CNET Editors' review
BS.Player is a free video and media player that's been around in several versions for some time. It's a capable tool with lots of options and some useful specializations, such as automatically scanning your system for missing codecs and downloading and installing them. It's got some clunkiness, though, and it displays a nag message overlay when you play videos. It's only on the screen for a few seconds (though it seems longer) but all it does is tell you that BS.Player is free for noncommercial use.
BS.Player's installer has several options, including associating supported media files, which we declined. But it also scanned our system and identified a number of necessary and recommended codecs and offered to install them, which we accepted. These are familiar freeware media codecs like Haali Media Splitter. BS.Player splits its interface into two parts: a control panel and a video window. The compact console has the usual controls and displays (title, timer, etc.) plus a right-side menu with expandable controls for configuring and playing Video, DVD, Audio, Radio, and TV. A Menu next to the Minimize button opened an extensive file of commands, options, and features, including FAQs, a wiki, a forum, and updates, but no manual or Help file. You can reskin the console, too. We previewed the available skins but found them like the main theme, a bit garish and with styling cues taken from game controllers.
BS.Player can play just about anything, though that's also true of its principle competitors, which also rival it in options (and beat it soundly in looks). But BS.Player isn't particularly intuitive, either; for instance, when our first video finished playing, we looked around for a way to close the video screen before finally resorting to the menu. An autohiding Exit button on the window or a Close File button on the console would be welcome additions. But, bottom line: a free video player that plasters its so-called freeness over your video in an onscreen message you can't defeat isn't free in our book, or worth our time -- not with so many excellent free media players a click away.
From AB Team:
BS.Player is a Windows based multimedia player that plays all types of media files (AVI/MPG/ASF/WMV/WAV/AVCHD/FLV YouTube videos/MP3) and specializes in video and DivX playback. Main features: display subtitles; support custom subtitles position, color, font, transparency, supported formats: MicroDVD, subviewer, and SubRip. fully skinnable - any shape, transparent skins, resizable movie window, multilingual, drag and drop support, command line support, pan-scan and custom pan-scan option, custom aspect ratios, playlist support, resolution changing, frame capture, AVI files with more than 2 audio streams supported (multi-language), support for OGM files, including more then 2 audio/video tracks, supports embedded subtitles/chapters, external audio file supported, S/PDIF output supported for AC3 files.
What's new in this version: Version 2.65 fixes bugs.
More Products to Consider
- Play video files of multiple video formats.
- Discover and play online videos, download, save, organize, and ...
- Play audio and video files in real-time and streaming modes.
- Play digital media of various formats with 3D and WiDi support.
- Play virtually any media file in open-source cross-platform mul...
- Convert, edit video and audio files for multimedia devices.
- Play all the most popular video and audio formats.
- Stream online video to your PC and manage your music and video ...
- Convert your videos, audios, and pictures to preferable file fo...
- Play audio and video files.
- Play and organize a variety of audio and video files, as well a...
- Play various types of video, audio, movie, music files in Media...
- Play CDs and DVDs without the need for the physical CD-ROM and ...
- Play back files in popular audio and video formats on your PC.
- Convert video and YouTube to AVI, WMV, MP4, FLV, MP3, burn vide...
- Change the playback rate of video and audio in Windows Media pl...
- Play 99.9 percent of files with a collection of codecs for Wind...
- Rescue all lost or missing media files from iPod.
- Play any playlist file.
- Convert any formats video to iPad, iPhone, AVCHD, Blu-Ray, DVD.
- Play torrent media while it is being downloaded.
- Play popular video formats and basic DVDs.
- Convert your videos to iPod, iPhone, 3GP, PSP, MP4, H264, AVI, ...
- Play videos, DVDs, Blu-ray, and 3D discs from Windows PC.
All versions:3.4 stars
out of 121 votes
Current version:5.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
Version: BSPlayer 2.65
Light footprint, plays all my music and videos
I have used BS Player for a few years now on my PC (XP Pro). It is simplicity itself, which I greatly appreciate...less is more. When I was in programming school the first lesson taught was K.I.S.S., or "keep it simple, stupid!" I like the small display and the screen you can instantly size. It has a great EQ to use with music and simple color adjustments for all your videos. How can free software be this good? Try it, you may never go back to your other media player.