Featuring a comprehensive word database, the Merriam-Webster Dictionary searches words not only by text, but also by voice. It comes up with all the essential information you need for quick reference, including definitions, examples, word origins, and synonyms.
Favorites: This new feature introduced in this version allows you to store words you like for later use. You can quickly access the Favorites page, either from the favorites menu or by swiping left or right in the main results page.
Offline operation: When on the move, we were delighted with Merriam-Webster's offline functionality. We said goodbye to the tiresome search for a Wi-Fi connection and just got on with our work.
Poor in features: We find Merriam-Webster to be poor in features relative to its competitors. Results are limited to only basic word definitions and a small number of synonyms, and include absolutely no reference to idioms and geographical variations.
Upgrade trap: The removal of ads at the bottom of the screen is the only benefit of paying to upgrade from the free version that we tested. However, the app is usable even with the ads.
Merriam-Webster Dictionary works well online as well as offline, but the developer's desire to keep the size of locally stored data to a minimum has limited the diversity of search results and the number of available features. In the end, we recommend this dictionary if you work in areas where Internet accessibility may be a problem, but otherwise we suggest you look at dictionary apps with more features.
New definition format with clear layout of information.
New updated definitions.
New WOTD format for clear, quick access to our archive.
Get America's most useful and respected dictionary, optimized for your Android device. This is the best Android app for English language reference, education, and vocabulary building.
And now we've added new word games! It's never been more fun to learn new words and test your vocabulary for everyone from English learners to total word nerds. Hundreds of words to test your skills.
The app is free, and supported by ads.
No internet connection is required to view the definitions or thesaurus (although you do need a connection to view illustrations, hear audio pronunciations, and use voice search).
* New Vocabulary-Building Quizzes: fun, fast quizzes to learn new words or test your vocabulary
* Voice Search: look up a word without having to spell it
* Word of the Day: learn a new word every day.
* Integrated Thesaurus: synonyms & antonyms are included with the dictionary
* Example Sentences: understand how a word is used in context
* Quick Definitions: perfect for on-the-go lookups
* Audio Pronunciations: voiced by real English speakers, not text-to-speech robots
* Favorite Words and Search History: Keep track of the words that are most important to you
* For tablets: Scrolling Index - lets you browse the entire dictionary