CNET Editors' review
Although Macs come with some decent audio software such as GarageBand, Audacity goes beyond the Apple-designed app in many ways. The one area it isn't so successful in is its user interface, which can be overwhelming.
As you launch Audacity, you'll be greeted by a pop-up window that leads you to multiple Help files. You'll need these files if you want to use all the great features that the small application has in it. You'll likely be overwhelmed by the number of tools that are available, but you'll get used to them as soon as you start reading the Audacity Wiki. It is available in multiple languages, which we consider a great addition to the software.
Although the interface needs some work to make it more user-friendly, all the basic editing tools are available and visible at first glance. You will need to spend some time playing around with the app before you can master the program, even after reading the Help files, but we found it was worth the time investment. People who hunger for special effects will have a long drop-down list to choose from, and depending on your Mac's performance, the app will apply those filters in no time. We also liked the export options, which are more than GarageBand offers.
Overall, we liked this speedy little app, but novice users might not be willing to spend the time necessary to get up to speed using Audacity. For more-advanced users, we recommend giving this app a try.
From Audacity Developer Team:
Audacity is a free audio editor. You can record sounds, play sounds, import and export WAV, AIFF, and MP3 files, and more. Use it to edit your sounds using Cut, Copy and Paste (with unlimited Undo), mix tracks together, or apply effects to your recordings. It also has a built-in amplitude envelope editor, a customizable spectrogram mode and a frequency analysis window for audio analysis applications. Built-in effects include Bass Boost, Wahwah, and Noise Removal, and it also supports VST plug-in effects.
What's new in this version:
- Shaped dither was corrupted and too loud on all stereo exports except FLAC.
- Keyboard Preferences: some Edit and Align commands for different sub-menus showed the same name.
- Recordings stopped with "Stop and Set Cursor" shortcut could not be undone.
- In locales that use comma for decimal separator:
- Text boxes with slider in Nyquist effects only produced whole numbers when using comma to enter a fractional number. Text boxes wit... See all new features
More Products to Consider
- Play nearly any audio or video file without additional codecs.
- YouTube video player and downloader.
- Convert MPC, APE, WV, FLAC, OGG, WMA, AIFF, WAV and Video to MP...
- Download videos and transfer to mobile devices.
- Mix, scratch and remix MP3s or music videos live.
- Universal, highly tweakable DVD/video ripper and converter.
- Save YouTube and Vimeo videos in MP3 format.
- Switch Mac audio file format converter. Convert between over 40...
- Convert video between popular formats and enjoy an enhanced pla...
- Edit music, voice, and other audio recordings.
- Learn to play an instrument, write music, record a song.
- Manage your music and movie libraries on your Mac, iPod, iPhone...
- Convert WMA, WMV files to MP3 format.
- Simple, straightforward disc burner, with advanced options for ...
- Transfer songs from your iPod back to your computer.
- Create and record audio and data CDs.
- Digital video editing system.
- Music creation and audio production.
- Explore the creative possibilities of mixing with this full-fea...
- Record Audio from any online video or audio stream.
- Edit your digital audio files right from any portable storage d...
- Plugin for use with Ecamm's iCubie USB Webcam.
- Audio encoder for mp3 files.
- Multi-state button generator for web sites & apps.
All versions:3.7 stars
out of 96 votes
Current version:4.5 stars
out of 2 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-2 of 2
"Good for basic audio editing"
Version: Audacity 2.0.5
lost of features that (so far) work
user interface is a little awkward (not as intuitive as Wave Pad), but it is free software
unless you are a high-end audio editor, this should meet your needs.
"Awesome and Free"
Version: Audacity 2.0.5
Would like to rip audio from a video file
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content
See more CNET content tagged: