CNET Editors' review
Weight loss is a multibillion-dollar industry in the United States, and it's no surprise that software developers want a piece of that action. eFit Free Edition is a basic meal planner and weight tracker that lets you keep a record of your food intake. Although it works well enough, it's not nearly as full-featured as similar programs we've seen.
The program opens with a pop-up window encouraging you to take a survey about your weight loss plans. At the end of the survey you are given a code that will disable the survey pop-up in the future. Once we were past that, we configured eFit with our preferred units of measurement (English or metric), entered our height and weight, and started exploring. The program has a simple meal-planning feature that draws on a large database of foods, including name brands and restaurant items. You can easily enter foods that aren't already on the list. Tracking your food intake is simply a matter of selecting what you've eaten (or plan to eat) for each meal; eFit will automatically tabulate your calories, protein, carbs, and fat. The program also lets you track 13 different body measurements, including your weight and the circumference of your arms, legs, waist, and chest. A grocery list generator looks at the foods you've eaten and then creates an editable list, allowing you to quickly remove items that you don't need more of just yet. An Online Services menu gives you access to the eFit message board. The program comes with a PDF Help file that does an adequate job of explaining its features. Overall, eFit functions as it should, but it's not very sophisticated. We were especially surprised, given the program's name, that it does not offer any way to track physical activity, this being one of the most important aspects of fitness.
eFit Free Edition leaves a folder behind upon removal. We recommend this program to all users who need a basic way to track their food intake and not much else.
eFit Free Edition is a diet/meal planner, and calorie counter that can aid in weight loss or building muscle mass. Achieve your goals, by easily tracking daily food intake, monitoring your weight and the progress you have made. Over 10,000 food entry in database. Shopping list generation. Body measurements tracker. Calorie counter. Calender overview of daily calories (kilojoules). US and metric measurements. Excellent user support. Support forums. Easy to use.
What's new in this version: New: Online grocery shopping available directly in eFit using generated shopping list. Shopping lists can now be generated based on any dates of future or past Daily Intake entries. BodyFat can now be estimated in the Measurements section with the click of a button. Metabolic Rate also now can be estimated in the Measurements section. Improvements: Removed advertising from shopping list screen; Added improved icons. Fixes: Removed logging that was creating multiple log files; Removed old survey... See all new features
More Products to Consider
- Look up words in thesaurus and dictionary from almost any progr...
- Hear the Athan (Azan) automatically five times a day at each pr...
- View your real-time physical position on moving Google Map.
- View satellite pictures, maps, terrain, buildings and other glo...
- View, read, and convert EPub e-books.
- Manage your eBook library and synchronize to reader devices.
- Calculate your body mass index and basal metabolic rate.
- Read King James Bible on your PC.
- Calculate your Metabolic Rate Body Mass Index, and daily calori...
- Discover how to type and improve your typing.
- Create a collection of dishes suiting your taste, nutrition, ca...
- Learn touch-typing with a program that dynamically adjusts trai...
- Compute your daily calorie requirements.
- Get carbohydrate information for 6000 popular foods.
- Learn how to correct the imperfections and look better.
- Get English and Sinhala definitions with technical terms glossa...
- Calculate calorie content per gram of proteins, carbohydrates, ...
- Get an English too Bangla dictionary.
- Search nutritional information and track daily caloric intake.
- Monitor your fitness level and progress.
- Get reminders about prayer time.
- Compute calorie intake, plan your diet, and get professional ad...
- Set goals, track calories, and log your exercise and weightlift...
- Learn touch typing in Hindi and English.
All versions:3.9 stars
out of 10 votes
Current version:4.5 stars
out of 2 votes
My rating:Write review
Results 1-2 of 2
"similar to Weight Watchers only no on web"
Version: eFit Free Edition 2.0
Like the interface. I want something to track my calories, this does the job. It also tracks protein, fat and carbs. Adding recipes was quite easy. I also wanted the software on computer and not on the internet. I think this will fit my needs well.
does not track fiber (small ding), does not have a favorite or frequent list, not intuative for selecting an earlier date or adjusting serving size, but it is possible. Does not include hip measurement for BMI. I think the estimated BMI may be off compared to other sources I have used
Recommend to anyone wanting to track food intake.
"Still the best free calorie counter"
Version: eFit Free Edition 2.0
- Easy to use
- Great support
- Frequent updates
- GUI and icons look a bit old
Having used some of the earlier versions, I was surpised to find that I had missed a couple of releases. The latest version just improves on an already great product. The new online shopping feature looks interesting, and the ability to copy foods from one day to the next are some great new additions.