View e-books of various formats and download/buy books from net...
- Create an ebook in 7 steps. Customize your ebook add links to p...
- Analyze 2D images using scientific algorithms.
- Create your own ebooks, personal databases, and documents in a ...
- Read and shelve all your e-books with a universal e-book manage...
- Detect core region of a eukaryotic gene promoter.
All versions:4.1 stars
out of 198 votes
Current version:2.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"Easy to use my @$@$@ CNET Idiot Reviewers"
Version: Calibre 0.9.31
Open opening for the first time, I see there is one book already in library. I click on it. There's text there that says "click to open". I cannot resist. What does that do. Nothing really. Just gives me a bigger picture of the cover. Again...I see the "click to open". I cannot resist. That must do something. NO. IT DOES NOTHING BUT OPEN EXPLORER WINDOW TO SELECT A FILE. WHAT? I AM DONE HERE. IT HAS TAKEN TOO LONG TO DO A SIMPLE F@$@$ TASK AS TO OPEN THE BOOK.
FYI. ANY E-READER THAT DOES NOT OFFER SOME ABILITY TO TAKE NOTES IS DF@$@ WORTHLESS....PERIOD.