If all you want to do is to chat with your Facebook friends, Facebook's Messenger app can feel a bit oppressive, inviting you to play games, send money to friends, interact with chatbots, read news -- anything but chat. With Messenger Lite for Android, Facebook strips that all away, putting the focus on chatting with with family and friends.
Easy-to-use interface: Compared to Messenger's cramped interface, the Lite version feels open. Tap the Home tab to view your chats, tap the Contacts tab to view friends; and tap Profile to handle notifications and other housekeeping tasks. That's it. Everything else that the full Messenger offers -- games, bots, news -- is gone.
Just chats: Chat with Facebook contacts, either one-on-one or in groups.
Express yourself: In addition to text messages, you can take and send photos, share videos and links, record a voice message, and add stickers or like a chat.
Doesn't handle encrypted messages: Unlike Messenger, Lite doesn't give you the option to send and receive end-to-end encrypted messages. If you are looking for secure messaging, stick with Messenger or check out another encrypted messaging app, such as Signal Private Messenger.
Originally intended for global markets whose networks couldn't handle the bulk of Messenger, the Lite version of Facebook's app offers a slimmed down messaging app focused chat. If you like everything about Messenger, Lite is not for you. But if you want a lightweight chat app, Lite is it.
A fast and data-efficient messaging app to reach the people in your life.
- Installs quickly. It's less than 10MB to download!
- Saves data. It loads fast, runs efficiently and uses less mobile data.
- Works everywhere. Reach people when you're in an area with a slow or unstable internet connection.
- Highly compatible. Runs on Android phones version 2.3 (Gingerbread) or higher.
With Messenger Lite, you can:
- Contact anyone on Messenger, Facebook or Facebook Lite.
- See when people are active and available to chat.
- Message people one-on-one or in groups to catch up or make plans.
- Send photos, links, or express yourself with stickers.
- Make one-on-one voice and video calls for free over Wi-Fi (otherwise standard data charges apply). Talk as long as you want, even with people in other countries!