CNET Editors' review
Active@ KillDisk gives you a fast, easy way to delete your files and folders for good if you're getting rid of your hard drive. While it's not as advanced as some other permanent deletion programs, it offers enough bonus features to keep you interested. The professional, welcoming look earns it a few extra points.
Active@ KillDisk lets you take another pass at your deleted files and unallocated disk space to make sure your deleted files stay deleted if someone tries to recover them. The program scans your disk automatically and gives you a hierarchical view of what's on your drive so you know exactly what you're deleting. The free version of the program we tested only gives you one pass, which is nowhere near as secure as the military-grade standards that other permanent erasers give you. The program will push up to those standards if you're willing to pay for it, though. It does let you create a brand new boot disk, which can be handy to have if you're using an unstable machine. It even works in DOS and lets you visualize your disk in its true binary code. Those aren't cosmetic add-ons by any means, but it's up to you if these features make up for the lackluster data security.
Many people who are heavy into security may want something that does more than just one overwrite, which is fair. Active@ KillDisk is a cool program for anyone else who is willing to sacrifice that extra security for a few utility features, though. Even better, it gives you the best of both worlds if you're willing to spend a few bucks.
From LSoft Technologies:
Active@ KillDisk - Hard Drive Eraser is powerful and compact software that allows you to destroy all data on hard and floppy drives completely, excluding any possibility of future recovery of deleted files and folders. It's a hard drive and partition eraser utility. Active@ KillDisk conforms to US Department of Defense clearing and sanitizing standard DoD 5220.22-M. The most secure Gutmann's data destruction method is also implemented. You can be sure that once you clean up with Active@ KillDisk, sensitive information is purged out forever. New Wipe function that wipes out all unused space on existing drives, not touching existing data. We highly recommend you to run this utility for the hard and floppy drives you want to dispose of, recycle, re-use, and sell or donate to somebody.
What's new in this version: Version 7.5 includes three new NIST 800-88 erase methods, new application style, and certificate logo now can be added in JPEG format.
More Products to Consider
- Destroy all data on hard and floppy drives completely.
- Protect your PC against the latest viruses and spyware.
- Remove sensitive data from your hard drive by overwriting it se...
- Protect your computer from viruses and malicious programs.
- Remove files on your disks.
- Detect and quickly remove malicious threats to your computer.
- Scan and remove the deepest malware that your antivirus/antiSpy...
- Remove all your personal data from your computer before selling...
- Prevent deleted files from being restored by someone else.
- Provide secure, anonymous, and private browsing on Wi-Fi hotspo...
- Search your hard disk and Registry for threats to your security...
- Login everywhere automatically, so you'll never need to remembe...
- Modify locked Microsoft PowerPoint 2007/2010/2013 presentations...
- Store your credentials securely via sophisticated encryption.
- Detect and eliminate viruses, get free protection for home user...
- Secure desktops and lock computers on the network.
- Recover lost data, reset Windows passwords, and erase informati...
- Protect PC from viruses, Trojans, worms, buffer overflows, zero...
- Protect yourself from infected sites.
- Determine the condition of your disc drives.
- Guard your Windows PC from malware and Internet based attacks.
- Mask your E-mail address, phone number, or credit card in Firef...
- Prevent recovery of already deleted files and folders.
- Protect yourself from infected sites.
All versions:3.2 stars
out of 146 votes
Current version:1.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
Version: Active@ Kill Disk - Hard Drive Eraser 7.5
Can't see any.
Asked it to "Kill" the hard drive and Error Message 5 says it can't write to certain sectors asks me to ignore it and further error messages ask me to ignore the problem until, apparently, the whole drive was being ignored.
While reporting that it has swept the whole drive my PC remains absolutely unchanged after the experience. It was one new (worthless) program.