CNET Editors' review
The latest update to Avira Antivirus adds Online Essentials, Avira's Web dashboard, a more approachable, more modern, and more encompassing way to manage security across your devices. While Avira Free Antivirus looks and runs the same as prior versions, the integration of Online Essentials redefines how you scan and protect your computers.
Basic UI: The old tweaks and settings are still there, but you probably messed with them just once a year, and then by accident. Now, Avira directs all management functions to the Online Essentials Web dashboard, greatly simplifying the primary user flow of running scans and managing devices.
Online Essentials: Avira Online Essentials is the new Web dashboard that makes managing Avira on your devices one consistent experience. Your novice friend might have trouble protecting their computer, but with Pilot, they might never have to.
Performance:Avira ranks relatively high on the detection scale, scoring above the industry average in detection of malware from the AV-Test reference sets.
Design: Avira Antivirus's design has started to reflect the Online Essentials dashboard, and the results look great. Design assets and direction, such as icons and avatars, are distinct, bright, fun, and -- most importantly -- consistent. The prominence of the new design will drastically reduce surprises and confusion when you switch between devices.
Subscriptions: Avira automatically signs you up for e-mail notifications by default, so make sure to tweak your account options.
There's a lot to love about what Avira has done to its flagship product. Online Essentials shows that the free and premium versions of Avira's Antivirus line are part of a greater vision of security management. That vision conceives device protection not as task but as a lifestyle, and encourages security management through leaps in improved usability. By combining Free Antivirus with the Online Essentials dashboard, Avira has transformed its app from a PC utility to a cross-platform security solution.
Avira Free Antivirus eliminates many forms of malware including worms, rootkits, and costly dialers. Features include system scanner prevents infection from viruses, worms, and Trojans, blocks new viruses before they run and halts unknown code that looks suspicious, and click, run, and protect no awkward options express installation sets up your security system for you.
What's new in this version: Version 220.127.116.118 may include unspecified updates, enhancements, or bug fixes.
More Products to Consider
- Protect your PC against the latest viruses and spyware.
- Protect your personal computer against virus and spyware attack...
- Protect your computer from viruses and malicious programs.
- Protect your Windows PC from online threats.
- Download and exchange files safely, enjoy games and Web surfing...
- Detect and quickly remove malicious threats to your computer.
- Scan and remove the deepest malware that your antivirus/antispy...
- Protect your PC against viruses, spyware, Trojans, worms, rootk...
- Search your hard disk and Registry for threats to your security...
- Protect your PC from viruses, worms, and Trojans.
- Detect and remove spyware, malware, rootkits, trojans, hijacker...
- Provide secure, anonymous, and private browsing on Wi-Fi hotspo...
- Keep your PC protected from all Internet threats, never slowing...
- Protect your computer against viruses, malware, adware, spyware...
- Provide complete protection against Internet threats.
- Protect yourself from online threats while improving your PC's ...
- Login everywhere automatically, so you'll never need to remembe...
- Protect your PC from various Internet or network-based threats.
- Protect PC from viruses, Trojans, worms, buffer overflows, zero...
- Stop online threats without slowing down your PC.
- Guard your Windows PC from malware and Internet based attacks.
- Combines antivirus and spyware detection methods with proactive...
- Secure your connection to public Wi-Fi networks with premium VP...
- Protect computer against viruses, Trojans, adware, spyware, or ...
All versions:4.0 stars
out of 4,164 votes
Current version:3.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
Version: Avira Free Antivirus 14 18.104.22.1688
-excellent scores in independent testing
-excellent company with solid track record.
-i like a layered security approach. avira doesn't like to be installed with anyone else. it flagged: superAntiSpyware Free Edition portable (a backup scanner), mcafee's siteadvisor extension in my browser, and webroot secureanywhere (which can run parallel to other antivirus companies - it is designed to do this) and refused to install unless i uninstalled them. i uninstalled them and tried to install avira, but got an error. i tried multiple times, redownloading it from source and here, but it would not install. i gave up and moved on. likely something particular to my system (i have other layers of security that were turned off, they must have done something??? - though i had no problems with avg or avast, when i used them, and didn't need to uninstall things).
likely a 5 star for people that don't layer security and want a well rated product.