CNET Editors' review
Active@ KillDisk gives you a fast, easy way to delete your files and folders for good if you're getting rid of your hard drive. While it's not as advanced as some other permanent deletion programs, it offers enough bonus features to keep you interested. The professional, welcoming look earns it a few extra points.
Active@ KillDisk lets you take another pass at your deleted files and unallocated disk space to make sure your deleted files stay deleted if someone tries to recover them. The program scans your disk automatically and gives you a hierarchical view of what's on your drive so you know exactly what you're deleting. The free version of the program we tested only gives you one pass, which is nowhere near as secure as the military-grade standards that other permanent erasers give you. The program will push up to those standards if you're willing to pay for it, though. It does let you create a brand new boot disk, which can be handy to have if you're using an unstable machine. It even works in DOS and lets you visualize your disk in its true binary code. Those aren't cosmetic add-ons by any means, but it's up to you if these features make up for the lackluster data security.
Many people who are heavy into security may want something that does more than just one overwrite, which is fair. Active@ KillDisk is a cool program for anyone else who is willing to sacrifice that extra security for a few utility features, though. Even better, it gives you the best of both worlds if you're willing to spend a few bucks.
From LSoft Technologies:
Active@ KillDisk - Hard Drive Eraser is powerful and compact software that allows you to destroy all data on hard and floppy drives completely, excluding any possibility of future recovery of deleted files and folders. It's a hard drive and partition eraser utility. Active@ KillDisk conforms to US Department of Defense clearing and sanitizing standard DoD 5220.22-M. The most secure Gutmann's data destruction method is also implemented. You can be sure that once you clean up with Active@ KillDisk, sensitive information is purged out forever. New Wipe function that wipes out all unused space on existing drives, not touching existing data. We highly recommend you to run this utility for the hard and floppy drives you want to dispose of, recycle, re-use, and sell or donate to somebody.
What's new in this version:
- Added 64-bit executable to perform faster on x64 platforms.
- Latest Boot Disk Creator, including localization & memory testing options.
- Added log export option to XML format.
- Added return (exit) codes for executable running from command prompt.
- Added command line switch (-ns) to block user interaction while erase is in progress
More Products to Consider
- Destroy all data on hard and floppy drives completely.
- Protect your PC against the latest viruses and spyware.
- Remove sensitive data from your hard drive by overwriting it se...
- Remove files on your disks.
- Protect your computer from viruses and malicious programs.
- Detect and quickly remove malicious threats to your computer.
- Scan and remove the deepest malware that your antivirus/antispy...
- Prevent deleted files from being restored by someone else.
- Provide secure, anonymous, and private browsing on Wi-Fi hotspo...
- Search your hard disk and Registry for threats to your security...
- Login everywhere automatically, so you'll never need to remembe...
- Modify locked Microsoft PowerPoint 2007/2010/2013 presentations...
- Remove all your personal data from your computer before selling...
- Store your credentials securely via sophisticated encryption.
- Detect and eliminate viruses, get free protection for home user...
- Secure desktops and lock computers on the network.
- Recover lost data, reset Windows passwords, and erase informati...
- Protect PC from viruses, Trojans, worms, buffer overflows, zero...
- Protect yourself from infected sites.
- Determine the condition of your disc drives.
- Guard your Windows PC from malware and Internet based attacks.
- Create disposable email addresses, phone numbers, and credit ca...
- Prevent recovery of already deleted files and folders.
- Ensure the security of personal, confidential, or proprietary i...
All versions:3.2 stars
out of 148 votes
Current version:2.5 stars
out of 2 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-2 of 2
"The free version works fine for basic disc scrubbing."
Version: Active@ Kill Disk - Hard Drive Eraser 8
Easy to use; erased a 500GB hard drive in about an hour.
Free version only writes zeros, not random characters. The paid version is a little expensive.
"waste of time"
Version: Active@ Kill Disk - Hard Drive Eraser 8
none at all ,,,,
there isnt any point even trying this software ,it only allows you to use a single pass wipe , so you may aswell just dump your files in the waste bin