CNET Editors' review
Accurately estimating construction costs is the key to preparing bids that win contracts without bankrupting the contractor. Misronet's e-STM8 Construction Estimating Software is a useful tool for estimating job costs and submitting winning bids, but it can also manage jobs, material costs, and subcontracting. It's suitable for both the U.S. and international construction markets, too.
The efficient interface is typical of Windows utilities: File menu, icon-based toolbars, left-hand tree view for navigation and selecting functions, and a main display window subdivided into smaller windows, entry fields, and other features as needed. A Help menu and useful examples explain how to use e-STM8, and the software's functions are clearly labeled and fairly self-explanatory. For instance, clicking the Labor tab called up a list of common construction jobs and fields for entering hours, rates, expenses, and other factors, which e-STM8 automatically totals. Other tabs contain fields for Plant, Materials, and Subcontractors. It's especially handy to be able to automatically and accurately summarize and estimate diverse costs like equipment rental, depreciation, and maintenance. A nice extra is the ability to prepare documents like reports and letters. The developer's Web site offers a lot of specialized advice on controlling construction costs, too.
Though professionals will get the most from e-STM8 Construction, it's also useful for homeowners or anyone who needs to track construction costs. Its potential to save costs on just one job would make it worth the price of professional software, but at less than $40, it's a drop in the mud bucket for the smallest construction job.
Editors' note: This is a review of the full version of eSTM8 Construction Estimating Software 2.2.1. The trial version is limited to 15 days only.
e-STM8 Construction estimating software is aimed at helping Contractors prepare detailed, profitable offers for construction projects and manage the associated job cost as well as costs pertaining to subcontractors. e-STM8 offers basic and advanced estimating features which allow the accurate building of an estimate as well as a follow up. The software enables the Estimator to set the default labor rates, plant rental cost and Material purchase prices. e-STM8 is most suitable for Ad-measurement contract tendering where a Bill of quantities is provided by Owner and Contractors are required to price and submit their offers. e-STM8 version 4.0 now provided an additional feature that is an Invoicing Platform, where contractors can prepare their progress payment applications in the Standard Style set by the American Institute of Architects
What's new in this version: Version 5.0 includes the following improvements:
- Enhanced user interface
- Easier registration process
More Products to Consider
- View, navigate, and print PDF files.
- Create and share content with the help of a comprehensive set o...
- Take an open-source approach to office productivity.
- Convert Adobe PDF file to MS Word file format.
- Open, edit, and save files using the new file formats in 2007 v...
- Create, manage, and collaborate with others on presentations.
- Create fast and accurate construction cost estimates covering a...
- Convert PDF files to Microsoft Word format.
- Keep track of how you use your PC.
- Create, view, edit and share word, spreadsheet and presentation...
- Develop your own custom solutions visualizing various data.
- Convert JPG, BMP, TIFF, PNG images to PDF files.
- Create, encrypt, and merge PDF files.
- Render PDF files within applications that support the print fun...
- View and print PowerPoint presentations.
- Convert your PDF files into various image formats.
- Create construction estimates using any or all of Craftsman Boo...
- Enable Help Desks to quickly 'broadcast' status messages to mul...
- Software emulator of Yamaha CS-80 synthesizer.
- Get over 1,800 XP icons in different formats for Web sites and ...
- Provide an estimating solutions for residential, commercial and...
- Track all information about opportunities accurately and quickl...
- Recognize text from images using the open source Tesseract OCR ...
- Profitability projection software.
All versions:1.0 stars
out of 4 votes
Current version:0 stars Be the first to review this product
My rating:Write review
Results 1-4 of 4
Version: eSTM8 Construction Estimating Software 3.4
None - it doesn't work and tries to make you pay for license before starting trial
Program doesn't work at all. It looked ok from the screenshots but once I got in it tried to trick me into buying a license, then I got 1000 error messages and it locked up my computer. DOESNT WORK
DOESNT WORK do not download!
"Wast of Money Agreed!"
Version: eSTM8 Construction Estimating Software 3.3
Program "looks" promising from the screenshots and demo that does not work.
Weak database features. Crawling with bugs. Poor technical support... very poor!
I agree, excel will do much than this program ever can. It had potential, but all the annoying bugs and weak database features rule it pretty obsolete. I am realizing that a good estimating software program will run you over $1000.
"Waste of Money"
Version: eSTM8 Construction Estimating Software 3.3
Does not list stuff in alphabetical order so you have to search your entire list to find stuff.
Does not allow for material mark-ups. have to do it manually when you build your list.
This program is pretty bare bones. I could estimate projects just as fast using a pencil and paper and a calculator. This software offers no benefit that I can see. A spreadsheet would have more useability. I clearly wasted $40 on this.
"Not Good at All!"
Version: eSTM8 Construction Estimating Software 2.2.1
Don't know because I could not get the program to work.
Very misleading.......makes you buy the licence before you can try the trial version......not really a free trial version.
I was excited until an annoying pop-up appeared and would not go away until I purchased the full version.....well that didn't happen (the purchase) I thought I was downloading a FREE trial version....that's what I call the old "Bate and Switch".
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content
See more CNET content tagged: