CNET Editors' review
djDecks for Mac is a software mixer and audio player for the MacOS platform. There is a free download available, but the full copy of djDecks for Mac will cost ?80 (around $110 US). The software installs easily and can be told to read your existing library of music.
The djDecks for Mac interface shows two mixers for two audio streams in the lower part of the interface, and a graphic frequency display in the upper part. Sliders and knobs let you adjust the audio streams and the mixing. In addition to audio, video and karaoke clips can be played through djDecks for Mac. Up to four inputs or decks can be managed by djDecks for Mac, and you have full control of pitch, loops, beat measurement and matching, and special effects. A nice capability is redirecting the output from the software to either Shoutcast or Icecast directly, allowing for those who want to host their own casts to have a direct stream to the servers. An external controller can be used with djDecks for Mac too, if you have one available. djDecks for Mac has skins that can be applied to change the look (but not the functionality).
We tested djDecks for Mac for several weeks and had no issues with it. The interface is easy enough to master and can be controlled without much thought once the layout is clear. Graphically djDecks for Mac isn't as attractive as some other apps on the market, looking a little busy and gray, but skinning can help that. Whether djDecks for Mac is worth the rather high asking price is a question for the user after playing with the demo.
Editors' note: This is a review of the trial version of djDecks for Mac 0.99.djDecks - Create mixes on your Mac - Download Video Previews:
Mix your music, video and karaoke files easily with djDecks. djDecks has various dsp effects, such as a 3-band equalizer, advanced looping and echo (with low and hi-pass cutoff filters), automatic beat detection, flanger, gapper, normalizer and a spectrum analyzer per channel. Pre-listening can be done with a sound card with multiple outputs, split left and right channels of a regular soundcard or with a second sound card. Also supported is the use of external controllers such as midi controllers, Hercules DJ Console, Vinyl Control, Denon HC-4500, Reloop Digital Jockey, Pioneer CDJ-2000 and more
More Products to Consider
- Versatile DJ music mixer.
- Mix, scratch and remix MP3s or music videos live.
- Save YouTube and Vimeo videos in MP3 format.
- Learn to play an instrument, write music, record a song.
- Music creation and audio production.
- Transfer songs from your iPod back to your computer.
- Download videos and transfer to mobile devices.
- Digital video editing system.
- Explore the creative possibilities of mixing with this full-fea...
- Mix audio for live events or Internet radio broadcasts.
- Play nearly any audio or video file without additional codecs.
- YouTube video player and downloader.
- Universal, highly tweakable DVD/video ripper and converter.
- Convert MPC, APE, WV, FLAC, OGG, WMA, AIFF, WAV and Video to MP...
- Edit music, voice, and other audio recordings.
- Music notation with MIDI input & part extraction.
- Scheduling component for Radiologik DJ.
- Automated radio DJ assistant.
- Pause apps automatically to get more efficient CPU usage and in...
- Manage your music and movie libraries on your Mac, iPod, iPhone...
- Create multilayer audio loops with adjustments and effects.
- Alter hidden features in OS X.
- Switch Mac audio file format converter. Convert between over 40...
- Experience the power of WinZip-on your Mac! Compressing, protec...