CNET Editors' review
The financial software market is so competitive that there's really no reason to settle for a mediocre program; there are plenty of great ones to choose from. Unfortunately, jGnash falls into that group of programs that just don't cut it. Although the program works, there are many things about it that turned us off.
We got off on the wrong foot with jGnash immediately; it took an extremely long time to load, and once it was up and running, it had a huge negative impact on our system's performance. Our litmus test for personal finances software is whether or not we can import transactions from our bank; there's no reason in this day and age to have to enter transactions manually. Although jGnash does let users import OFX, QFX, QIF, and MT940 files, it doesn't support CSV or XML files, two very common formats that are the only ones supported by our bank. The program's interface is plain and easy enough to navigate, but it's hard to tell at a glance whether a transaction is a deposit or debit; the transactions are neither color-coded nor separated into different columns. The program does come with a decent Help file that contains plenty of screenshots, which is always a good thing, but the program isn't difficult to use because of its complexity. Rather, jGnash is difficult to use simply because it's clunky and not particularly user-friendly. If it were the last personal finance program on Earth it would be OK, but there are many better program to choose from.
jGnash comes as a ZIP file and is accessible after extraction with no need for installation. We recommend this program with reservations.
jGnash is a free personal finance manager with many of the same features as commercially-available software. jGnash was created in order to make tracking your personal finances easy, but also provides the functionality required by advanced users.
More Products to Consider
- Create printable calendars with saved activities in MS Word and...
- Take notes and stick them to your desktop.
- Manage your email, time and calendar.
- Create Post-it notes, bookmark websites, send/receive notes, se...
- Split and merge PDF documents.
- Create and manage various events and to-do list on your desktop...
- Schedule, plan, and remind yourself of important events.
- Organize tasks, task lists, notes, and reminders in hierarchica...
- Organize your time with proactive time tracker working like a p...
- Organize your life, manage contacts, create to do list, and be ...
- Schedule and manage employees, customers, rooms, and equipment ...
- Create amortization schedule in Excel for fixed-rate loan.
- Calculate the annual percent rate on your loan.
- Build, save, share, and print arbitrary mind maps.
- Create sticky notes on your desktop.
- Play lotto generating random numbers.
- Create and manage personal todo list and shared task list for y...
- Catch up with your daily events and meeting schedules.
- Clean out your registry and boost your PC performance.
- Track your important events and get reminders of them.
- Show detailed characteristics and features of people born with ...
- Transfer content between Android, iPhone, and Symbian phones.
- Schedule programs, scripts, and other tasks to start automatica...
- Detect and remove spyware and adware from your computer.
All versions:2.0 stars
out of 3 votes
Current version:0 stars Be the first to review this product
My rating:Write review
Results 1-3 of 3
"Waste of time"
Version: jGnash 2.6
Easy to install
Poor documentation - the help is sparse, and only points out what you already can see.
No explanations when it does something - no popup messages or anything.
Status line progress has no explanation. Progress of what?
Steps in wizards are poorly explained
Manual only - import doesn't import anything
The same OFX import from my bank, that works in Skrooge, KMyMoney, and Grisbi, doesn't work in jGnash.
"could not open program after set-up accounts"
Version: jGnash 1.11.6
great appearance. Extremely useful tools if you have an accounting background.
could not open program after setting-up accounts and entering transactions
great idea, poor execution
"Easy, good, customizable !"
Version: jGnash 1.11.6