CNET Editors' review
In today's business environment, employees, contractors, and consultants all figure into projects, and knowing who did what and when is critical to making sure everyone gets paid. Web-based software has several advantages for tracking time spent on projects, such as centralized storage of all data and universal access to project tools and schedules; all you need is a Web browser, some client software, and a username and password to work wherever you are. TE-CON's eHour is a free Web-based time-tracking application with the objective of making it as easy as possible for your employees to track time spent on various projects and job functions without sacrificing reliability, accuracy, and security. You'll need Java and a browser to use eHour.
We installed eHour and logged in at the program's Web site using the default user ID and password. Configuring eHour begins with choosing what day the week begins with; your country, language, and currency; your e-mail server; and other data, including which actions to audit (log). If you don't want eHour to enforce language, select "Don't Force" to allow other languages in local installations. Two simple menus access all of eHour's features: Manage, including Departments, Users, Customers, and other work-related data; and System, which accesses the Configuration wizard, the Audit report feature, and Backup & Restore. Simple wizards walked us through each step. The program offers three main User Roles: Administrator, User, and Reporting, with different access levels. The admin role is the key to enabling all other users to access eHour's features. The Java-based interface and tools are clean, crisp, and nicely rendered, with customizable calendars and reports. Plenty of assistance is available, too, though eHour explains each step clearly and in detail.
Web-based time tracking just makes sense. So does freeware. And, thus, eHour. A note about running eHour in 64-bit Windows editions: A separate download is available for 64-bit Windows, but it requires a 64-bit Java Runtime Environment. Users with 64-bit Windows systems may get better results running the 32-bit version of eHour with 32-bit Java and their normal browser. The program's Release Notes has more information about eHour's versions.
eHour is an open source webbased time tracking tool for companies and organizations who need accurate information on how much time is spend on projects. eHour makes the amount of time your people spend on projects visible and available as simple and user friendly as possible. Keep time tracking as simple and user friendly as possible while still being very effective at measuring and reporting the amount of time your team spends on a project.
What's new in this version: Version 184.108.40.206: a number of bugs fixed such as ability to replace the logo used on Excel exports, auditing and trying to change the username of existing users.
More Products to Consider
- Take an open-source approach to office productivity.
- Convert PDF files to Microsoft Word format.
- Open, edit, and save files using the new file formats in 2007 v...
- View, navigate, and print PDF files.
- Convert JPG, BMP, TIFF, PNG images to PDF files.
- Increase billable hours using time tracking & project managemen...
- Get a comprehensive library of 4500 sample business letters and...
- Organize intuitively all your tasks.
- Prepare any business documents from 6000 professionally written...
- Manage all your projects, clients, and working hours.
- Create and share content with the help of a comprehensive set o...
- Provide Web-based timesheet for effective management and accoun...
- Transform PDF documents to Excel documents.
- Create, encrypt, and merge PDF files.
- Track your multiple projects focusing on schedules with a list-...
- Track employee time against projects and tasks for payroll and ...
- Keep track of how you use your PC.
- Project, manage, analyze, and understand your business performa...
- Render PDF files within applications that support the print fun...
- Create and manage timesheet records.
- Track, manage, and make a report of your time and expenses.
- Develop your own custom solutions visualizing various data.
- Track and manage jobs for small to medium contractors.
- Track how much time you spend on different projects and tasks.
Add Your Review
Submit your reply
E-mail this review
Report offensive content