CNET Editors' review
The financial software market is so competitive that there's really no reason to settle for a mediocre program; there are plenty of great ones to choose from. Unfortunately, jGnash falls into that group of programs that just don't cut it. Although the program works, there are many things about it that turned us off.
We got off on the wrong foot with jGnash immediately; it took an extremely long time to load, and once it was up and running, it had a huge negative impact on our system's performance. Our litmus test for personal finances software is whether or not we can import transactions from our bank; there's no reason in this day and age to have to enter transactions manually. Although jGnash does let users import OFX, QFX, QIF, and MT940 files, it doesn't support CSV or XML files, two very common formats that are the only ones supported by our bank. The program's interface is plain and easy enough to navigate, but it's hard to tell at a glance whether a transaction is a deposit or debit; the transactions are neither color-coded nor separated into different columns. The program does come with a decent Help file that contains plenty of screenshots, which is always a good thing, but the program isn't difficult to use because of its complexity. Rather, jGnash is difficult to use simply because it's clunky and not particularly user-friendly. If it were the last personal finance program on Earth it would be OK, but there are many better program to choose from.
jGnash comes as a ZIP file and is accessible after extraction with no need for installation. We recommend this program with reservations.
jGnash is a free personal finance manager with many of the same features as commercially-available software. jGnash was created in order to make tracking your personal finances easy, but also provides the functionality required by advanced users.
More Products to Consider
- Create printable calendars with saved activities in Microsoft W...
- Take notes and stick them to your desktop.
- Manage your email, time and calendar.
- Create Post-it notes, bookmark Web sites, send/receive notes, s...
- Split and merge PDF documents.
- Handle aspects of your financial affairs.
- Create and manage various events and to-do list on your desktop...
- Plan and manage the finances of your restaurant.
- Schedule, plan, and remind yourself of important events.
- Organize and manage your personal finances.
- Organize your life, manage contacts, create to do list, and be ...
- Plan, track, and manage your projects.
- Create amortization schedule in Excel for fixed-rate loan.
- Track your personal time and manage projects.
- Record, monitor, and manage your financial budget.
- Build, save, share, and print arbitrary mind maps.
- Manage your personal finances.
- Catch up with your daily events and meeting schedules.
- Manage and track your help desk calls.
- Transfer content between Android, iPhone, and Symbian phones.
- Manage your business or personal contacts easily.
- Manage personal finances, reduce wasteful spending, increase sa...
- Create and organize sticky notes and reminders on your desktop.
- Manage and secure passwords, account numbers, and sensitive per...
All versions:2.0 stars
out of 3 votes
Current version:0 stars Be the first to review this product
My rating:Write review
Results 1-3 of 3
"Waste of time"
Version: jGnash 2.6
Easy to install
Poor documentation - the help is sparse, and only points out what you already can see.
No explanations when it does something - no popup messages or anything.
Status line progress has no explanation. Progress of what?
Steps in wizards are poorly explained
Manual only - import doesn't import anything
The same OFX import from my bank, that works in Skrooge, KMyMoney, and Grisbi, doesn't work in jGnash.
"could not open program after set-up accounts"
Version: jGnash 1.11.6
great appearance. Extremely useful tools if you have an accounting background.
could not open program after setting-up accounts and entering transactions
great idea, poor execution
"Easy, good, customizable !"
Version: jGnash 1.11.6