CNET Editors' review
We all love freeware, but someone has to pay the bills. That means sponsors who want you to try their products. You can decline optional downloads, but every now and then, unwelcome programs appear. The answer? More freeware, of course! Xplode's AdwCleaner is portable freeware that targets and removes adware, toolbars, browser hijackers, and other potentially unwanted programs (PUPs). It's lightweight and fast, making it ideal for quick, regular preventative maintenance. It's Windows 8-ready, too.
We extracted and ran AdwCleaner on an ordinary Windows 7 PC with typical protection. AdwCleaner's logo-dominated user interface is small and generally easy to figure out. The controls are limited to Search and Delete buttons, though an unobtrusive Help feature in the upper-left corner accesses not only the program's options, which basically let you remove browsers and other items from the scan, but also the developer's site, where you'll find more information about AdwCleaner and PUPs, too. Clicking the Uninstall button completely removes this portable program from your system. That's a great feature if you're disinfecting a computer for a friend or relative since it leaves no traces behind, but it also deletes the executable file, so we suggest simply closing the window when you run AdwCleaner at home. When you're cleaning someone else's PC, simply copy AdwCleaner from your USB drive to the host machine and hit Uninstall when you're done.
We clicked Search, and a progress bar tracked AdwCleaner's scan. The scan finished quickly and turned up a small litter of PUPs whose pedigree AdwCleaner listed in a text file. While none was a serious threat, we were only too happy to send the whole bunch packing. AdwCleaner required a reboot to finish the job, which is usually a good sign, because a reboot is often required to thoroughly purge persistent PUPs, not to mention adware, toolbars, and other unwanted yet hard-to-eradicate software. But before and after we cleaned up after the PUPs, we also ran some similar freeware cleaners. AdwCleaner found things the others missed but also missed some minor items other tools found. That was more than enough reason to add AdwCleaner to our regularly scheduled maintenance.AdwCleaner - Search and remove unwanted adware and toolbars from your PC - Download Video Previews:
AdwCleaner is a free tool that will scan your computer and efficiently removes Adware (ads softwares), PUP/LPI (Potentially Undesirable Program), Toolbars, Hijacker (Hijack of the browser's homepage). It also features anti adware host that will help to prevent advertising software from installing on your machine. It works with a Search and Delete mode. It can be easily uninstalled using the mode "Uninstall".
What's new in this version: Version 3.020 may include unspecified updates, enhancements, or bug fixes.
More Products to Consider
- Detect and quickly remove malicious threats to your computer.
- Search your hard disk and Registry for threats to your security...
- Protect your PC against the latest viruses and spyware.
- Protect your computer from viruses and malicious programs.
- Scan and remove the deepest malware that your antivirus/antispy...
- Provide secure, anonymous, and private browsing on Wi-Fi hotspo...
- Detect and remove spyware, malware, rootkits, trojans, hijacker...
- Login everywhere automatically, so you'll never need to remembe...
- Modify locked Microsoft PowerPoint 2007/2010/2013 presentations...
- Store your credentials securely via sophisticated encryption.
- Detect and eliminate viruses, get free protection for home user...
- Secure desktops and lock computers on the network.
- Protect PC from viruses, Trojans, worms, buffer overflows, zero...
- Protect yourself from infected sites.
- Guard your Windows PC from malware and Internet based attacks.
- Mask your E-mail address, phone number, or credit card in Firef...
- Protect your personal computer against virus and spyware attack...
- Protect your privacy and clean junk files.
- Protect yourself from infected sites.
- Download and exchange files safely, enjoy games and Web surfing...
- Identify and eliminate spyware, keyloggers, and other unwanted ...
- Monitor, filter, and control all computer activities of your ch...
- Remove unwanted toolbars and adwares on PC.
- Create, edit, and manage icons.
All versions:3.8 stars
out of 73 votes
Current version:5.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"Installed,run.Cursor in browser has returned to normal."
Version: AdwCleaner 3.020
Seems to do what it claims.
Took a few minutes, but did complete on the first try without hassle.
since the first tab had nothing to report I took awhile to realize that it had completed it's task
I liked that you could use the check boxes to keep some folders/files
none apparent yet... maybe if the update process is to annoying.
I had been noticed poor browser ( Firefox ) performance. Especially a cursor that was registering incorrectly and stuttering / flickering so badly that it nearly made browsing unbearable.
Also had a reported problem on start up with nengine.dll problem.
Both sorted now.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content