CNET Editors' review
InSpeak - The Voice Chat Communicator is the freeware version of inSpeak's premium chat app. It's got a lot going for it, including good audio quality for voice communications, decent security, and an emphasis on customer support, even for free members. The freeware also offers other features from the paid nickname version, though with some limitations. For example, you can view up to six Webcams, use handwriting in messages, add up to 1,000 contacts, display a colorful icon, customize your space, create rooms, and more. It helps to have someone to chat with, though, and inSpeak has fewer members than other communities. You'll need a microphone to use inSpeak's voice chat.
As with most chat apps, we had to register to use inSpeak, including creating a nickname and providing various user details. You must provide a valid e-mail address to activate inSpeak and receive a password, though you can (and should) update your account with a new, secure, and memorable password. Once we'd logged on, inSpeak displayed its compact chat interface as well as the inSpeak Notifier, which offered startup guides as well as access to the Options on the Tools menu, and a helpful Welcome screen. Speaking of options, inSpeak's got 'em: the Options sheet has no fewer than 17 tabs, from General Settings to System Information, and they configure everything from Chat Preferences to the Auto Greeter. Anyone who has used a full-featured chat bundle will find much familiar about inSpeak, both in setting it up and using it. We clicked Audio Setup and used the simple Audio Test feature to verify our system's sound settings, which we could open directly from inSpeak's Options, a helpful touch. The Video Setup tab let us configure our Webcam, including an option to change our inSpeak status from Available to Away when our Webcam is active, preserving privacy by preventing unwarranted underwear exposure (we're just saying).
Other inSpeak members' experiences mirrored ours: the free app and services have a lot to offer, they just wish it included someone to talk to. But anyone looking for an alternative to some big chat apps (with some big chat app issues) certainly ought to check out inSpeak.
From Global Unicom:
With inSpeak - the Voice Chat communicator communicate privately and securely. Send instant messages online and offline, chat one to one with friends and family using voice and video, send and resume the transfer of files and pictures, Meet new friends in text, voice and video moderated rooms, watch TV, movies and chat in multimedia show rooms, learn, search and study in educational rooms, create and administrate your own chat voice rooms, subscribe and get attractive colorful nicknames, customize your room banner and web site to promote your business, and express yourself through amazing icons, winkies, and skins.
More Products to Consider
- Communicate instantly with your friends using avatars, PC-to-PC...
- Connect your Nokia phone to PC to sync data, download software,...
- Communicate privately and securely.
- See and hear the people with whom you are chatting.
- Join live video chat rooms from all around the world.
- Join over 4 million members in over 5000+ video chat rooms.
- Talk with friends and family for free over the Internet.
- Chat with other people and participate in group discussions.
- Add a virtual webcam with various video effects to your video c...
- Add dynamic effects to your video from HD Webcams.
- Hold video conferences, realize live broadcasting, and fulfil o...
- Add live Webcam effects to your videos and photos.
- Chat via voice and video while playing the Spades game.
- Make PC-to-PC calls to your friends over the Internet.
- Manage your e-mails, calendars, and contacts and sync with Gmai...
- Convert video and audio files into iPod-compatible formats.
- Search for online events and entertainment.
- Recover your email messages, contacts, tasks, and notes.
- Send and receive messages, information, and videos in real time...
- Extract e-mails from IncrediMail .imm files and save them to mu...
- Share big files & movies with your friends in minutes.
This download is served from an external siteclose
LEGAL NOTICE: This link will take you to a third-party website. Downloading copyrighted materials without authorization or providing others with copyrighted materials for them to download without authorization may put you at risk for legal action under copyright law in the United States and other countries. CNET discourages the use of software for any unlawful purposeSponsored Products
- Import .EML and .MSG files into MS Outlook preserving folder st...
- Talk with anyone using MSN Messenger voice chat or video chat.
- Chat with your friends from your desktop.
All versions:3.9 stars
out of 19 votes
Current version:1.0 stars
out of 1 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-1 of 1
"Will not connect to internet"
Version: inSpeak - the Voice Chat communicator 184.108.40.2062
1. Program will not connect to internet. It shows it trying but just keeps spinning.
2. I tried to contact their support. The only option is "live" support. They must be dead because no one responds. There is no troubleshooting page, no forum, no email help. Very poor support.
I was hoping this would be a good alternative to Skype, which I do not like or Google+, which is very slow, or fb, which is not up to par.