CNET Editors' review
BS.Player is a free video and media player that's been around in several versions for some time. It's a capable tool with lots of options and some useful specializations, such as automatically scanning your system for missing codecs and downloading and installing them. It's got some clunkiness, though, and it displays a nag message overlay when you play videos. It's only on the screen for a few seconds (though it seems longer) but all it does is tell you that BS.Player is free for noncommercial use.
BS.Player's installer has several options, including associating supported media files, which we declined. But it also scanned our system and identified a number of necessary and recommended codecs and offered to install them, which we accepted. These are familiar freeware media codecs like Haali Media Splitter. BS.Player splits its interface into two parts: a control panel and a video window. The compact console has the usual controls and displays (title, timer, etc.) plus a right-side menu with expandable controls for configuring and playing Video, DVD, Audio, Radio, and TV. A Menu next to the Minimize button opened an extensive file of commands, options, and features, including FAQs, a wiki, a forum, and updates, but no manual or Help file. You can reskin the console, too. We previewed the available skins but found them like the main theme, a bit garish and with styling cues taken from game controllers.
BS.Player can play just about anything, though that's also true of its principle competitors, which also rival it in options (and beat it soundly in looks). But BS.Player isn't particularly intuitive, either; for instance, when our first video finished playing, we looked around for a way to close the video screen before finally resorting to the menu. An autohiding Exit button on the window or a Close File button on the console would be welcome additions. But, bottom line: a free video player that plasters its so-called freeness over your video in an onscreen message you can't defeat isn't free in our book, or worth our time -- not with so many excellent free media players a click away.
From AB Team:
BS.Player is a Windows based multimedia player that plays all types of media files (AVI/MPG/ASF/WMV/WAV/AVCHD/FLV YouTube videos/MP3) and specializes in video and DivX playback. Main features: display subtitles; support custom subtitles position, color, font, transparency, supported formats: MicroDVD, subviewer, and SubRip. fully skinnable - any shape, transparent skins, resizable movie window, multilingual, drag and drop support, command line support, pan-scan and custom pan-scan option, custom aspect ratios, playlist support, resolution changing, frame capture, AVI files with more than 2 audio streams supported (multi-language), support for OGM files, including more then 2 audio/video tracks, supports embedded subtitles/chapters, external audio file supported, S/PDIF output supported for AC3 files.
What's new in this version: Version 2.66.1075 - fixed memory leak - fxed error message when adding filters in preferences - some other bug fixes
More Products to Consider
- Play video files of multiple video formats.
- Discover and play online videos, download, save, organize, and ...
- Play audio and video files in real-time and streaming modes.
- Play digital media of various formats including incomplete, par...
- Play virtually any media file in open-source cross-platform mul...
- Play various types of video, audio, movie, music files in Media...
- Stream online video to your PC and manage your music and video ...
- Play audio and video files.
- Play and organize a variety of audio and video files, as well a...
- Play CDs and DVDs without the need for the physical CD-ROM and ...
- Play back files in popular audio and video formats on your PC.
- Convert video and YouTube to AVI, WMV, MP4, FLV, MP3, burn vide...
- Change the playback rate of video and audio in Windows Media pl...
- Play audio and video files on the go.
- Play any video and audio file including Youtube clips without t...
- Rescue all lost or missing media files from iPod.
- Play 99.9 percent of files with a collection of codecs for Wind...
- Play any playlist file.
- Play torrent media while it is being downloaded.
- Download and manage torrent files.
This download is served from an external siteclose
LEGAL NOTICE: This link will take you to a third-party website. Downloading copyrighted materials without authorization or providing others with copyrighted materials for them to download without authorization may put you at risk for legal action under copyright law in the United States and other countries. CNET discourages the use of software for any unlawful purposeSponsored Products
- Play popular video formats and basic DVDs.
- Play videos, DVDs, Blu-ray, AVCHD and 3D discs from Windows PC....
- Create, save, and load playlists, play multimedia files.
- Convert your videos, audios, and pictures to preferable file fo...
All versions:3.3 stars
out of 126 votes
Current version:5.0 stars
out of 2 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-2 of 2
"It is very good, i used for many years without problems"
Version: BSPlayer 2.66
It is fully customizable
so far I have no complaints.
"Used it for years now"
Version: BSPlayer 2.66
Simple, sleek, unobtrusive and plays everything.
Can't think of any.
When I first found BS Player I couldn't believe its simplicity. No frills...just play anything you throw at it. I love the quality of the full-screen setting, and also the resizing ability of its standard screen. The EQ for music really tweaks my playback. BS Player is set to handle all of my media files by default...I wouldn't have another media player.