CNET Editors' review
If you have a large collection of books -- either electronic or hard copies -- it makes sense to organize them so that you can easily find what you're looking for. Alfa Ebooks Manager is a comprehensive database program with plenty of features for maintaining your library. Unfortunately, some of the more-interesting features are limited to the paid version of the program, while others simply don't seem to work.
At first glance, we were impressed with Alfa Ebooks Manager; it comes with several sample books already entered into the database, and renderings of their covers were displayed on an attractive, realistic-looking bookshelf. The Library Explorer view provided options for viewing books by genre, author, tag, location, language, publisher, and a variety of other characteristics. Adding new books was a fairly easy process, but this is where we started to become a little disappointed in Alpha Ebooks Manager. We thought it was great that we could have the program search for author photos and book cover images using Google and insert them automatically into the database, but it turns out that that feature is only available in the paid version of the program. The same is true of the feature that automatically grabs book details from Amazon. What was most distressing, however, was that when we attempted to add images manually, nothing happened -- except a long, nonsensical error message popped up. We never were able to add either author or book images, which is a big drawback in a program that makes such nice use of its graphic display. Alfa Ebooks Manager has pretty thorough documentation available on its Web site, but we didn't need to consult it; it's really quite intuitive. It would be a great program if it actually worked as it was supposed to.
Alfa Ebooks Manager comes as a ZIP file. It installs a desktop icon without asking but uninstalls cleanly.
Alfa Ebooks Manager is the most powerful and easy-to-use book organizer. It is an ideal tool for book-lovers, collectors, students, academicians, schools and business libraries. Alfa Ebooks Manager allows to organize your electronic and/or print books in a single e-Library. You can quickly scan your computer for book files, parse metadata, add covers, tags and custom fields, update book data from Amazon, Google Books and other book sites, customize the look and feel of your e-Library and even view books in 3D. You can find a book in your library in just a second by its title, author or ISBN.
What's new in this version: Version 4.0 features New Design, Book Details pane, DJVU support, 3D View, File Finder.
More Products to Consider
- Download and read Google Books on your desktop.
- View, read, and convert EPub e-books.
- Look up words in thesaurus and dictionary from almost any progr...
- Orgnize eBooks, PDF files, and hardcopy books.
- Hear the Athan (Azan) automatically five times a day at each pr...
- Manage your eBook library and synchronize to reader devices.
- View your real-time physical position on moving Google Map.
- Manage and read book with your own bookshelf.
- View satellite pictures, maps, terrain, buildings and other glo...
- Read King James Bible on your PC.
- Download Google Books to PDF format file.
- Discover how to type and improve your typing.
- Collect GPS data from various GPS trackers simultaneously.
- Evaluate mathematical equations, generate graphs from equations...
- Learn touch-typing with a program that dynamically adjusts trai...
- Manage all aspects of a school's student administrative system.
- Get English and Sinhala definitions with technical terms glossa...
- Search and read the Quran in different languages.
- Catalog your printed books, e-books, and audio books automatica...
- Get an English too Bangla dictionary.
- Convert Kindle Mobi, AZW, PRC books to ePUB format to read Kind...
- Catalog, tag, and search your ebook database with ease.
- Capture text from your screen using optical character recogniti...
- Display Quran in Uthmani script with many options and settings ...
All versions:2.9 stars
out of 13 votes
Current version:4.0 stars
out of 2 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-2 of 2
"No bugs!? Is this comment belonging to the developers?"
Version: Alfa Ebooks Manager 4.0
The only thing that made me buy this thing was related to the fact that you can give it a directory for scan and it will browse inside for every file and the result is an item in the library for each file without making its own directory (unlike Calibre).
Apart from this it only messes up things like searching inside some strange databases with almost no titles to search for. Most of the metadata can be obtained from amazon (at least this can get it right).
For a payed program I guess one wants more (more than in every freeware). The program is full of bugs. I am talking about the pro version. Just to name a few you are very likely to bump into at every start of the program:
1. frequent crash at item deletion: the program crashes 50% of the time when you try to delete an item from the library.
2. Mixes up the covers of the books. Just add a new book and you'll have the new image cover taking over the covers of other books.
3. No way to remove a book from a category in the left pane in case you assign wrongly the category. One has to browse into the book's card to remove the category.
4. One cannot order by name in a category inside of another category.
5. Search for books filter not working to good. If one wants to find a word the search engine would find also the words containing the word your looking for.
6. It lucks an undo option. If you do a mistake canceling one book or any other strange move that you make you cannot recover it.
In case free programs would have featured the search in the folder without making their own structure directories I shouldn't have bought this buggy thing. Unless you don't mind changing directories of 60 + Gb of books you shouldn't consider buying this thing.
There are many other bugs that didn't fit in the cons space but don't bother to search for them in this version (v. 4). Let's hope they would fix some in the succesive version.
"Many features, great appearance, no bugs"
Version: Alfa Ebooks Manager 4.0
All the features I need in Lite version (v. 4)
Easy to search for books, add covers
None so far; can't understand the bad reviews above.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content